I totally agree with dictoresno, anything any new user will ever need is located somewhere on this site. I think from now on, when posts like these arise, I'll post a link to its duplicate on the site.
    we seem to agree on alot of things lately, lol. but in all serious, alot of clutter can be fixed if repeat/duplicate threads are constantly locked, merged or moved. we dont need 75 threads in the General Forum regarding BBM5. and instead of jumping right into posting on the forums, new members should spend an hour browsing their respective phones forum and the lecture series.
    09-21-09 01:14 AM
    Well since all the questions have answers to them, I guess I'll never make it past my "User" status! Okay, what kind of plastic (be specific now) are the Pearl's keys made out of? How many more questions about our BB's can be asked?
    09-21-09 01:27 AM
    Well since all the questions have answers to them, I guess I'll never make it past my "User" status! Okay, what kind of plastic (be specific now) are the Pearl's keys made out of? How many more questions about our BB's can be asked?
    probably some type of thermoplastic. my best guess is Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), considering most other electronic and home accessories and housings are made out of this.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 09-21-09 at 01:44 AM.
    09-21-09 01:42 AM
    If being on a forum frustrates you, perhaps it's time to step away for awhile.
    09-21-09 01:45 AM
    probably some type of thermoplastic. my best guess is Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), considering most other electronic and home accessories and housings are made out of this.
    Could be a form of polystyrene. Just saaying is all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 01:47 AM
    Could be a form of polystyrene. Just saaying is all.

this is true, but after looking it over a little deeper it seems PVC is the most preferred material for electronics. especially in computer cases and other electronics housings. it appears that Polystyrene is used more for cd jewel cases and plastic cutlery. i dont think its as strong/tough as PVC, therefore not used in more expensive items.
    09-21-09 01:53 AM
    I have noticed that most of the threads that turn into bashing or flame threads are a result of either the original poster ignoring the help they are being offered or a result of people coming in to boast about getting one over on their carrier or asking how to get one over on their carrier. Civilized people often take great offense to newcomers looking for ways to defraud their carriers.

As for directing people to threads that already contain an answer that is one of the best things because it helps get answers that have been discussed and have info that may help with a related problem to the original question. It is however a thankless effort as I found out last night. A question was asked and not knowing the answer, I searched and found a thread that had 2 possible answers to the problem. I posted the thread link and suggested that link might be helpful. Minutes later the linked post contained a thank you to one of the members who had suggested the right solution but no mention of that on the original thread. I had to laugh.
    09-21-09 02:03 AM
    They tend to choose plastics with little or no ability to generate static charges, not sure how PVC fares in this regard.

It's like the screen protector the device is shipped with, a very special plastic. We had an issue with an LCD device we manufactured at work. The company put the wrong kind of cover on and everyone who tore the sticker off zapped the device. That was a bad time.

09-21-09 02:03 AM
    From my reading..most electronics cases are made of ABS, which is a form of PolyStyrene. I have never held a Pearl but if the keys are not as hardened as the case then it is probably a PVC with a copolymer to soften it as PVC is generally stiffer and can become brittle over time. However the static issue might make PVC a problem as if you have even cut a piece of PVC pipe you can see first hand the static it generates. I bet there if a materials data sheet floating around the web somewhere that has the actual material, I just didn't serach that hard to find it..lol
    09-21-09 02:26 AM
    From my reading..most electronics cases are made of ABS, which is a form of PolyStyrene. I have never held a Pearl but if the keys are not as hardened as the case then it is probably a PVC with a copolymer to soften it as PVC is generally stiffer and can become brittle over time. However the static issue might make PVC a problem as if you have even cut a piece of PVC pipe you can see first hand the static it generates. I bet there if a materials data sheet floating around the web somewhere that has the actual material, I just didn't serach that hard to find it..lol
    It's probably the same stuff we use at work, I'll find out what it is.

09-21-09 02:28 AM
    i just remembered you can make large static charges with a PVS pipe and some cloth. i do concur with ABS being the safe bet. the back cover of my 8900 has ">ABS<" stamped on the inside of it. i recall most plastic products do also, along with a manufactured date stamp.
    09-21-09 02:53 AM
    Thanks!!! Just making light; sort of!!!
    09-21-09 02:55 AM
    LOL...just took the battery cover off my Curve and wouldn't ya know it..the manufacture actually has the letters ABS molded into the piece. I also found a company that makes keypads and housing for the industry and they indicate the use of ABS, HIPS, and PP which are all Copolymers of Polystyrene. See what a little searching can do..lol.

Back to the original topic, someone had noted that it's hard for new forum/BB users to know what to search for. To me that's a cop out, because the basic of searching are keywords. In fact, if you just type in a question you are likely to find someone else has asked a very similar question or at the least the search will list thread that contain the keywords in your sentence. For example: My calender will not synch with Outlook. That question will give you thread containing all those words and the odds are good your answer will be in the first thread or 2. The same goes for searching the web. As I just did by searching "what materials are cell phone housings made of." This gave me a business to business web site that listed a few manufactures and the materials they use to make these products.

I think the problem is less the ability to search and more the desire not to. Some people think, why search when I can just ask and have someone else do the work.
    09-21-09 02:55 AM
    i just remembered you can make large static charges with a PVS pipe and some cloth. i do concur with ABS being the safe bet. the back cover of my 8900 has ">ABS<" stamped on the inside of it. i recall most plastic products do also, along with a manufactured date stamp.
    Reminds me of the ESD test tool the engineer at work made. 4 feet of PVC pile, a screw in the end and a wooly sock taped around the pipe. Rub the sock a few times over the pipe and zap away!

09-21-09 02:57 AM
    I think the problem is less the ability to search and more the desire not to. Some people think, why search when I can just ask and have someone else do the work.
    i think you just summed it all up right there.
    09-21-09 03:02 AM
    Yes some people might be lazy to search and some might not know how to as well. Since most here don't personally know each other in person its EZ to assume that they know as much as you.So when I see a lot of repeating topics I usally skip over them unless I feel I can help with a comment and decide to look at and see what was said.Then either add something ,just add nothing,or something .When I see flamers just ripp into people over and over never adding anything it makes them look like they have issues. LOL

09-21-09 04:23 AM
    I am a long time member of another phone forum & believe me, it's the same thing there as here in regards to the same questions being asked over & over again.
    The MODS or the other members would stop any flaming or "bad behavior" immediately with reminders that such things were not tolerated.
    But, w/ that being said, this place is HUGE & things take on a life of it's own & not everything or everyone can be monitored.
    But I got to the point, also, where ppl asking the same questions over & over again was irating me. I "got a grip" & decided that being irritated by people on a forum was nuts!
    I took & take "breaks" I won't sign in, I won't lurk, I will do other things for a few days till I feel I can "handle it" again.
    Maybe if things are upsetting you then "take a break". If you can't answer the question kindly, log out & cool off. If you can't handle the same question being asked AGAIN, don't answer it. Someone will come along with an answer & you can go looking for something more fun or interesting.
    But logging in & getting/ being irritated isn't by any definition fun.

09-21-09 04:31 AM
    we should include the sale of Haldol in the crackberry store.
    09-21-09 04:50 AM
    Agreed don't use the word ******** geez. And anyway I resorted to answering the question or linking to a similar thread where its already been covered vs yelling at them and telling them to search http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/cra...lution-118095/

09-21-09 05:28 AM
    Here's a reality check for some of our 'important' members. Find someone who doesn't own a blackberry or a smartphone (that would be the majority of people walking the earth). Explain to them how n00bs make you upset, and why.

Watch their face carefully. The incredulous expression you see is that person thinking "Its a bunch of people on the internet talking about their phones. You actually get upset about something so trivial? You're nuts"

I dare you to try it.

09-21-09 05:31 AM
    I agree with dictoresno that people need to search.

I disagree with LazyStarGazer that you need correct terminology to search. Come on, there's stickies everywhere if someone takes the time to look at them. This is my first blackberry and I had no problem searching for what I needed to find out.

I just takes a little common sense and patience.

If people get offended because I tell someone to use the search feature instead of posting something that's been posted 896 times before......good

They'll remember next time to search before posting intellectually challenged questions.

No matter what teachers told us in school, yes, there is such thing as a stupid question. Example 'facebook not working'

If you don't have enough grey matter in your skull to need an excuse why you can't search right, why do you have a smartphone?

09-21-09 05:41 AM
    I also agree to that. No one said you had to search using very technical terms. I've seen 4000 posts in the last week in ever forum but the 3rd party forum concerning facebook not working. If people just searched for "facebook not working" they would have seen the numerous threads regarding it. Then again, If these space cadets had posted about it in the 3rd party apps forum like they shouldve, all the people looking in the right places would have found it. You can't always find what u want because some einsteins here post threads in totally irrelevant forums, hindering peoples searches.

09-21-09 06:37 AM
    Google will point you in the right direction if you have an idea what you are searching for. Even these forums allow you to search with some reliability.

If you don't have an idea what something is called, then hey, by all means ask. But don't sit there and say the information is not readily available because the very top section of the forums is comprised of three sections. One is basically a help section where you can find everything but the kitchen sink listed. I have helped with answers, but I don't ever recall in the whole time I've been here asking a question that has been asked repeatedly because I was too lazy to look for the answer.

To mainly reiterate what Dictoresno just said above and spell it out a bit more...

Another reason it is better to search is so you don't end up with 500 results on your answer because 499 others posted a thread with the SAME EXACT PROBLEM OR QUESTION AS THE OTHERS and were too lazy to look for it. If most tried to do this, there would be a lot fewer search results with a much more accurate search.
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 09-21-09 at 06:56 AM.
    09-21-09 06:54 AM
    i will admit though, even i get mad at our search function sometimes and find its results to be messy. its a little sensitive, and often returns alot of redundant threads that just have your key searched word in, not the actual thing you may be looking for. however, this is where google comes into play. you will get returns from the blackberry forums, crackberry, hofo and other forums, that might be more specific.

also new users, you can be more specific in your search criteria by cutting out sections of the forum you dont wanna look in.

example: if im going to search for a theme for the 8900, i will specify the search to look in the 8900 forum or the themes forum only. it will leave out all other redundant thread and post regarding themes for all other models. less crap to look through = faster and more precise results.
    09-21-09 07:06 AM
    I am very sorry to see so many on Crackberry Forum participants resorting to being vicious and demeaning to others who post problems/issues. Don't they remember that learning a Blackberry is not automatic?? There is a major learning curve for Blackberries; it's not just another cell phone. This is what makes them so special. If you "know it all", then give the next person a break. Who died and made you ...

I hope moderators will slow the slide to becoming yet another "Twitter".
    THIS DEF GETS MY COSIGN!!!!!!!
    09-21-09 07:50 AM
104 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD