A while ago when they showed the prototype basically everyone said it was ugly and hope it never sees the light of day. Now all of a sudden there's more demand for it than the classic. Why the change of tone?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 07:31 PM
    Never said that, I loved it from the get go, what I thought was a regular keyboard turns out to be a very innovative device. I wanted and still want an all touch high end but this Passport has me intrigued.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 07:38 PM
    I think many people were thrown by the, um, distinctive profile when the first pictures leaked out.

Since then we've learned that the Passport will have a respectable hardware spec and an innovative touch-sensitive keyboard. Given that, maybe it's worth a look.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    anon5288998 likes this.
    08-15-14 07:46 PM
    Stockholm syndrome.

just kidding.
    08-15-14 07:46 PM
    The Passport is probably the ugliest phone ever produced with those level of specs. I said it before and I stand by it. The unorthadox look will kill any chance it has for mainstream success. Just because its built for enterprise doesnt mean it has to look like crap.

The biggest flaw imo is the square screen and sharp edges. Maybe there is some advantage to the square screen, I'm not sure. But the sharp edges are completely unnecessary. Someone did a mock up of the passport with the same dimensions, just with rounded corners and it looked so slick. God BlackBerry can't you ever get it right

Posted via CB10
    lift, AlaJack and r0k like this.
    08-15-14 09:05 PM
    Damn ugly to me but still want to try it

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    08-15-14 09:20 PM
    The Classic will probably be sporting old, old specs. I'd prefer Passport specs in the Classic form factor.

But that may be why the lack of buzz. Also, no Classic leaks really.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 09:31 PM
    I didn't like it until it was called the Passport - and then the unusual form factor made perfect sense. I can't see a better way to stand out with a mobile device. This thing will turn heads.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 09:36 PM
    The Passport is probably the ugliest phone ever produced with those level of specs. I said it before and I stand by it. The unorthadox look will kill any chance it has for mainstream success. Just because its built for enterprise doesnt mean it has to look like crap.

The biggest flaw imo is the square screen and sharp edges. Maybe there is some advantage to the square screen, I'm not sure. But the sharp edges are completely unnecessary. Someone did a mock up of the passport with the same dimensions, just with rounded corners and it looked so slick. God BlackBerry can't you ever get it right

Posted via CB10
    Nah, ugly is an iPhone. Just spent a week with relative and their iPhones. What an out of date design, looked liked something from the eighties. What's the deal with the home button? Get rid of it. The Passport on the other hand is big, Bold and beautiful. Nothing says I'm the boss like a passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 09:53 PM
    A while ago when they showed the prototype basically everyone said it was ugly and hope it never sees the light of day. Now all of a sudden there's more demand for it than the classic. Why the change of tone?

Posted via CB10
    It happens every time. It's nothing to be surprised about. All prototype phones get the "ugly" comment. Then after a few months people start saying the look is growing onto them. Then, the release date approaches and they're dying for it. It happened with the pearl and more than anything the hideous blackberry style.

I think they've made a mistake with the passport though. I think the spacebar is way too small, and lack of alt and shift buttons definitely draws me away from it.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-15-14 09:55 PM
    Nah, ugly is an iPhone. Just spent a week with relative and their iPhones. What an out of date design, looked liked something from the eighties. What's the deal with the home button? Get rid of it. The Passport on the other hand is big, Bold and beautiful. Nothing says I'm the boss like a passport.

Posted via CB10
    I love iphone haters. The iphone has looked the same since release. Except now, the screen is slightly bigger. Finally someone that agrees with me.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-15-14 09:57 PM
    People hate change, too bad for them, they will miss out on a great phone. Let the haters hate.
    08-15-14 11:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pointy corners look better (eg Nokia, Sony) and help to differentiate it from the old, silly phones (in the world's opinion) that BlackBerry used to make.
    08-16-14 02:55 AM
    Have to admit, whatever it is its got me as well. When I first saw the passport I was gutted, looked horrible, I wouldn't buy it. But actually I have warmed to it and am tempted by it. Reasons are:

I'm a BlackBerry addict so I will want it regardless.
    The touch responsive keyboard is interesting.
    Its something different.

That's honestly the only reasons I have for wanting one.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-16-14 03:16 AM
    Something new is always going to startle people. It's why they had this slow, drawn out leaked release, so that people can get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 05:16 AM
    Got a lobbyist friend ready to buy it. Has a real need to look at docs in pdf or word without twisting the phone around and pinching n zooming all the time. Has an iPhone and saw her cussing it yesterday while trying to type.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 05:26 AM
    The same happened with every single BB10 device to date. The Z10 was considered as ugly when the first blurry leaks appeared. Same for the Q10, which was even worse than the Z10. Last but not least it also happened to the Q5 and Z30.

My very personal opinion: I really, really disliked the Passport when the very first photos got leaked. Why? A completely crippled keyboard, an odd form factor and last but not least a low quality looking phone.
    Now, many months later we learnt a lot about the philosophy behind the 3-row keyboard, we got more detailed shots and hands-on reports stating the device features a high quality build, plus it surely does look better on the latest photos. In addition I slowly think the odd form factor might work for me, even though I might still opt for the classic in the end.

Let's face it: The Passport is the weirdest BB device to date. Everybody needs to get used to the almost square dimensions. Keyboard fans need to get the idea with a hybrid (physical/virtual) keyboard for text input. Fans of larger screened devices might dislike the 1:1 screen ratio. Nonetheless BlackBerry created one of the most unique phones in the whole smartphone business within the last couple of years. This might either be the biggest flop ever or a big surprise.
    fanisk and Made in flanders like this.
    08-16-14 07:16 AM
    Wait till the gorgeous 2nd gen touch sensitive pkb arrive. Then tell me again how the Passport look like.

BBQ10
    08-16-14 07:38 AM
    Most admit the passport has grown on them. While this is good, I can't help but wonder if the people outside crackberry will have the same reactions we did at first. When it's time to make the choice in where to spend your money you don't want that sense most of us had. That coupled with the BlackBerry brand image can't be a good thing.

For the crackberry community we see it differently and I am wanting to give it a try. But I would also drop the passport of BlackBerry released a larger touch screen device (larger than my z30) .

Posted via CB10
    Made in flanders likes this.
    08-16-14 11:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's like some songs, when you first heard them, you don't care for them. As you listen more , you started to get into them. People often change their mind. For me the form factor shock me in the beginning. As more images leaked, with video demos from different angle now it makes me desire for one.
    08-16-14 11:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Aren't we all a bit tired of "rounded corners" ?
    08-16-14 11:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Home button hate. Sigh. And all of Blackberry's buttons on it's keyboard devices are groundbreaking. Or the trackpad and return buttons on legacy devices.
    Not saying that iPhone is for everyone, but I've never understood this leap of logic.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    anon8656116 and tanzarian like this.
    08-16-14 11:48 AM
    Aren't we all a bit tired of "rounded corners" ?
    Not at all. Trying to get a large phone with sharp corners into or out of jeans pockets is going to be a nightmare.
    08-16-14 11:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    The home button looks and feels like a crank shaft to me...

Posted via CB10
    aaronsbb likes this.
    08-16-14 02:02 PM
    I'm tired of people thinking I use an android phone. When I had a Z10, people thought it was an HTC. Now I have the Z30, people think it's a Samsung.

So I'm looking forward to having a device with a striking, controversial design.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 03:25 PM
57 123