I am not one to bring my phone to the table at a restaurant etc. as I feel it can be rude to ignore the others and click and flick on the phone but yesterday I broke my rule. I was sitting with the boys after hockey and had my Z30 sitting on the table.

Anyways one of the guys must have seen the BlackBerry on the front and asked if it was the Z10. Keep in mind I live in Canada and I assumed we weren't as mislead by the media regarding BlackBerry as for instance the US. But not only did they think BlackBerry was being sold or going out of business, they didn't even know the Z30 existed. It blew my mind! To me this is the best phone on the market for a number of reasons yet they have never heard of it.

He asked me why is it so big. I felt like saying "that what she...." oh nevermind. But I did feel like saying so it doesn't suck! I explained I like it mostly for video and readability.

I explained to them how after using BB10 I absolutely hate using the home button on my iPad, a total pain the ***. I quickly demonstrated the Hub and how I can access it from within any app in a couple of quick gestures. I showed the text prediction and swiping and they were impressed as well. I think some of the iPhone users love some of the iOS 7 new features like quick settings so I explained how BB10 has had it since the inception, including apps running in background as well.

Then of course came but they have no apps right? I said oh you mean like how apple and android have so many, they agreed. I kind of led them down the path and got to explain how you can download android apps directly and showed them my last screen which I have all android apps on (Snapchat, Netflix, instagram, etc.) Personally I don't use them because to access them they asked for everything except my SIN, mother maiden's name and the kitchen sink. I guess I should be happy they didnt ask for my soul as well.

Needless to say the guys seemed surprised and impressed with the brief intro to BB10. I think its time I got a little more Bold (pun intended) and start bringing my BB10 devices to the table..... time to spread the word, someone has to.

What misconceptions do you still see out there?
    03-10-14 04:38 PM
    Nice. Glad you were able to show a few people the truth about your phone.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    03-10-14 04:43 PM
    I am not one to bring my phone to the table at a restaurant etc. as I feel it can be rude to ignore the others and click and flick on the phone but yesterday I broke my rule. I was sitting with the boys after hockey and had my Z30 sitting on the table.

Anyways one of the guys must have seen the BlackBerry on the front and asked if it was the Z10. Keep in mind I live in Canada and I assumed we weren't as mislead by the media regarding BlackBerry as for instance the US. But not only did they think BlackBerry was being sold or going out of business, they didn't even know the Z30 existed. It blew my mind! To me this is the best phone on the market for a number of reasons yet they have never heard of it.

He asked me why is it so big. I felt like saying "that what she...." oh nevermind. But I did feel like saying so it doesn't suck! I explained I like it mostly for video and readability.

I explained to them how after using BB10 I absolutely hate using the home button on my iPad, a total pain the ***. I quickly demonstrated the Hub and how I can access it from within any app in a couple of quick gestures. I showed the text prediction and swiping and they were impressed as well. I think some of the iPhone users love some of the iOS 7 new features like quick settings so I explained how BB10 has had it since the inception, including apps running in background as well.

Then of course came but they have no apps right? I said oh you mean like how apple and android have so many, they agreed. I kind of led them down the path and got to explain how you can download android apps directly and showed them my last screen which I have all android apps on (Snapchat, Netflix, instagram, etc.) Personally I don't use them because to access them they asked for everything except my SIN, mother maiden's name and the kitchen sink. I guess I should be happy they didnt ask for my soul as well.

Needless to say the guys seemed surprised and impressed with the brief intro to BB10. I think its time I got a little more Bold (pun intended) and start bringing my BB10 devices to the table..... time to spread the word, someone has to.

For most people, I suspect this is where any real or imagined opportunity to convert gets bogged down. Well, that plus the home button thingie.
    03-10-14 04:51 PM
    The "home button thingie" really gets me. Its like when I go from a tablet to a computer/laptop and I keep trying to tap the monitor like its going to do something.

Security is likely a big issue for people when considering adding Android apps to their BlackBerry system.
    03-10-14 06:22 PM
    I assumed we weren't as mislead by the media regarding BlackBerry as for instance the US
    Nope there are uninformed people all around the world even where you're from. Whats that saying about assuming...
    03-10-14 06:31 PM
    The other day was about to take a break from studying to go eat something, so I invited a friend. We went to this taco place and I started replying and answering back from my phone (z10) while waiting for the food. He actually was in shock of the speed I was writing so he asked me "what phone is that ?", and I simply showed the BlackBerry logo on the bottom and kept writing . He didn't asked for apps or anything like the usual, he simply saw that I could type faster than him (tbh I suck on touch screen devices, still after almost 1 year of having this phone) and that it was a BlackBerry, so he asked me, why he hasn't heard of it so I gave it to him so could interact with it. He actually said the os looked unreal (in a good way) , which is something that probably to most of us don't see because we use it every day, and coming from an iPhone user (friend) I thought it was strange.
    So a BlackBerry phone looked good by itself without the need to explain apps or anything, and that is plus. This experience really showed me that BlackBerry is mostly appealing to people working on professions ,for example in my case, law related.
    The it simply clicked on my mind, what the Crackberry and/or BlackBerry hard core user has said repeatedly, marketing sucks but most of all, going the corporate route was the way to go.

So yeah just like OP, I'm gonna have to be more public on my dinner invitations or any type, and just let the phone do its job.

Hardcore BlackBerry 'er
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    03-10-14 06:57 PM
    Nope there are uninformed people all around the world even where you're from. Whats that saying about assuming...
    "You make an a$$ out of u and ming"?
    03-10-14 07:01 PM
    All I know is that almost everyone I've shown BB10 to either got one or is planning to. Lol.

03-10-14 07:08 PM
    So not knowing all of the BlackBerry models is being misinformed in your view?

Come on. I don't know all of the Android models or Windows phone models. It's not because I'm not informed. It's because it don't care or feel it is important to know every model or smart phone.

BlackBerry loyalist need to get over themselves a bit. Calling someone out over not know the latest BlackBerry model is arrogance at its ugliest.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 03-10-14 at 09:41 PM.
    darkehawke likes this.
    03-10-14 09:22 PM
    True. We're part of a shrinking contingent that still cares about bb

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 09:30 PM
    The "home button thingie" really gets me. Its like when I go from a tablet to a computer/laptop and I keep trying to tap the monitor like its going to do something.

Security is likely a big issue for people when considering adding Android apps to their BlackBerry system.
    I've finally started using my windows 8 computer as if late. Have lost the habit of using the mouse. Trying to fix a coworkers win 7 computer today. I took a good six stabs at the screen with my index finger before he asked me exactly what I was trying to do.

Amazing how fast the brain forgets about physical buttons.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and anon(3732391) like this.
    03-10-14 09:42 PM
    True. We're part of a shrinking contingent that still cares about bb

Posted via CB10
    What is all this "caring about BlackBerry" nonsense?

BlackBerry is a company that makes devices. I understand liking certain products but "caring" about them. I like my Z10 and as long as BlackBerry still makes the best phone that suits my needs I'll still with them and even promote them to my friends and coworkers. But I can't say that I "care" about my Z10. That's just ridiculous.

Do you also care about your toaster or your Lysol automatic soap dispenser?

03-10-14 09:44 PM
    I've really only had positive response in regards to bb10, but the sad thing is, even though people really seem to like what they see, and even though they're impressed with the interface. I get the impression the "image" and popularity of apple and android keep them from even TRULY considering it as a viable option. It's sad really but I think the BlackBerry community (well maybe the crackberry community) has and is doing a good job of at least promoting the products in some way or form.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 09:59 PM
    I don't think someone not knowing all Blackberry models is someone that is misinformed. If people were not aware of models such as the Q5 I wouldn't be shocked. What I feel is disappointing is when people are not aware of their flagship device. Worse yet feeling the company was sold or bankrupt which is not true.

There are many Android phones and Windows phones out there but I am sure most people do know the latest Galaxy S-model and latest iPhone iterations. I don't know every Samsung model but I always know when the latest "flagship" model is coming out from the Galaxy S-series to the Note's. If I didn't that would be a marketing issue in my opinion. BlackBerry is similar to Apple in they are not carried by 3rd partys, this should make it easier to created brand awareness with less confusion. I have friends who are BlackBerry "loyalists" and have Z10s and they had heard nothing about the Z30 until they seen me with the phone, so even BlackBerry loyalists weren't aware of the newest flagship phone and that is concerning.

All this being said I really feel BB is moving in a positive direction and a lot of great news has come out lately and I think things are looking up!
    03-10-14 10:05 PM
    What I feel is disappointing is when people are not aware of their flagship device. Worse yet feeling the company was sold or bankrupt which is not true.
    Disappointing, yes that I can agree with you on.

Let's remember one thing about the Z30 though, there has been virtually no promotion. Heck, there hasn't been much on BB10 as a whole. So I can forgive some people for not knowing about the devices.

There are many Android phones and Windows phones out there but I am sure most people do know the latest Galaxy S-model and latest iPhone iterations. I don't know every Samsung model but I always know when the latest "flagship" model is coming out from the Galaxy S-series to the Note's.
    True, but again bear in mind that Galaxy S series has a lot more users and has a much better marketing. So knowledge the top Galaxy phone is a lot different than knowing the top BlackBerry phone.

Think about it this way. I know the top Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, models of cars. They are the big guys. But I don't know what Citroen's top model is.

All this being said I really feel BB is moving in a positive direction and a lot of great news has come out lately and I think things are looking up!
    Totally agree. They are moving in the right direction. A couple if high end devices that compete on specs and continued OS updates and people will know the flagship BlackBerry models.

03-10-14 10:21 PM
    Yeah that is my point, they should be aware and I am not blaming anyone. I believe it was a lack of marketing and promotion by BlackBerry and that is why consumers aren't aware of the premium devices

I would consider BlackBerry a household name as opposed to a Citro�n (which I have to admit I haven't heard of)

Let's just hope the new found momentum keeps on rolling.
    03-10-14 10:55 PM
    I'm in Canada as well and the BlackBerry hate here is still going strong. BlackBerry needs some goddamn IN YOUR FACE marketing in North America. I don't think it matters anymore whether the public hates BlackBerry or not. BlackBerry needs to make people realize that they're still around! At least people will hopefully stop with the "dead" or "bankrupt" statements that are obviously untrue.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74, Carl Estes and mnc76 like this.
    03-10-14 11:32 PM
    I'm in Canada as well and the BlackBerry hate here is still going strong. BlackBerry needs some goddamn IN YOUR FACE marketing in North America. I don't think it matters anymore whether the public hates BlackBerry or not. BlackBerry needs to make people realize that they're still around! At least people will hopefully stop with the "dead" or "bankrupt" statements that are obviously untrue.

Posted via CB10
    What are you talking about? What BlackBerry hate?

Is everyone who doesn't only have nice things to say about BlackBerry a hater?

BlackBerry isn't perfect and has a lot of problems right now. Many of which are of their own making. It's going to be a while before they are able to regain people's confidence.

Not singing BlackBerry's praises doesn't equate to hate. Get over it!

jh07 likes this.
    03-10-14 11:39 PM
    I've noticed many people still think of BlackBerry as the old BlackBerry they didn't like. Not many people know that BlackBerry has a new OS, a new CEO, and new devices. In other words, this is the new BlackBerry. People that I show my phone to are surprised and interested. They can't seem to believe it's a BlackBerry.

They seem to have a false image of BlackBerry because of the old BlackBerry, but when I show them my phone they seem to change their minds about BlackBerry. IMO BlackBerry might have a lot more potential customers if only they would tell people about the new BlackBerry.
    FairlightRacing and Deu2e like this.
    03-10-14 11:50 PM
    ya i was working home owner who like to stand and watch took out his bb.. and i said who bb eh... you going to get a new one and he was like no.. the went bankrupt. so i will get rid of this phone as soon as contract is up... so i was all no don't think they went bankrupt... and he was like ya they did..all matter of a factly so i was like what every buddy....

and it didn't help that every time i went to the bb display,, none of the phones worked... always said the battery was dead..
    03-11-14 12:05 AM
    I love BlackBerry
    I have q 10 and I will purchase next keypad phone or z30

BHiNDER
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    03-11-14 12:11 AM
    Usually people get intrigued when they see my modern, all touch screen phone and it says BlackBerry. So naturally they ask questions and I show them a few things like hub, active frames, keyboard, peak and flow gestures and basically just whatever they ask. Usually every time they get genuinely impressed with how fluid and capable it all is and think it's pretty cool and unique. But subconsciously they never consider the thought of owning a BlackBerry. Even after liking everything they've seen, we all just go back to what we are doing and no one gives BlackBerry a second thought and rightfully so.

Most people are more than satisfied (aside from bugs and issues every phone has) with what they have now, which usually is an iPhone or Samsung. I've said this many times before but unless BlackBerry does something so revolutionary that will make people double take and put the phone/OS on a stage, there is little reason to leave something you are invested and comfortable with for something that is only equally and sometimes less capable.

This is the problem with the current smartphone generation, we have reached somewhat of a plateau in innovation and until someone successfully breaks the current mold (like the original iPhone did), we'll continue to be in this plateau.
    03-11-14 12:31 AM
    In most peoples minds blackberry died when they had their shot with thorsten and couldnt make a go of it and were not successful at a sale. in more peoples minds blackberry is already done and gone in the US. EVerything they read or are told says they are finished the sale or outright foldingof the company is iminent and they have no hope to become anything. So is there any reason why most people dont really know about anything blackberry has done or is doing currently. Nope because they have already moved on. If you mention blackberry its like saying oh yeah those guys that use to be big in phones andare now gone. Thats why the consumer retail market is basically a waste of time in the US no one cares and no one wants to care. the only way to turn that tide is on the corporate side. introduce those products through business tthen people will have to carry and use them. once tthey get the feel for the new OS then you might see some traction but if you dont its the end. Unfortunately companies only have so many chances if you cant get things turned around either die or sell. i think thats the process with a quick timeline and hope for some new business. So far we dont know how corporate is doing and we wont know as it takes much longer for those kinds of things to roll through. We wont hear about it we wont see the big flashy consumer presentations and we probably will see very litte advertising. The corporate market is a different model that takes time and volume and lots of support. We will see what comes of it. The only way to know if its working is to start talking to businesses and see what they are using plus look for the traction in BBM ithink someone said this could be better then skype and i think they have a huge point here. IF this is like skype or better then you have your point of traction once that happens it could multiply the sales of devices and translate to corporate sales. This would lead to other things. Thats the plan lets hope it works. its not like any of these other guys like HTC for example just shove out this flagship phone hammer some advertising and hope you can get people to switch from samsungand apple. In most cases that hasnt worked in fact it has failed miserably. If it doesnt say apple or samsung it cant be any good. CAn it?
    03-11-14 12:53 AM
    The next time someone says BlackBerry 'went bankrupt' just laugh at them and say 'you actually believe the crap you hear on the news?'

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 02:31 AM
    I experienced same like the OP! Not in a restaurant but with my brothers girlfriend!
    She's rocking a very old Android Device (I don't even know the models name) and is looking for an upgrade! I showed her around a little bit with my Q10 and she was very impressed! Especially with the following features:

- Extreme typing velocity and the feel of the keyboard
    - story maker
    - BlackBerry Express
    - instant actions with the Keyboard
    - the hub and the gestures to get there
    - time shift function of camera

I hope she's upgrading to BlackBerry soon! She working at a tax consulting firm! They seem to have switched to iphones...
    Imo that's a main problem! The old brilliant business dinosaurs with their Blackberrys die out and the following generation doesn't even know the pros of the BlackBerry soft- and hardware!
    The main problem with BlackBerry sales isn't the quality of product, but the fact that most of the people don't even know blackberry!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    03-11-14 02:42 AM
73 123