I am a fan of BlackBerry. Truly.
    I was originally in for the keyboard on a 8900 (same reason for which I own thinkpad laptops). Then I got hooked by the communication capability of the device, basically push emails and bbm.

Now, from a hardware side, if BlackBerry licenses BlackBerry 10 for Touchscreen devices only it would not bother me, we could benefit from top of the league specs and enjoy the OS (predictive keyboard, gestures, flow and peek...) which is truly the amazing thing on the Z10 (nor the screen or the design is unique). I would still like to have a special kinda branding to it though. That way BlackBerry would get rid of part of their hardware business where they don't shine more than the rest.

As a result, they could focus on their hardware strength : keyboard devices. And eventually come back with innovative touchscreen features once things are better (to be innovative in touch screen hardware wise cost a lot more than physical keyboard devices: transparent display, curved ones shape-shifting ones...).

How does that sound to you ?

I am Zeeing things. There I Zed it.
    09-08-13 04:57 AM
    Your solution may be part of the search of a strategic partnership....who knows. Personally, i love BB10 and I hope to see it mature. If it's on another manufacturer's hardware it would not bother me at all.
    09-08-13 06:45 AM
    It could have been nice, but BlackBerry has been willing to license BlackBerry 10 for a while now and there doesn't appear to be any takers. Instead of announcing that they found a hardware maker wanting to use BB10, they announced that they are looking for someone to buy the company.

I really don't see why a company like Samsung, LG or HTC would want to license BB10 in the first place. They already have Android, which is free to use except for the money they send to Microsoft, has a great ecosystem already in place and is open source. Each of those companies can and do take Android and make it what they want. Would BlackBerry allow them that same freedom? Seems unlikely to me. So it would be like licensing WP8 except with less high quality apps. Even if Samsung made a BB10 device with industry leading hardware it still wouldn't sell if the software and ecosystem are still lagging behind the competition.
    09-08-13 06:55 AM
    Your solution may be part of the search of a strategic partnership....who knows. Personally, i love BB10 and I hope to see it mature. If it's on another manufacturer's hardware it would not bother me at all.
    Couldn't have said it better myself..

I love BlackBerry hardware, but what's really important is the software. Whatever happens be it a partnership, privatization or a buyout.. if in the end BB10 survives it I'll be happy.

Posted via CB10
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-08-13 06:56 AM
    I like your sentiment but I am inclined to think that with respect to hardware BlackBerry is either all in or all out. The market is rapidly moving away from physical keyboards (much to my displeasure) and for BlackBerry to focus on only those as it's hardware portfolio will give all the detractors even more reason to point out how BlackBerry is stuck in the past.

I'd like to see BlackBerry continue in some form and I am increasingly of the opinion that the only way that happens is to get out of hardware completely. Let someone else do that and provide the software.
    09-08-13 08:27 AM
    It could have been nice, but BlackBerry has been willing to license BlackBerry 10 for a while now and there doesn't appear to be any takers. Instead of announcing that they found a hardware maker wanting to use BB10, they announced that they are looking for someone to buy the company.

I really don't see why a company like Samsung, LG or HTC would want to license BB10 in the first place. They already have Android, which is free to use except for the money they send to Microsoft, has a great ecosystem already in place and is open source. Each of those companies can and do take Android and make it what they want. Would BlackBerry allow them that same freedom? Seems unlikely to me. So it would be like licensing WP8 except with less high quality apps. Even if Samsung made a BB10 device with industry leading hardware it still wouldn't sell if the software and ecosystem are still lagging behind the competition.
    Samsung is also developing Tizen, despite having huge success with Android.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    09-08-13 08:30 AM
    I am a fan of BlackBerry. Truly.
    I was originally in for the keyboard on a 8900 (same reason for which I own thinkpad laptops). Then I got hooked by the communication capability of the device, basically push emails and bbm.

Now, from a hardware side, if BlackBerry licenses BlackBerry 10 for Touchscreen devices only it would not bother me, we could benefit from top of the league specs and enjoy the OS (predictive keyboard, gestures, flow and peek...) which is truly the amazing thing on the Z10 (nor the screen or the design is unique). I would still like to have a special kinda branding to it though. That way BlackBerry would get rid of part of their hardware business where they don't shine more than the rest.

As a result, they could focus on their hardware strength : keyboard devices. And eventually come back with innovative touchscreen features once things are better (to be innovative in touch screen hardware wise cost a lot more than physical keyboard devices: transparent display, curved ones shape-shifting ones...).

How does that sound to you ?

Keyboards may be their strength but the masses do not want them. Thus it is an impairment. BlackBerry must master and innovate with the touch screen.
    Sales of the q10 will speak to this.

The keyboard is not going to pull in Droid or Iphone users. Enterprise or not.

Posted via a Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1443
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-08-13 08:40 AM
    Why should BB hardware be discontinued? There are emerging companies, like Jolla, who prolly will not overtake Android or iOS anytime soon, still their preorders are sold out. Why could BB10 on BB HW not be the niche market? I would still buy it and a lot more people too.
    09-08-13 08:50 AM
    Or could they license their hardware keyboard?

Focus on the OS and Partner with HTC for example, the latter is rather not going well with respect to Samsung.

They use the Android runtime to benefit from their special apps?

09-08-13 08:54 AM
    It could have been nice, but BlackBerry has been willing to license BlackBerry 10 for a while now and there doesn't appear to be any takers. Instead of announcing that they found a hardware maker wanting to use BB10, they announced that they are looking for someone to buy the company...
    Interesting that people lock onto one word in the press release, ignoring that they are looking for a partnership, or ways to go private, all in the name of increasing distribution. Selling the company was one option they were considering.

BlackBerry is looking for ways to increase BlackBerry 10 sales. We really don't know if a hardware manufacturer was interested or not, especially since the OS hasn't even been out for a year. It may have been that a hardware manufacturer is interested in using BB10, but not in a straight licensing deal. They may be interested in a partnership instead. It may mean another company (like Cisco) is interested in getting into the handset business and sees the BlackBerry manufacturing process as a quick start method to do so.

All of it is speculation right now.
    09-08-13 08:54 AM
    Could not agree more. Only thing is most experts including cumiatoski think a sale is coming. I am in favor of a partnership.

09-08-13 09:00 AM
    Amazon would be perfect for BB10! Rich media content and services, modern hardware specs + BB10 and we have a winning formula!
    They would get rid of Android os completely and embrace BB10 to all its services and devices!
    Posted via CB10
    igor10000 and SK122387 like this.
    09-08-13 09:02 AM
    Amazon would be perfect for BB10! Rich media content and services, modern hardware specs + BB10 and we have a winning formula!
    They would get rid of Android os completely and embrace BB10 to all its services and devices!
    Posted via CB10
    Plus Amazon could get rid of Android
    09-08-13 09:11 AM
    On the whole manufacturers already have android argument :

They have but they are suffering from a major player which is Samsung. The latter is effectively draining all the sales worldwide on all segments (low end to high end to tablets). Strategically if I was one of those companies, be it Sony or HTC I would look for a strong differentiator. Hardware wise it is difficult to compete since Samsung owns also the components markets.

Sony could fight with camera or screens given their expertise there. Plus they have strong activities with tvs, hi-fi and so on that can contribute to a seamlessly integration between devices .

I don't see HTC succeeding on the other hand. They don't have the same advantages that Samsung or Sony could have. They are in a so-so shape if I followed correctly. They could differentiate themselves very well with BlackBerry 10 and benefits from their development of Android apps widget on BlackBerry given the easiness of porting or the Android runtime.

They may be other who could rather go with something else than android.

toneytone likes this.
    09-08-13 09:40 AM
    If.you add to that services companies such as amazon ... could be potentially good.

Htc+amazon+panasonic+bb ?

09-08-13 09:41 AM
    A big challenge with other vendors licensing BlackBerry 10 is they would be hesitant to market devices with the word "BlackBerry" associated with it. With the upcoming beating on the 27th and beyond, public perception will erode even further. BlackBerry would have to change the name of the OS at least.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 09-08-13 at 12:18 PM.
    09-08-13 10:31 AM
    I think if no one is interested in preloading they should certify for a few open devices and let people download themselves for free or maybe a small fee. Make it as easy as now with the autoloader.

They need to make money from bb world instead of the OS itself and make it available on a few other devices like Ubuntu did with the nexus.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:59 AM
    It'll still lack of apps, that's it.
    09-08-13 11:07 AM
    It'll still lack of apps, that's it.
    Could you be more specific as to what you mean?
    09-08-13 11:55 AM
    I guess he means that the proposed plan does not solve the app gap.

It does actually if the partner is sufficiently influent and has own exclusive app: HTC does and amazon is. Panasonic could.

So it addresses the app gap simultaneously with the hardware issues. Amazon would be the best for the app exclusive :
    Kindle cascades app
    Amazon.com exclusive cascades app
    Amazon video on demand app
    Amazon mp3

09-08-13 12:13 PM
    BlackBerry 10 on a Sony plz!

Perfect in both worlds

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 12:17 PM
    BlackBerry 10 on a Sony plz!

Perfect in both worlds
    Not gonna happen. Sony is not interested in BlackBerry.
    09-08-13 12:20 PM
    Plus Amazon could get rid of Android
    It's not too far fetched.
    09-08-13 12:28 PM
    Would love to use Kindle phone running BlackBerry 10 (or renamed to something else).

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 12:29 PM
    Not gonna happen. Sony is not interested in BlackBerry.
    Did they official said that? Or is it a hunch?

09-08-13 12:38 PM
51 123