I thought I would initiate a tread on the positive side for a change.

I have been a long time RIM supporter, having used their phones for many years now. I own shares in RIM, I recently purchased seven Playbooks (64GB) for family members. My son is now using a BB smartphone and loves it, he is tough on hardware and this phone he cannot break...so far lol.

I for one believe RIM will succeed with TH at the helm. He has a clear road map that he is following to make the company a success. If he fails then it will be a sad day and I will chose another vendor but until that day happens I continue to support RIM by buying their products and services.

I realize I am a minority on this forum...go figure! But I am proud to hold a BB in my hand and I go out of my way to talk to strangers that still use BB phones. I ask if they are staying with BB or switching vendors. If they are on the fence I inform them of BB10 and the potential. I have very frank discussions with iphone and Droid users about BB's future. One thing I have noticed is the desire for iphone and Droid users to look once again at BB. They want more options than the aforementioned products. MS/Nokia being one and BB the other.

So I ask you what success have you had in conveying the BB10 message and BlackBerry's future?....because 6 months ago according the the tabloids BB was dead and buried.

Cheers all, looking forward to hearing some cool stories

Ben
    Last edited by bigbadben10; 10-24-12 at 01:26 PM.
    10-24-12 12:35 PM
    I haven't done a thing other than help current owners with some of their various BB related issues. Why would I. RIM can hire people to do that sort of thing. If people ask what I think of current and coming handsets from RIM or BlackBerry in general I will always do my best to answer truthfully, but it's not my job to proselytize for RIM, and unless I missed something, BB10 is still not out. Can you guess what is more annoying than offering unsolicited advice? Offering advice to someone about a product or service that is not even out yet.
    I really do want to know how you do it. Even Kevin doesn't know how well it will do (we all hope they knock it out of the Park), but how can you help someone make an informed decision, when you (or whoever) is not even in possession of all the facts? Not trying to be a smartarse here, but at the end of the day, all you can offer is your opinion on how well you think BB10 will do.
    raino and Masahiro like this.
    10-24-12 12:44 PM
    I tell my tech buddies not to count RIM out just yet. I know they have an uphill climb, but I'm optimistic that the tech world will have a different view of them come this time next year. And I've bought a BB or two.
    10-24-12 12:44 PM
    First off, you're not in the minority here -- just part of the less obnoxious majority.

I agree with you on all counts -- RIM has its best shot at succeeding under Thor. All we can really do between now and when BB10 drops is to make people aware of what's coming as well as the excitement around it from those who have had a chance to use and work with it. People need to know that BB10 is not going to be just another generation of the old BlackBerry.

Just a few hours ago I had lunch with a friend who again asked me how long I was going to hang onto that piece of crap on my belt, because it won't be around for very much longer. After I told him I like this piece of crap and to go eff himself, I proceeded to inform him of what's coming in a few more months. We argued a bit, Windows 8 somehow crept into the discussion, I dumped my chicken vindaloo on his head, and then he finally conceded that yeah, maybe RIM does have a chance to make a comeback. While he mopped up the vindaloo with a piece of naan, I continued explaining the overall positive feedback from the devs already creating new apps for the platform. It seems that, for a guy who generally keeps current with tech news, there's a lot of information he didn't have, and a good bit of misinformation that he did. I can only assume that his is not an isolated case.

Aside from wasting a perfectly good dish of mall food, this is what we, RIM's loyal supporters, can do.
    10-24-12 01:09 PM
    First off, you're not in the minority here -- just part of the less obnoxious majority.

I agree with you on all counts -- RIM has its best shot at succeeding under Thor. All we can really do between now and when BB10 drops is to make people aware of what's coming as well as the excitement around it from those who have had a chance to use and work with it. People need to know that BB10 is not going to be just another generation of the old BlackBerry.

Just a few hours ago I had lunch with a friend who again asked me how long I was going to hang onto that piece of crap on my belt, because it won't be around for very much longer. After I told him I like this piece of crap and to go eff himself, I proceeded to inform him of what's coming in a few more months. We argued a bit, Windows 8 somehow crept into the discussion, I dumped my chicken vindaloo on his head, and then he finally conceded that yeah, maybe RIM does have a chance to make a comeback. While he mopped up the vindaloo with a piece of naan, I continued explaining the overall positive feedback from the devs already creating new apps for the platform. It seems that, for a guy who generally keeps current with tech news, there's a lot of information he didn't have, and a good bit of misinformation that he did. I can only assume that his is not an isolated case.

Aside from wasting a perfectly good dish of mall food, this is what we, RIM's loyal supporters, can do.
    Awesome Bro....love it... Curry my fav too being an ex Brit lol
    sleepngbear likes this.
    10-24-12 01:13 PM
    when people mess around with my playbook and they're amazed, i have the 2012 may bb10 teaser ad on my playbook in High Def and i show it to them just to make them aware that BB is making an attempt to make a comeback!
    study_lady and bigbadben10 like this.
    10-24-12 03:07 PM
    I talk to people and tell them that RIM will have new BlackBerries out next year and that they will be as good or better than the competitors, with additional security and an ability to set up both
    work and personal areas.
    I go to websites where articles are written to clarify things when I believe that the article misstates things.
    I also own shares, so I have a financial interest in RIM becoming very successful again.
    10-24-12 03:17 PM
    I'll give them my money if they release a product that I want.
    That's all any corporation deserves from me.
    cgk, sashlon, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    10-24-12 03:20 PM
    Well I have bought err... 7 phones and a PlayBook.

Whenever I run into someone using a BlackBerry I usually converse about it if they are sort of the phone geek type. Funny story here...

I was in Tampa for a business conference recently and went out to dinner in Ybor City at The Columbia restaurant. I was at the bar using my phone to catch up on some emails, etc. while having a beer. This guy at the bar kept looking over at me. I went to the restroom -- as he also did -- and he asked me about my phone; stating he worked for Verizon as a sales rep locally. I told him it was a Bold 9930 and he said "yeah I thought so..". So we talked a few about BlackBerry and he was pretty level headed in acknowledging RIM had been taking it on the chin a bit. But he said he still had some customers that prefer BlackBerrys. And here's the funny part -- about that time another customer walked past us and had a Curve out checking it. The VZW rep shouted out - hey there ya go -- a BlackBerry user right there. The guy had passed us and heard him and without looking back held the phone above his head and said "Suuuuuuuuucks!".

We just looked at each other and laughed. Anyway. It struck me as funny.
    bigbadben10 and Stewartj1 like this.
    10-24-12 03:34 PM
    I am willing to fight to the last for RIM*

* I need RIM to send me a cheque for my daily consultancy rate for a minimum of three months for this to happen.
    richardat likes this.
    10-24-12 03:41 PM
    I buy their products and spread the news of BB10 on as many websites as I can. I let people I talk to know about the upcoming BB10 phones and if necessary encourage current users to hold on until next year. Even better I steer them towards the PlayBook to give them a new experience to keep them excited about what is coming.
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    10-24-12 03:44 PM
    Well, I've bought a lot of RIM phones and stuff, gave em my money and stuff. I thought that was good enough?
    10-24-12 03:58 PM
    I bought one of their BB phones and pay a monthly unlimited bill to keep it active. That makes me a RIM customer and at this point that should be enough. If it was ever to come to hand where I could defend BB, then I would do that too, but most of the people I interact with seem to not mind, or just dont care, which is the way it should be. It struck me funny from the above poster about the guy who said his BB Curve suuuuuucked. I guess if all he did was play games on it then it may very well suck, but My BB Curve does not suck. Its a great phone and does everything I want out of a phone. From a productive point of view its really hard to beat a BlackBerry
    mikeo007, Balti43 and bigbadben10 like this.
    10-24-12 04:04 PM
    To the title:

I�m not a RIM employee, so that question is not for me

As an user tough, i�ll help RIM if i�m helped to surpass my tech addictions(if it keeps me satisfied,tech related).
    richardat and bigbadben10 like this.
    10-24-12 04:34 PM
    I will go out of my way to correct a press article if I see a fact that's not quite right, which happens a lot actually. Strangely though, they almost never reply or change what they wrote even in the face of evidence. RIM's PR team must have a hard time.

The stuff that the press is right about though, is up to RIM to fix.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 10-24-12 at 08:33 PM.
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    10-24-12 04:41 PM
    I promote BlackBerry in almost every way. I even prefer to compose an e-mail on my Bold or PlayBook just to see that great signature "Sent via BlackBerry" than on my PC.
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    10-24-12 04:45 PM
    I think RIM just needs to put out a product people want and they will succeed. It really is up to them and partners.
    10-24-12 04:55 PM
    Thanks to all for contributing your thoughts and stories.

Cheers,

Ben
    10-24-12 07:47 PM
    I would love for RIM to sell there own product like everyone else. And it will promote itself if it is a good product and revolutionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 08:07 PM
    Hi all, I'm new here and to BB. I'll start out telling you what I have done to help BB stay alive.
    I dropped my (working) iphone into a drawer and now have 2 BB's that I use. a curve for my family members to use when their iphones die or just, "want a rest" (which they seem to want a lot) and a beauty white torch 9810 that I use full time now.
    I use my Playbook for almost all my computing needs, if not that, I use my Linux laptop. And I have 2 of my kids, and their boyfriends on BB playbooks now too.
    Let's not forget, I can't wait for the new phones and BB10 to come out. I'll be all over them when they're released.
    So I guess I'm a reverse convert of sorts, as I never had a BB till recently, love them and will not go back unless RIM is gone.
    Let's keep our home country's business in business...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    phonejunky likes this.
    10-24-12 08:09 PM
    I work in Education in Singapore, and the students I teach are the equivalent of technical college students (age-wise) in US/Can [18 - 23 years old].

In my college, here's what the phone demographics look like:

Out of 100 students:
    Android (Samsung/HTC): 50
    iPhone: 30
    BlackBerry: 15
    WP7: 5

It is accurate to say that BlackBerry is no longer popular in Singapore. My students usually ask me why I still use a BlackBerry when others (I am the only staff (1 out of 150) using a BB) have moved on to others.

My reply:
    1. BB is the only secure platform
    2. I cannot do any real work on a fullscreen device
    3. I am most productive on a BB

I really hope BB10 can help RIM make a comeback. iOS and Android are simply not good enough for me as I basically rely on my BB for all work communications.

Mark,
    Singapore

kbz1960, bungaboy and Bumble2000 like this.
    10-24-12 09:01 PM
    Oh yes, I almost forgot, my 3 yr old son is inseparable from my PB and NFS... RIM better pull out of this, or I'm a dead man.
    He's a hardcore BB user in the making. lol.

Attached Thumbnails What have you done or what are you doing to help RIM succeed?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    bb624 and bungaboy like this.
    10-24-12 09:03 PM
    I bought one of their BB phones and pay a monthly unlimited bill to keep it active. That makes me a RIM customer and at this point that should be enough. If it was ever to come to hand where I could defend BB, then I would do that too, but most of the people I interact with seem to not mind, or just dont care, which is the way it should be. It struck me funny from the above poster about the guy who said his BB Curve suuuuuucked. I guess if all he did was play games on it then it may very well suck, but My BB Curve does not suck. Its a great phone and does everything I want out of a phone. From a productive point of view its really hard to beat a BlackBerry
    Yeah I like the curve a lot for what it is. Very durable messaging phone. Web browsing on any pre os7 curve would of course not be great. I used opera mini on my tour and got by. Not sure what that guy needed to do but it was funny as heck nonetheless.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    10-24-12 09:12 PM
    I keep buying their phones. Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    shaleem likes this.
    10-24-12 09:23 PM
    I used bbm and made some phone calls today and will continue to do so.
    Does that count?
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-24-12 10:27 PM
72 123