I recently started using the Meterberry application by Giant Cashew Software to monitor available application memory on my BlackBerry Storm (9530), which seems to be extremely constrained on my device, and see that among other statistics, Meterberry can monitor battery temperature.

I've searched all over Crackberry.com, Blackberry.com, and the rest of the Internet, and I can't seem to find any good, useful information about battery temperatures, so I thought I'd come here to the CrackBerry Forums to hopefully find some expert BlackBerry help on this subject.

What temperature range is general considered "normal" battery temperature? This would be the temperature range that when the battery temperature falls in this range, the battery is operating within designed tolerance.

What battery temperature starts the "danger zone?" This would be the temperature that when the battery gets to this level or goes higher, there's a risk of potential damage to the battery or even to the BlackBerry device itself!

Finally, what type of usage of my BlackBerry device affects battery temperature? What should I do if I find my battery temperature going into the lower end of the "danger zone?"

Thanks in advance for any expert help provided.
    11-15-09 08:34 PM
    I've been waiting to see if anyone else could answer here but since we havnt heard....
    My husband and I can't seem to find a whole lot either so since he's an electrical engineer, he knew of some sites that could help us a little bit and so here is what he found:

"There is a decent tutorial on wikipedia, although it doesn't specify operational temperature limits (Lithium-ion polymer battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). These limits are most likely different for each manufacturer and model. Measurement of the battery case is usually not a reliable indicator of internal battery temperature. Since the internal temperature will always be higher when the battery is in use and cases will have different insulating values.

After opening my Bold 9000 I checked the battery and found it is UL Recognized, with the "E" number printed on the battery, E236872. A search of the UL certifications database shows this battery is from Sony Taiwan LTD; Taipei, Taiwan (UL certs page: NWGQ8.E236872 - Information Technology Equipment Including Electrical Business Equipment Certified for Canada - Component). But still no help on temperatures.

As it turns out, Radio Control (R/C) people are also using Li-Poly batteries and I found several discussions on this topic. One author says if the surface temperature of the battery reaches 203F, you risk thermal runaway. Thermal runaway is the point where you may risk fire and explosion. Other sources recommend not exceeding 145F while charging (or discharging) as this can cause permanent damage or loss of efficiency in the battery. Although 145F is probably well below the danger point of thermal runaway.

If you are considering the purchase of a charging station, it is advisable you make sure it does not exceed the ratings of the battery. So called "rapid chargers" are a bad idea. You should only charge Li-Poly batteries with a charger designed for lithium and if it uses industry standard cc/cv charging methods. If a charger manufacturer is unwilling or unable to provide this information, avoid purchasing. Over charging will damage or shorten the life lithium batteries, so the charger should have a cut-off feature instead of reverting to a trickle charge; as is often seen on Ni-Cad or NiMH chargers. Caution, lithium-based (Li-Ion, Li-Poly) batteries and nickel-based (Ni-Cad, NiMH) batteries do not use the same chargers! Their chemistry and charge profiles simply are not compatible."

Hope this is of some help. I have a battery temp. app too but I don't trust it. I used an external digital thermometer and compaired and there was a difference of 10-20 degrees.
    Last edited by diffused; 11-17-09 at 10:10 PM.
    11-17-09 08:45 PM
    Awesome information, diffused! Thanks for responding! So far, it sounds like your husband is the resident expert in the absence of any other advice.

I find it amazing that there's such a tremendous lack of knowledge and information on this specific topic! I thought the Internet had detailed information on everything!

Anyway, thanks for the best information so far. I'm going to remain hopeful that some other battery experts out there will post some more useful information to this thread.

I'd particularly love to hear about RIM's position on the matter. I may write a letter to the RIM engineering department to see if they would respond that way.

If I hear or learn anything through any other channels, I'll be sure to post a followup on this CrackBerry Forum thread.
    11-18-09 08:34 AM
    Thanks for your research too. Forgot to suggest that if your phone gets hot to handle, a battery pull is in order. My Tour heats pretty good at times in the right conditions but like a few other Tour owners, it's not the battery necessarily but the processors near the latch in the back that get hot!

Husband responds:
    "Hah! That's one way to become and expert, no other expert steps up to the plate so even I can apper like one. "
    Last edited by diffused; 11-18-09 at 09:35 AM.
    11-18-09 09:27 AM
    I just ran across a little tidbit of info for at least one particular Tour battery. Operational temperature up to 122degrees. Here is the website where I found it. Case-Mate BlackBerry Tour 9630 Fuel - Rechargeable Battery Pack (Case-Mate CM010043), BlackBerry Tour 9630 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

I'm not trying to advertise here just info about battery temps.
    11-28-09 09:43 AM
    informative read.
    +1 diffused
    11-28-09 10:10 AM

CBC News - British Columbia - Trail battery-recycling fire leaves questions

The company that operates a lithium battery recycling facility near Trail, B.C., that was engulfed in a spectacular blaze over the weekend says it's still trying to figure out what toxic chemicals were released in the fire.

When the fire broke out on Saturday it was so volatile fire crews couldn't use water to put it out. Neighbours described hearing blasts like fireworks and seeing projectiles shooting from the bunker full of volatile lithium batteries.

No one was injured, though nearby residents were told to stay indoors as a plume of poisonous sulphur dioxide gas lifted off the burning mass of lithium batteries.

I gather these got a little too hot.

11-28-09 12:49 PM
    I have felt my BlackBerry battery very hot sometimes but I never had really bad problems with it. At least I'm hoping i don't get any..
    11-28-09 01:02 PM
    I gather these got a little too hot.
    Wow I'd say so ! Pretty intense fire !
    Last edited by DavidNC; 11-28-09 at 03:14 PM.
    11-28-09 01:12 PM
    Here is yet another site we found today. All about batteries.
    Welcome to Battery University
    12-10-09 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD