Remember when on older BlackBerrys websites could push links to your inbox when new content was available? Well what happened to it? Anybody any idea?
    03-09-13 11:14 AM
    The universal distaste for spam happened to it.

RSS became the more accepted standard for websites to "push" out new content.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-09-13 11:22 AM
    The universal distaste for spam happened to it.

RSS became the more accepted standard for websites to "push" out new content.
    That was never a problem, I used to get weather updates a while ago but I never turned it off and never got spam later.
    03-09-13 11:25 AM
    What I meant was that the email you get from the website itself is like spam. It's not technically spam because you subscribed to it but many users prefer not to clutter their inbox with junk. I made the mistake of giving my real email so that I could use the free wifi on the Heathrow airport trains, and years later I'm still getting useless updates.

That's the other thing people don't like to do. People don't like to give their email address, which is why RSS is still popular and browser push is defunct.
    RWB3325 likes this.
    03-09-13 11:32 AM
    What I meant was that the email you get from the website itself is like spam. It's not technically spam because you subscribed to it but many users prefer not to clutter their inbox with junk. I made the mistake of giving my real email so that I could use the free wifi on the Heathrow airport trains, and years later I'm still getting useless updates.

That's the other thing people don't like to do. People don't like to give their email address, which is why RSS is still popular and browser push is defunct.
    We're talking about different things, there was no email address involved, it just pushed the link to my inbox and the icon showed like a globe, as far as I can remember. It didn't work trough email.
    03-09-13 11:34 AM
    I also remember if you tried to access a Web page and your signal cut out you had the option to have the page delivered to your inbox as soon as you got signal again. This also used the browser push.
    03-09-13 11:36 AM
    Oooh. That's what that option was for...
    03-09-13 02:12 PM