I hope no one ever likens this place to Twitter again.

You can't spell Twitter without twit.

Sums up that whole site right there, only I use much stronger language than that to describe it to all my friends.
    09-21-09 09:05 AM
    There is a way to reduce many redundant threads. I've seen 2 different methods used on this forum, and while both are effective, only one will educate the OP.

The first method is what I have labeled "The Educated Snob" approach, in which the responder sarcastically posts that "this question has been asked a millions of times - just search for your answer."

This type of response is usually posted for 3 reasons. First, the responder wants to show his contempt for the OP's question. Second, the responder wants to embarrass the OP by insinuating that they are stupid and/or lazy for not using the Search feature before posting their question. Third, it makes the responder feel good to flame a new member and maybe even run them off the forum with their sarcasm.

Personally, I don't understand why the "Educated Snob" even responds to these threads. These types of responses are a total waste of time for everyone.

The second method is what I have labeled the "Hidden Persuader" approach. This responder will usually post a link with a possible answer to the question and explain how the link was obtained.

This type of response will only accomplish 2 things. First, it will answer the question and second, it will show the OP how well the search feature will work if used correctly.

Sorry, I forgot-there is a third issue the second method will resolve. It will end the thread with a good taste in everyone's mouth.
    09-21-09 09:12 AM
    i will admit though, even i get mad at our search function sometimes and find its results to be messy. its a little sensitive, and often returns alot of redundant threads that just have your key searched word in, not the actual thing you may be looking for. however, this is where google comes into play. you will get returns from the blackberry forums, crackberry, hofo and other forums, that might be more specific.

also new users, you can be more specific in your search criteria by cutting out sections of the forum you dont wanna look in.

example: if im going to search for a theme for the 8900, i will specify the search to look in the 8900 forum or the themes forum only. it will leave out all other redundant thread and post regarding themes for all other models. less crap to look through = faster and more precise results.
    Thanks dictoresno, you've led right into a suggestion I have for thread clutter.

N00b poster, (A), posts oft repeated question, or question with easy to find answer.

Veteran member, (B), responds by finding the answer in another thread, and posting the search terms used to find it, with an additional clue if needed.
    Then, PM's a mod to close the thread. Once closed, it will quickly fall to the bottom of the forum.

N00b A now gets some practice on effective searching.

2 days later, another n00b (C) searches using the same terms as n00b A's header. He finds this thread, and improves his searching skills by following the example set by veteran B.

RESULT:
    . Veterans are being helpful instead of irritated.
    . Newcomers learn to help themselves.
    . Forums become cleaner and more efficient, linking future searches to a resolution.

win win win
    09-21-09 09:15 AM
    There is a way to reduce many redundant threads. I've seen 2 different methods used on this forum, and while both are effective, only one will educate the OP.

The first method is what I have labeled "The Educated Snob" approach, in which the responder sarcastically posts that "this question has been asked a millions of times - just search for your answer."

This type of response is usually posted for 3 reasons. First, the responder wants to show his contempt for the OP's question. Second, the responder wants to embarrass the OP by insinuating that they are stupid and/or lazy for not using the Search feature before posting their question. Third, it makes the responder feel good to flame a new member and maybe even run them off the forum with their sarcasm.

Personally, I don't understand why the "Educated Snob" even responds to these threads. These types of responses are a total waste of time for everyone.

The second method is what I have labeled the "Hidden Persuader" approach. This responder will usually post a link with a possible answer to the question and explain how the link was obtained.

This type of response will only accomplish 2 things. First, it will answer the question and second, it will show the OP how well the search feature will work if used correctly.

Sorry, I forgot-there is a third issue the second method will resolve. It will end the thread with a good taste in everyone's mouth.
    LOL! Get...out...of...my...head!
    09-21-09 09:20 AM
    I'm on board both with LSG and acecommander. If you find a thread you can easily find the information for, go ahead and post a link and gently say something like "and more information can be found here as well" with a link.

Maybe include some keywords, too, indicating that in the future, if they want to find information on the topic, then they can follow these keywords. The other day, a new CrackBerry user and new BlackBerry owner asked what the first things she should do were. Within minutes, several of us had posted in unison about the BB101 series, someone had pointed her in the direction of the "BlackBerry Help" tab up in the right-hand corner, and I had pointed her in the direction of her specific device's forum. Nobody got snarky, we simply offered suggestions, tipped her off to the search function, and pointed her in the right direction. Case closed.

What I can't seem to grasp, though, is that as people are looking through the forum topics on their PC (I know you can't do this on your BlackBerry), they can hover their cursor over a topic title and get the first several words of a post. I use that method to quickly decide if it's a post I can help with or something I want to scurry on past. Takes a couple of seconds, and I don't have to open the thread.

In the end, as someone said...if you get that frustrated, maybe it's time to take a step back from the forum for a bit. We were all new once...remember to guide, not chide.

Oh, and +1 for not using the word "********."
    09-21-09 09:26 AM
    Hey Folks,

2008 is winding down and man oh man has it be a crazy good year for the BlackBerry world and especially CrackBerry.com. We've seen the site grow by leaps and bounds. We've truly grown from CrackBerry village to CrackBerry community to CRACKBERRY NATION!

With this growth and size come huge benefits and also challenges. Looking at benefits, we have a huge knowledge base, a vibrant and diverse community and a lot of fun!

On the other side of the equation, we have an emerging challenge that seems to be on a bit of a slippery slope as of late and it's something we need to resolve to fix as a community - a lack of patience! In pretty much every BIG forum community I have ever visited or participated in, there always seems to be the same issue... As the site grows, the tone of the board changes a bit. Because we are such a big and active community, we are comprised of members from all parts of the BlackBerry life cycle - complete newbies, old pros and everything in between. We have members who have been here a week and members who have been here since day one. This mix causes the challenge... it's been noted in this thread and I received an email from a member just yesterday who words it so well I'm simply going to cut and paste it in here to explain:

Let me preface this by saying I enjoy the site and will continue to...
    but... I gotta say that while there is an obvious problem with people
    posting topics before they search (or search WELL, which is part of it
    because a search only works well depending on your search-terms), I am
    having a much bigger problem reading post after post of taunting or
    chastising people for failing to use the search (well).

While a poster might post one misplaced topic, the thread then keeps
    getting new life as poster after poster appoints themselves in charge
    of explaining how that topic has already been discussed and/or making
    fun of the poster for being so moronic (sometimes actually calling
    them a moron) for not doing research before excitedly posting. It's
    not merely a waste of time to see these posts--it's offputing from a
    tone-of-the-site perspective.

So here's our resolution CrackBerry Forum Nation......

As a community, let's keep it helpful and friendly in the forums for 2009.

At CrackBerry.com we take pride in keeping these forums very open. If you've been here a while you've probably noticed this yourself. We don't want the forums to be a police state where you need to be scared to post something for fear of getting banned by a moderator.

At the same time, posting on this forum is not a right... it's a privilege that's granted when you register here and agree to the terms and conditions, which include following the forum rules and guidelines, including our rules for General Member Conduct, which I'll post right here:

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always use the Report Post function - exclamation mark inside a triangle at the top right corner of every post - to report something to the mod team that you think is offside). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

When it comes to this forum resolution for 2009, it's going to take the whole community to see make it happen. We *could* put down the moderation hammer and clean things up, but honestly, that's the last thing I'd ever want to see happen here and it would be worse on the forum as a whole. We need to police our own actions and the problem will take care of itself. It really is simple. If you can't be nice in the response you're about to post, then just don't post it. The community is big and somebody who's willing to respond in a more positive tone is likely just around the corner and will step in.

Let's make it happen CrackBerry Nation! As I said above, this is an issue that all big community forums tend to run into, but I know this forum is a cut above the rest. We can continue to make this THE place to be for all things BlackBerry and do it in a friendly and fun manner.

Have a safe and happy holiday season and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Kevin posted this last year as a suggestion to all members.

Short version: As a community, let's keep it helpful and friendly in the forums for 2009.

We have an challenge on our hands, in the final quarter of the year, Research in Motion added 3.9 Million net new subscribers. That is over 43,000 new BlackBerry owners, every day.

Many of them will read the first couple pages of the Getting Started Guide and pick the rest up intuitively. Many others will have friends that will guide them through the confusing parts. Many will call on their carriers for support.

Many others will turn to their computers and search engines. Nearly any BlackBerry related question will find hits on CrackBerry, usually right at the top of the list. That is how many of our new member find us, they did search.

When you view the front page visitor stats, one fact stand out clearly. For every member currently viewing the forum, there are ten guests. Clearly, they are finding exactly what they are looking for.

Why is that? It is not the well oiled search engine, it is the fact that other new members are asking the questions and getting well thought out replies from our experienced members, the ones that have taken Kevin's suggestion to heart. Every time we answer a question, we are answering the same question to hundreds of folks at a time.

We have a new media experience. Unlike Television, Radio or print media with their one way delivery of content, our media is interactive and driven by questions.

On behalf of all the experienced members that find pleasure in driving this interactive media, thank you all for the patience you have shown and for making this the premier BlackBerry support site.
    09-21-09 09:33 AM
    I really hate how Crackberry forces you to read those threads you find annoying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i sense a bit of sarcasm
    09-21-09 09:37 AM
    Unfortunately, this is also a very redundant and useless thread. How many of these are already posted?

09-21-09 09:43 AM
    Unfortunately, this is also a very redundant and useless thread. How many of these are already posted?

Since you consider this thread useless, why did you even bother to post a statement here. What motivated you to post a completely negative and unproductive response to this thread. Was your post a failed attempt at humor or was it just a sarcastic remark made because you're having a bad day?

By the way, to answer your question, if you use the search feature at the top of the page, you'll find the answer to your question regarding how many threads have been posted about this topic.
    09-21-09 10:06 AM
    Couldn't have said it better myself

09-21-09 10:11 AM
    I actually agree with everything you said acecommander! You got me with that one! Have a great day!

09-21-09 10:19 AM
    You're Canadian, don't confuse yourself with our American counterparts. It is actually illegal to promote hate speech and single out individuals. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms defines what are known as "protected classes" and it's not ok to bash them even under the guise of "free speech".

So mods, start censoring the Canadians please. But it's ok to leave the US folks alone.

[edit]

It seems the person I am talking about just had their post removed. I am referring to someone wanting to single people out, that is what spawned my post here.
    09-21-09 11:09 AM
    Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Warnings/Ban General Policy
    Forum moderators do not seek to issue warnings or bans to members. It is the aim of CrackBerry.comcom's founders, owners, administrators and moderators that the Community Forums be a friendly and welcoming environment for all BlackBerry owners and enthusiasts of any skill level. That said, members who do not follow the simple rules above and hurt the environment vs. help it will be warned. We would rather have everyone be an active member of CrackBerry.com, but action will be taken against members who continually break the rules and cause more harm than good. The general policy of the CrackBerry Moderation team is 3 strikes and you're out. Depending on offense, the moderation team reserves the right to act more generously or with greater severity.

Our terms of service are there to protect all of our members from personal attacks and abuse of posting privileges.

It does not matter which country a member is located in, all members have agreed to abide by those terms.

The member involved is now taking a imposed break in the hope that he will return and respect our terms of service.
    09-21-09 11:19 AM
    Our terms of service are there to protect all of our members from personal attacks and abuse of posting privileges.

It does not matter which country a member is located in, all members have agreed to abide by those terms.

The member involved is now taking a imposed break in the hope that he will return and respect our terms of service.
    I was making a bit of a joke there about the US people flaming away. In all it's just bad manners and rather childish anyhow, one would hope we can all conduct ourselves appropriately.
    09-21-09 11:32 AM
    So, if what I've read here is true, than there are 3 actualities to consider. First, most senior members are tired of redundant "noob" threads, second, "noobs" are tired of being "flamed", and third, senior members assume moderators are not doing a good enough job of keeping down "thread clutter." Solution: just answer the question again, or as stated earlier, throw a link to another thread. For the frustrated senior members, just choose a different topic and ignore the one that annoys you.
    09-21-09 11:35 AM
    So, if what I've read here is true, than there are 3 actualities to consider. First, most senior members are tired of redundant "noob" threads, second, "noobs" are tired of being "flamed", and third, senior members assume moderators are not doing a good enough job of keeping down "thread clutter." Solution: just answer the question again, or as stated earlier, throw a link to another thread. For the frustrated senior members, just choose a different topic and ignore the one that annoys you.
    This should be part of the rules
    09-21-09 11:37 AM
    It's hard to ignore the same thread being re posted time and again, especially when numerous identical ones come up in the same day. Seen that happen enough, it's like people sometimes don't even read a few lines down to see what they want to know is already posted. That's when action needs to be taken most, to teach people to at least be aware that a quick glance at a minimum is in order.
    09-21-09 11:37 AM
    It's hard to ignore the same thread being re posted time and again, especially when numerous identical ones come up in the same day. Seen that happen enough, it's like people sometimes don't even read a few lines down to see what they want to know is already posted. That's when action needs to be taken most, to teach people to at least be aware that a quick glance at a minimum is in order.
    The people you refer to are the new members, by definition, they have not been here to learn the ropes.

As for thread clutter, they all drop of the first page in a day, it's not worth the time to search out the optimum thread to link when you can personally address it in two sentences. The first one being, Welcome to CrackBerry.
    09-21-09 11:46 AM
    The people you refer to are the new members, by definition, they have not been here to learn the ropes.
    Yep, that's why I said teach. I'm a big advocate of helping people learn to do things for themselves, especially the new ones. The older members though should know better, and if not we can make fun of them mercilessly.
    09-21-09 12:03 PM
    LOL, good luck with that.
    09-21-09 12:10 PM

As for thread clutter, they all drop of the first page in a day, it's not worth the time to search out the optimum thread to link when you can personally address it in two sentences. The first one being, Welcome to CrackBerry.

HEY, who's this new guy Reed McLay?
    09-21-09 12:11 PM
    This thread has given me lots of laughs. Gosh I love this place.

But to respond to the OP, I agree people need to be civil here.

To everyone who thinks it's easy to find things here, I'm very familiar with forums and computers. I had a computer long before there was a www and forums. But sometimes the search function is not accurate or you can't find exactly what you're looking for.

For instance, I was curious for the meaning behind everyone's user name. So I did a search about user names. Didn't find anything and posted about it. Amazinglygraceless was nice enough to come along and without flaming post a link to a thread. Title of the thread was about "SCREEN" names not "USER" names. See how you can not find what you're looking for?

Then there are those who have no clue about searching or using keywords. If you aren't computer literate you end up posting in the wrong place and not searching because you have no clue how to.

PS. I loved the post about including Haldol in the crackberry store!

Last edited by NurseBerryAddict; 09-21-09 at 12:32 PM.
    09-21-09 12:28 PM
    Well said. As stated "numerous times", everyone was new to this forum at one time or another. The assumption by some is the person that you just "torched" isn't going to respond back and/or follow the set example as the norm of flaming others. Works both ways. Simply ignore it.
    09-21-09 12:42 PM
    Well said. As stated "numerous times", everyone was new to this forum at one time or another. The assumption by some is the person that you just "torched" isn't going to respond back and/or follow the set example as the norm of flaming others. Works both ways. Simply ignore it.
    That is were we come in. When that happens, the whole community is empowered to deal with by clicking on the Moderator Alert Button.

When you do that, a dozen BlackBerrys go Bzzz.

It may be as simple as content moderation to deal with swear words or it may involve removing an entire post. That is our job, we appreciate your help is keeping up the community standard.

No tolorace for SPAM or Flame. The answer is one button click away, 24/7.
    09-21-09 12:47 PM
    *grabs more popcorn*
    09-21-09 12:50 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD