I left Blackberry about five years ago for Android and I really like the Android experience. I had Samsungs for three years and wasn't in love (and now they've quit having removable batteries and SD slots), I've had an LG for 14 months and love it. However, LG has a build quality problem, my G4 had to be replaced at 11 months due to a failing antenna and my daughter's G4 went up at 13 months I guess due to a motherboard. So if I don't get another LG phone next year, I'm thinking I want to look at Blackberry for Android.

Will Blackberry still be playing in Android in 2017? Are they likely to release another device; keep supporting the Priv; both? I am wondering what the BB landscape will look like next year, and because I haven't been following Crackberry I don't know what folks are saying - so gaze into your crystal balls! If I want an Android BB next year, will I be able to get one? Thanks!
    09-21-16 09:40 AM
    The future isn't promised, anything can happen! There's two new devices coming up next, one all touch (this year) and another keyboard device in 2017 I believe. As for the Priv, I believe it'll be updated and supported for the years to come.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 09:56 AM
    Pretty much every phone from here on out will be primarily android. Look round the forums. There's the Dtek50 - a low-mid range android that just came out. A future Dtek60 (Argon) that just leaked for upcoming release. It's a higher- end all-touch android. And the "Mercury" - a pkb phone set for release in early 2017. While it's supposed to be a keyboard phone, it won't be a slider like the Priv. It will have a full keyboard below a 4x3 screen.

That's the rumor rundown for now.

No sign of new BB10 phone anytime soon.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 09:58 AM
    Thanks for the rumor rundown! DTEK60 looks interesting; everyone is moving away from removable batteries, but BB was always great with battery life so maybe that doesn't matter. Looks like BB will be high on my radar next year.
    09-21-16 10:03 AM
    This feels more like a "General BlackBerry Discussion" to me. Hope you all don't mind that I moved it. Being that this forum is at the top it should actually give the thread move visibility.

My feeling is that as far as Android is concerned BlackBerry is as they say in poker "all in" Either they make it with Android devices or the headset division goes away, IMHO! (PK has a humble opinion! lol)
    Last edited by pkcable; 09-21-16 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo
    darkehawke likes this.
    09-21-16 10:28 AM
    I had the same issue with the motherboard on the G4
    It only affected models built before September 2015

The G5 has no issues as such
    09-22-16 04:53 AM
    This feels more like a "General BlackBerry Discussion" to me. Hope you all don't mind that I moved it.
    That's cool. And thanks to everyone for not just saying, "Go read the Rumored Devices thread, moron!"
    09-22-16 07:59 AM
    That's cool. And thanks to everyone for not just saying, "Go read the Rumored Devices thread, moron!"
    Nay I think you started an interesting discussion! Lets see where it goes! I really hope BB succeeds with the Android devices. I genuinely enjoyed my time with the Priv (which my Dad now enjoy's) and I look forward to trying the DTEK 60 and maybe the next keyboard Android. I'm a sucker for a pkb!
    09-22-16 08:12 AM
    Well, all speculation should mostly be put to rest this week. I think Chen's mention of shutting down the HW division is probably accurate, as is, using a 3rd party devise mfg moving forward with Andriod. But, it's also plausible that Chen doesn't want the latter and will simply focus on the SW business, which he's been very vocal about. I can see him minimizing risk by private labeled 3rd party devices like they've done with the DTEK50. I wonder how sales have been for this device? That might be telling.
    09-25-16 11:54 AM
    The future is Android if they can make it profitable. But, you won't be getting a BlackBerry phone with BlackBerry build quality. Those that have the DTEK 50 can better address build qualities, but they won't be the high level most BlackBerry users have expected in the past. That does not mean they are bad phones though.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-16 12:16 PM
    I left Blackberry about five years ago for Android and I really like the Android experience. I had Samsungs for three years and wasn't in love (and now they've quit having removable batteries and SD slots), I've had an LG for 14 months and love it. However, LG has a build quality problem, my G4 had to be replaced at 11 months due to a failing antenna and my daughter's G4 went up at 13 months I guess due to a motherboard. So if I don't get another LG phone next year, I'm thinking I want to look at Blackberry for Android.

Will Blackberry still be playing in Android in 2017? Are they likely to release another device; keep supporting the Priv; both? I am wondering what the BB landscape will look like next year, and because I haven't been following Crackberry I don't know what folks are saying - so gaze into your crystal balls! If I want an Android BB next year, will I be able to get one? Thanks!
    Last I checked the Galaxy S7, S7 Edge and Note 7 have MicroSD card slots, but yes, removable battery is gone.

I wouldn't recommend a BB Android at this point, they are still getting their feet wet in Android.

LG V20
    Galaxy Note 7 post recall
    OnePlus 3
    Huawei Mate 8
    Huawei P9 Plus

Are all brilliant phones.
    09-25-16 12:47 PM
    Last I checked the Galaxy S7, S7 Edge and Note 7 have MicroSD card slots, but yes, removable battery is gone.

I wouldn't recommend a BB Android at this point, they are still getting their feet wet in Android.

LG V20
    Galaxy Note 7 post recall
    OnePlus 3
    Huawei Mate 8
    Huawei P9 Plus

Are all brilliant phones.
    Getting their feet wet eh? Lol. Better wet feet than burnt hands!

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    pkcable likes this.
    09-25-16 02:37 PM
    Android, if anything.
    09-25-16 02:38 PM