One of many things that Mr Heins is doing right. Since he's come on board I've become more confident in RIMs ability to innovate, make great BlackBerry products and stay on track with time lines and communications.
    Even with the media and the naysayers here on CrackBerry I am super excited for what RIM and Mr Heins and his team is doing.

His communication yesterday wasn't news. But what is was was a smart move that inspires trust and openness. RIM is better already for it.

Crisis Communication
    Crises are like fires, and effective communications are the best way to douse them. Prompt and thoughtful communication can counter confusion and replace it with confidence in the organizations leaders.

Here's what Mr Heins did right yesterday:

1. Maintain your focus
    Calmness and listening becomes more important than ever. Leaders learn to tailor their communication to reflect hope and optimism at the same time they acknowledge the current difficulties.

2. Be Visible
    A leader's job is to step out immediately to both reassure employees and to respond to public concerns.

3. Get the awful truth out now
    Effective leaders gather as much information as they can. Do their best to determine the facts, and tell the truth to employees and the public as soon as possible.

4. Communicate a vision for the future.
    Moments of crises present opportunities for leaders to communicate a vision of a better future and unite people toward common goals.

Mr Heins is doing exactly all that, and doing it well. The former CEOs did NOT and that is why RIM where they are.
    But leadership has changed, RIM as an organization is changing and I'm optimistic they will comeback 100 times stronger than before!

Source of the Crisis Communication writing is "Understanding Management" by Daft/Marcic, 2011.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 05-30-12 at 01:12 PM.
    FMB8900, howarmat, hpjrt and 28 others like this.
    05-30-12 12:37 PM
    Further, Mr Heins presentation was far, far superior to the poorly done earnings call. He has clearly learned from his mistakes and has had a professional help him cr*ft yesterdays news release.

And yes, since he took over he has consistently delivered exactly what he said he would deliver and has delivered it when he promised.

Much to like here.
    05-30-12 12:47 PM
    I would say that this would qualify him as a leader, not a manager.
    05-30-12 12:56 PM
    Excelent post Chrisy
    FMB8900 and Chrisy like this.
    05-30-12 01:04 PM
    Time we counter all this negative stuff we are seeing and take the forums back! I'm still enoying the heck out of my BlackBerry and will in the future as well.
    hpjrt, anon(3896606) and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-30-12 01:07 PM
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breath a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

IF-Rudyard Kipling
    gryphon13, Mr.Monty and Chrisy like this.
    05-30-12 01:28 PM
    Heins sight is 20/20
    05-30-12 01:38 PM
    What if he didn't tell us all of the awful truth? We won't know until much later.
    05-30-12 01:48 PM
    When he took over he (and RIM) was attacked for not recognizing change was needed (not quite what he said in full context). RIM has been beaten by the media for not sticking to schedules and for delivering "half-baked" products.

Now, he begins to make serious change, including a very necessary trimming of the obesity in the company, sticks to schedules (latter half of 2012 for BB10), and once again RIM is being pummeled. It truly is fascinating.

He's doing all the right things now. The pieces are in place. They've been saying since the fall that it's going to be ugly until BB10 comes out in the latter half of 2012. Every time news comes out (which reinforces exactly what they've been saying for months) the press acts like it's news! People, until BB10 comes out, there's nothing to see here. Results will be horrible, though with the current moves better than expected as the cuts will allow them to preserve cash.

I hope the IBs are advising them to take the company private. If they do, they can quietly go about their business and release a fantastic product when it's ready and on schedule.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-30-12 01:54 PM
    When he took over he (and RIM) was attacked for not recognizing change was needed (not quite what he said in full context). RIM has been beaten by the media for not sticking to schedules and for delivering "half-baked" products.

Now, he begins to make serious change, including a very necessary trimming of the obesity in the company, sticks to schedules (latter half of 2012 for BB10), and once again RIM is being pummeled. It truly is fascinating.

He's doing all the right things now. The pieces are in place. They've been saying since the fall that it's going to be ugly until BB10 comes out in the latter half of 2012. Every time news comes out (which reinforces exactly what they've been saying for months) the press acts like it's news! People, until BB10 comes out, there's nothing to see here. Results will be horrible, though with the current moves better than expected as the cuts will allow them to preserve cash.

I hope the IBs are advising them to take the company private. If they do, they can quietly go about their business and release a fantastic product when it's ready and on schedule.
    A student journalist once told me that journalists tend to have short memory. They don't remember what they covered 6 months ago.
    05-30-12 01:55 PM
    Or 6 weeks ago.
    05-30-12 02:37 PM
    A student journalist once told me that journalists tend to have short memory. They don't remember what they covered 6 months ago.
    It's more so laziness and "mailing it in". It's too easy to write a biased/chicken-little article regarding RIM and have it pass as legitimate. It doesn't even have to be factually true or relevant. Just keep swinging that club and the mob laps it up.

Speaks volumes of the sad state media is in these days.
    05-30-12 03:05 PM
    Chrisy, get an overseas (prude) kiss for this
    05-30-12 04:03 PM
    Ha, thanks.

I wish Heins was at RIM a year ago. I hope there is enough time!
    05-30-12 09:41 PM
    wish he was canadian=p
    lool
    05-30-12 09:52 PM
    One of many things that Mr Heins is doing right. Since he's come on board I've become more confident in RIMs ability to innovate, make great BlackBerry products and stay on track with time lines and communications.

Even with the media and the naysayers here on CrackBerry I am super excited for what RIM and Mr Heins and his team is doing.

His communication yesterday wasn't news. But what is was was a smart move that inspires trust and openness. RIM is better already for it.

Crisis Communication

Crises are like fires, and effective communications are the best way to douse them. Prompt and thoughtful communication can counter confusion and replace it with confidence in the organizations leaders.

Here's what Mr Heins did right yesterday:

1. Maintain your focus

Calmness and listening becomes more important than ever. Leaders learn to tailor their communication to reflect hope and optimism at the same time they acknowledge the current difficulties.

2. Be Visible

A leader's job is to step out immediately to both reassure employees and to respond to public concerns.

3. Get the awful truth out now

Effective leaders gather as much information as they can. Do their best to determine the facts, and tell the truth to employees and the public as soon as possible.

4. Communicate a vision for the future.

Moments of crises present opportunities for leaders to communicate a vision of a better future and unite people toward common goals.

Mr Heins is doing exactly all that, and doing it well. The former CEOs did NOT and that is why RIM where they are.

But leadership has changed, RIM as an organization is changing and I'm optimistic they will comeback 100 times stronger than before!

Source of the Crisis Communication writing is "Understanding Management" by Daft/Marcic, 2011.

Great post, I totally agree.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-30-12 09:56 PM
    I like the fact that he was more clear this time, and I still respect him for being honest and realistic. Good job and good thread!
    Chrisy and Stewartj1 like this.
    05-31-12 06:08 AM
    I like the fact that he was more clear this time, and I still respect him for being honest and realistic. Good job and good thread!
    I agree. Something about him strikes the right chord with me.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-31-12 06:28 AM

I have thought long and hard about taking the company private. The predicament of Facebook has convinced this could be a good move.
    It would need to be well managed though in order not to look like they are quitting, but would enable them to work without having to worry about the 'opinion' of Wall Street.
    The previous regime did RIM so much harm that right now nothing, and I mean nothing they do is given half a chance. On the other hand Wall Street and most people do not understand that it takes time to build a new OS, not just a major update.
    05-31-12 06:34 AM
    Great post chrisy - I definitely agree with everything you've mentioned and referenced.

While I still thoroughly respect Lazaridis from a technical perspective, Heins leaves me having much more faith in RIM. It's a great feeling!
    Chrisy and kbz1960 like this.
    05-31-12 06:50 AM
    I guess I'm officially delusional. I visited my iPhone toting parents and my dad was telling me BlackBerry was going out of business.

I told him I'm staying positive despite the bleak financial situation and that I think BlackBerry 10 is going to be great and get RIM back up.

Even with all this doom, I'm so excited. So just call me a hopefully and delusion fan boy at this point!

Oh yeah, and I'm getting a 9930 this week!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-02-12 02:37 PM
    I guess I'm officially delusional. I visited my iPhone toting parents and my dad was telling me BlackBerry was going out of business.

I told him I'm staying positive despite the bleak financial situation and that I think BlackBerry 10 is going to be great and get RIM back up.

Even with all this doom, I'm so excited. So just call me a hopefully and delusion fan boy at this point!
    Love your enthusiasm Chrisy!

Awesome! Welcome to the Bold 9900/9930 club. You're ganna love it
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-02-12 02:47 PM
    Thanks! I'm all in.
    06-02-12 02:52 PM

The deluded people are those who think RIM will go out of business. There are only three reasons a company ceases:

1) It can't service the debt. That is, cash flow is insufficient to cover debt payments. RIM has no debt.

2) Management ceases operations. This only happens with privately owned businesses, usually because the owners retire.

3) The business is acquired and the new owner ceases operations. This is a possibility for RIM but by no means is it necessary given their financial situation.

RIM can, and I think will, shed expenses and downsize to match their market. They can continue operations indefinitely if they stay out of debt.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-02-12 03:17 PM

Well, that seals it. You're officially toast.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-02-12 03:17 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD