After taking a look at some of the financials that was released today and it sort of got me thinking. How many times will they have to delay their newest OS? RIM has been struggling to compete in this new marketplace since about 2010. I didn't abandon my blackberry until Aug 2011. This looks like a typical case of a company that got too fat and forgot how to truly innovate. Since BB OS 5, there has been talk about changing out their old Java based system to the QNX one (I think RIM bought QNX in 2009). The longer RIM waits to release their next generation OS, the less and less people will care about it. I can smell a webOS again. Even if RIM gets around to releasing their QNX OS, people are already used to getting all of their content on their mobile devices, and RIM doesn't have the necessary support from the content providers to push it out.

A lot of people have been arguing that not having a North American market doesn't mean too much to RIM, obviously this logic is faulty, since RIM actually recorded a loss this quarter. Plus, android devices are going to keep getting cheaper outside of this market, looking at google i/o, it seemed that the developing world are the hottest markets for Android devices. Couple that with a strong push from Microsoft (traditionally MS phones have been the #1 sellers in s-e Asian markets) and RIM is fighting for it's life.

Too me, it looks like a RIMpire crash. All RIM needs is a couple of disgruntled employees or even faulty hardware (hey getting rid of 5000 people could generate one or both of those scenarios) and a security breach could come out of the woodwork, or the RIM data centers might run into an issue and that has the potential of breaking whatever trust the market has left with RIM. RIM can't afford any surprises right now, and if you ask me it's what a company looks like when the time is ticking.
    06-29-12 08:21 AM
    I understood Thorsten Heins to say that the O/S transition is more work than they realized. And to be fair, I guess these transitions really are extremely difficult. Jim Balsillie said that it's way harder than it looks; this is where tech companies go to die.

That said, they obviously don't have a choice.

The other crucial takeaway is that the company will begin to burn cash at the end of the next quarter, and its finances will start to deteriorate faster and faster until BB10 is released. No telling what will happen after that other than that the company will either rebound or fold. There is no in between.

My contract on my ancient 9630 is up in August. I have a 64GB PlayBook that I love, so I will go without a phone contract until BB10 comes out. I bought stock at 11 and was going to buy more over the summer in anticipation of a fall 2012 release but now I will hold off buying more until late 2012, and I'm pretty sure it'll be for a lot less than 11. I think any further announcement of delay would be indicative of severe and at that point insurmountable management or financial problems.
    Last edited by ol9630; 06-29-12 at 09:12 AM.
    06-29-12 09:01 AM
    So far I know, layoffs haven't impacted NOC operational teams.
    06-29-12 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD