I'm not a fan of 16:9 phones and absolutely loathe 18:9.

I don't see why there isn't more demand for a large 4:3 vkb phone. I understand tcl wants to stick with pkb because of uniqueness but if there are no wide vkb on the market currently...

The passport drew a lot of curiosity from iOS and Android users. Now that bb is on Android why not play that card?
    02-19-18 04:41 AM
    android doesnt work and not allowed on a screen like that. Apps were never made with that in mind
    02-19-18 04:53 AM
    I'm not a fan of 16:9 phones and absolutely loathe 18:9.
    Most ppl are not like you and me. Today's world is about "media consumption" - and that 16:9 best suits that end.

The passport drew a lot of curiosity from iOS and Android users.
    Unfortunately those curiosities didn't convert to sales. And that matters in keeping a business afloat. Thus BB Ltd. fell ~ and BBMo is hesitant to go down that path.

"Work Wide" has its followers*, I personally feel it was the way to go, to be different - and best fit for a productivity oriented mobilephone. However, it was waaaay ahead of its time. And that was the bane of the business, besides a 'lackluster marketing'.

*I am one of them. Passport forevaaaa!
    02-19-18 05:54 AM
    That Passport slider render that someone posted on another thread is the answer to all these problems.

Same exact dimensions as the Passport, except all screen which accommodate the allowed screen ratio (4:3 or 3:2, whichever) and a slide out wide PKB.

Basically, a breeding of Passport and Priv.
    RLeeSimon, methodinsane and Qorax like this.
    02-19-18 06:16 AM

The passport drew a lot of curiosity from iOS and Android users. Now that bb is on Android why not play that card?
    Curiosity, maybe. Sales, no.
    02-19-18 07:30 AM
    We have to be honest with ourselves here...the vast majority (myself included) bought into the Passport form factor because it offered the biggest and best specs of any BlackBerry at the time. And in spite of its clumsy proportions, many learned to love it.

However, in the market at large it was received at best as an odd ball...and at worst, with ridicule. The proof...if 'working wide' (with a keyboard) had any real traction it would have been copied by at least one or two other major OEMs.

It appears upcoming the Athena may be making a play for the bigger is better PKB fan base that were drawn to the Passport. I still believe the three row keyboard was the one contribution of the Passport design that made sense, but it all comes down to the execution. They need to be careful...a large four row keyboard device could end up looking even more ridiculous than the Passport, particularly if it duplicates the already large bezels of the KEYone and leads to very little improvement in the screen to device ratio.
    katxeus and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-19-18 09:13 AM
    The same thing that happened to "Tools, not toys", BB10 on the PlayBook and "we're fully committed to BlackBerry 10!".
    02-19-18 12:21 PM
    The same thing that happened to "Tools, not toys", BB10 on the PlayBook and "we're fully committed to BlackBerry 10!".
    Agreed.

Keep pumping millions into failed products so BlackBerry can keep its "word".
    02-19-18 12:45 PM
    You can work tall on the K1 lol. Two apps open at once on the screen.
    02-19-18 02:35 PM
    I get that it didn't equate to sales but that is more likely attributed to the app gap* and the stigma around blackberry for younger consumers.

*3rd party access to the play store isn't really a defense here.
    02-19-18 03:16 PM
    They were just slogans to justify whatever product or service they were trying to sell at the time.

What happened to One Handed Use - Z10.
    What happened to the "Internet of Things" - Thorsten Heins milked that one for a while.
    katxeus likes this.
    02-19-18 03:38 PM

What happened to the "Internet of Things?
    It's called endpoint management now.
    02-19-18 04:41 PM
    I get that it didn't equate to sales but that is more likely attributed to the app gap* and the stigma around blackberry for younger consumers.

*3rd party access to the play store isn't really a defense here.
    Well the stigma is still there.... And how many 3rd Party Apps will work with 4:3 or 1:1?

Wish we knew how many BlackBerry Passports were sold for a profit.... Still think if they had released the Z50 in place of the Passport it would have sold even better (neither was going to change the fate of BB10).
    02-20-18 11:45 AM
    I have never used android but arent the apps for android phones and android tablets the same? 4:3 is common ratio for tablets right?
    poloandpearls likes this.
    02-20-18 01:26 PM
    I have never used android but arent the apps for android phones and android tablets the same? 4:3 is common ratio for tablets right?
    they are not the same and there are plenty of 16:9 18:10 etc tablets out there
    02-20-18 02:30 PM
    android doesnt work and not allowed on a screen like that. Apps were never made with that in mind
    4/3 screen ratio is perfectly allowed and works.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-18 02:50 PM
    You can work tall on the K1 lol. Two apps open at once on the screen.
    "Two apps open at once on the screen" which is already very small!
    Qorax likes this.
    02-20-18 04:53 PM
    What you see is wider than on a Passport, no? It's just a shorter window.
    02-20-18 05:09 PM
    02-20-18 05:09 PM
    Personally i loved passport in past but after using 18:9 ratio i can't think of using it again
    02-20-18 05:14 PM
    02-20-18 11:49 PM
    I received work wide free as promotion on my passport never used it. the key want to use a split screen reasonably well
    03-09-18 11:58 AM
    I love the passport and also love the blackberry OS.... I wish i could get them both in a phone..... ever since passport has become obsolete, I cannot really like any other phone on the market ever since. Do not like iphone and hate android... is there any hope for my salvation?????
    jope28 and ezubeBB2013 like this.
    05-02-18 05:51 AM
    One thing that is seriously overlooked is how comfortable the Passport is on the eyes. I swear that the width of the screen reduced a problem with my left eye that now turns inwards when staring at a narrower screen. I wish they just made the whole thing bigger and I would be in heaven.
    05-03-18 03:09 PM
    .....What happened to One Handed Use - Z10.....
    I love the z10 for this. When I temporarily had to use a Q10 for my personal device for a month or so, it was really awkward for me (but I did get almost used to it).

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-03-18 05:05 PM
36 12