Don't get me wrong; i absolutely love my S2, but after a few weeks of use i'm beginning to question the point of WiFi. in my experience, web browsing is no faster than 3G, it drains the battery much faster if you leave it on, and it won't even work in my office (asks me to put a password directly into the router, which i don't have access to). the only positive at this point seems to be faster download speeds. anyone else noticing this?

anyone else not using WiFi at all?
    11-19-09 11:21 PM
    Don't get me wrong; i absolutely love my S2, but after a few weeks of use i'm beginning to question the point of WiFi. in my experience, web browsing is no faster than 3G, it drains the battery much faster if you leave it on, and it won't even work in my office (asks me to put a password directly into the router, which i don't have access to). the only positive at this point seems to be faster download speeds. anyone else noticing this?

The example that I like to use is a hospital. Most hospitals have free WiFi for their guests to use, however they also tend to block most all cell signals unless you are by a window. So with your ability to use the WiFi that the hospital is providing you will continue to receive your emails, and be able to browse the web while you are in the waiting room for that 4 hours because there is only one doc on staff that night. This is one of many scenarios that you might find yourself in where you would be glad you have it or wish you had it on the phones that don't have it.
    11-19-09 11:26 PM
    Or if you are like me and have almost zero service at home it makes it so I can use my storm2 now. And if you want to surf the web on wifi and talk on the phone you can do that also.
    11-19-09 11:29 PM
    well i for one have no reason to use it whatsoever. i bought a used storm 1 a month before the s2 arrived and i was really happy with it. i upgraded because of the new screen and wifi. i also love my s2 but youtube doesnt work on my phone not even with wifi which is a deal breaker for me.i downloaded 2 applications for youtube and both dont work. im now questioning the point of buying a s2 since most of the apps I use dont work. its really frustrating.
    11-19-09 11:30 PM
    well i for one have no reason to use it whatsoever. i bought a used storm 1 a month before the s2 arrived and i was really happy with it. i upgraded because of the new screen and wifi. i also love my s2 but youtube doesnt work on my phone not even with wifi which is a deal breaker for me.i downloaded 2 applications for youtube and both dont work. im now questioning the point of buying a s2 since most of the apps I use dont work. its really frustrating.
    Go to m.youtube.com from your phone for you tube. You can even grab the HQ vids on the phone now. This is true for both phones.
    11-19-09 11:37 PM
    Go to m.youtube.com from your phone for you tube. You can even grab the HQ vids on the phone now. This is true for both phones.
    i cant. i only log on m.youtube.com and when i click on watch video it says "error trying to play media"
    i need a solution please
    11-19-09 11:42 PM
    wifi is WAY WAY faster than 3G on any carrier, it does not drain the battery faster and for CDMA users it will allow voice and data at the same time. For us TMO users it also allows UMA
    11-19-09 11:44 PM
    wifi is WAY WAY faster than 3G on any carrier, it does not drain the battery faster and for CDMA users it will allow voice and data at the same time. For us TMO users it also allows UMA
    i will tell you that wifi web browing is ABSOLUTELY NOT much faster than 3G browsing on my phone. if i had 2, i would do a side by side video, but since i don't you'll have to take my word for it. for example, it takes 48 seconds to load the crackberry home page on 3G, and 42 seconds on wifi. the home page is very data/picture itensive so any difference would be greatly magnified there. most other webpages typically load 1-2 seconds faster on WiFi than 3G, but that is not a significant improvement. also, it does drain the battery faster if you keep WiFi turned on when you get outside the range of your router because it is constantly seaching for a new connection. this too is based on personal experience.

the other benefits mentioned in this thread make me glad i have it, but speed/battery life are certainly not any better than just running on 3G.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 11-20-09 at 12:00 AM.
    11-19-09 11:58 PM
    Bummer for you, I keep bluetooth and wifi running all the time, battery life has never been an issue, even on my wifes 8900 and my 8900 I had before the 9700. When on wifi I smoke my buddy's storm in a major major way, I have no idea how your 3G beats wifi, its not possible, 3G does not run faster than DSL or Cable internet
    11-20-09 12:01 AM
    my Wifi does not seem to make a big difference over 3g. i'm glad to have it because of the simultaneous data and voice capability.
    11-20-09 12:21 AM
    Being able to talk and do data stuff on the phone, which I do often.

Data/Phone through my carrier is kinda funky in my apartment, so while my computer is playing a movie it still allows me to browse the forums and other sites at a usable speed.

While on campus in any building I can now listen to Pandora, were in some buildings I get a carrier signal and others I don't.

When they update, podcasts download much faster over wifi.

While at home over the holiday [and I get no carrier signal for miles, for 2 weeks!] I will still be able to get my emails, BBM, and whatever else I need for my news/internet fix. Now I no longer have to fight for the family computer while we are all in one spot.

If anything I like the option of having it there. Most of what I do over the phone Data based, so it's nice to know I can have that anywhere - carrier signal or not. If UMA on V ever becomes an option, the S2 will move even more into the "money well spent" category for me.
    11-20-09 12:40 AM
    I waited a long time for the Storm 2 to be released with WiFi to trade in my dull phone (opposite of smart phone) because we spend a lot of time in the summer in locations where there are absolutely zero cell towers within 50 or 60 miles. We use our boat between Seattle and Alaska. Unless you are on the cruise ship route, there are usually no towers. The good news is that almost all the marinas have WiFi via satellite links and there is normally a small fee or no fee for the usage. This way I can get internet service, Skype telephone, and other uses I would not have on the Storm 2 without WiFi. We also travel from Seattle to Alaska via the roads every couple of years. Cell service even in many populated areas is scarce and usually not compatible with your phone (although Verizon is better than others). Again the RV parks and motel/hotels along the way and in remote areas of Alaska have WiFi via satellite link and all the internet services are there. Now some of the above services are pretty primitive with weak antennas so sometimes you have to bring your laptop or now Storm 2 within a few feet of the rubber duckie antenna. Again having a very portable device with WiFi is quite useful. Others have sophisticated antennas which cover several hundred if not a thousand feet. As an aside, once in Alaska populated areas, such as Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula, there is excellent 3G network capability (not Verizon but free usage).
    Last edited by mickeyboat; 11-20-09 at 09:46 AM.
    11-20-09 09:44 AM
    New to BB. Just got the S2 and need to know how to use the WIFI feature. Can anyone help please.
    11-20-09 10:00 AM
    I have a network extended at my house for better signal coverage and I use the WiFi at my house because the 3G is non existent most of the time. The WiFi is pretty snappy for me.
    11-20-09 10:05 AM

Yeah I totally agree with you, there is no real need for WIFI, it's cute but useless.
    I had WIFI on my WinMo phone and rarely used it to surf the web it was too painful. The only piratical aspect of WIFI was when I used Skype, which used VOIP. But there is no solution here for BB users.

While WIFI is faster than a 3G network the real limit is the phone CPU, browser, and memory. So web surfing is not much better on a mobile device over a PC. All the web sites I visit on my phone are mobile friendly and the speed between WIFI/3G are pretty minimal.
    Since I only really have free WIFI at home, I'll chose a PC over the phone anyday.

=X=
    11-20-09 10:25 AM
    Yeah I totally agree with you, there is no real need for WIFI, it's cute but useless.
    I had WIFI on my WinMo phone and rarely used it to surf the web it was too painful. The only piratical aspect of WIFI was when I used Skype, which used VOIP. But there is no solution here for BB users.

While WIFI is faster than a 3G network the real limit is the phone CPU, browser, and memory. So web surfing is not much better on a mobile device over a PC. All the web sites I visit on my phone are mobile friendly and the speed between WIFI/3G are pretty minimal.
    Since I only really have free WIFI at home, I'll chose a PC over the phone anyday.

=X=
    I have a working copy of Skype on my Storm 2 and it works because I have used it. It is third party software I believe.
    11-20-09 10:58 AM
    how did u get skype?
    11-20-09 11:07 AM
    Is everyone who is NOT experiencing faster browser speeds over WiFi using the "Hotspot Browser"?

I do notice quite a difference when I'm using WiFi over when I'm not.
    11-20-09 11:10 AM
    I travel to Mexico and Canada a lot and the places I stay all have WiFi. With my S2 I can get all of my email and BBM without having to pay those expensive global fees and drag along a laptop
    11-20-09 12:00 PM
    Or if you have an iPod Touch already, just carry that for all your wifi/multimedia needs.

If you don't, I can see the benefit of having a wifi capable phone.
    11-20-09 12:05 PM
    Yeah I upgraded from the S1 and currently don't have a need for the wifi yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 12:20 PM
    how did u get skype?
    IM+ for Skype :: BlackBerry :: Products
    11-20-09 01:22 PM
    When I had T-Mo I used wifi for UMA calling because the service was really bad. Now I don't have a reason to use wifi, but its nice to have for those "just in case" situations.
    11-20-09 01:49 PM
    New to BB. Just got the S2 and need to know how to use the WIFI feature. Can anyone help please.

This may help:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    11-20-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD