Sure except blackberry devices triumph the most on the last quality. Security.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    Did you notice the post above?

*cough* Blackphone *cough*
    http://m.pocketnow.com/2014/03/03/secure-blackphone

Boeing
    http://www.boeing.com/boeing/defense...ack/index.page

Those are professional devices which fulfil only one purpose: Secure communications

Posted via CB10
    Also have you checked out the Sectera Edge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    06-26-14 10:57 AM
    Well, then, see....if we're going to define what makes a device professional because it does the most tasks for most, then that IS marketing. if instead we are going to say that the most professional device is one that performs each individuals's essential tasks, then that's making discrete decisions based on need.

So....if we go by what the majority of people use then that would be Android, if we are going to assume that most people don't carry multiple devices. but if we go by what most government agencies use, then it would be BlackBerry. But a BlackBerry isn't what certain, highly trained professionals use, such as those wee folks who work at NASA.

So...anyone can put artificial judgements and reasons on their perception of what is "professional." The reality, however, is far more nuanced. My friend could not care less about Docs to Go but she is very reliant on certain music related tasks. For her, in her PROFESSION, a device found most professional by secure government agencies is useless.

Again, "professional" is highly situational.

Posted via CB10
    This says it perfectly. Especially, the last line.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 09:18 AM
    Did you notice the post above?

Also have you checked out the Sectera Edge?

I said the most and yeah I have seen these before. I have advocated for BlackBerry to emphasize on its security features just as these alternatives have.
    Bottom line is all these devices have exploitable vulnerabilities nothing that is ota is secure.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-28-14 10:04 PM
    Well, the single device that seems to fulfil most work tasks for the most people should be the iPhone then...

Posted via CB10
    IPhone doesn't specifically carry out work tasks better for most work functions, it's just that most people have already chosen to use the phones for personal reasons. I switched from iPhone to bb10 because it's better at work tasks. Almost everyone in my workplace chooses bb10 devices as their work phones over iphones (both are available). As mentioned, I don't accept these blurred lines...work is work. At $100k per year, if a phone makes you 1% more productive, it has paid for itself.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 06-29-14 at 07:39 AM.
    06-29-14 07:07 AM
    IPhone doesn't carry out work tasks better for most people's work. I switched from iPhone to bb10 for that reason. Almost everyone in my workplace choses bb10 devices over iphones (both are available). People chose to use iphones for personal use reasons, almost never because of better efficiencies at carrying out work functions. I already said that I don't accept these blurred lines...

Posted via CB10
    People chose iPhone because it does both personal and work well. The majority of people no longer want a work-only phone. That is easily proven by sales numbers.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    06-29-14 07:27 AM
    People chose iPhone because it does both personal and work well. The majority of people no longer want a work-only phone. That is easily proven by sales numbers.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yeah true, but I already said that I personally don't accept those blurred lines. It also doesn't say anything about what makes something 'professional', other than marketing. Personally I don't like companies that allow personal staff preferences to trump productivity when it comes to work functions. And if I think a company is allowing staff preferences to trump overall security I avoid them like a disease. I recognize that most people don't think like me...at least yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 07:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    In any case, it's critical for BlackBerry to maintain its mind share in the particular industries it is targeting. People in those industries already know that an iPhone gets completely neutered if you want to try to use it at work...if you don't believe me go look at the DOD restrictions....

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 07:47 AM
    Yeah true, but I already said that I personally don't accept those blurred lines. It also doesn't say anything about what makes something 'professional', other than marketing. Personally I don't like companies that allow personal staff preferences to trump productivity when it comes to work functions. And if I think a company is allowing staff preferences to trump overall security I avoid them like a disease. I recognize that most people don't think like me...at least yet.

Posted via CB10
    And that is why Blackberry is now a niche and will most likely remain so. There is nothing wrong with that and it could work out well for them.

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    06-29-14 08:12 AM
    Yes agreed. Under Chen, the BlackBerry niche and brand is that 'professional trumps personal'. They will have to make sure they deliver on that promise in a way that is more powerful than the marketing by their competitors, but also deliver on a 'solid enough' personal side that avoids all the bells whistles and gimmicks.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 08:29 AM
    Yes agreed. Under Chen, the BlackBerry niche and brand is that 'professional trumps personal'. They will have to make sure they deliver on that promise in a way that is more powerful than the marketing by their competitors, but also deliver on a 'solid enough' personal side that avoids all the bells whistles and gimmicks.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. They have their work cut out for them but I believe it can be done. Chen's "focus" on enterprise proves that is what he is doing. That's why I laugh when I see people attacking Google and Apple consumer devices. Even Chen knows that's not where he's going so why bother? Focus on where you can carve a niche and produce!

Everything I say is my OPINION and is based on my experiences and what I have learned. It is not meant to attack but to drive meaningful conversation. Let's all be civil!
    06-29-14 08:42 AM
    In any case, it's critical for BlackBerry to maintain its mind share in the particular industries it is targeting. People in those industries already know that an iPhone gets completely neutered if you want to try to use it at work...if you don't believe me go look at the DOD restrictions....

Posted via CB10
    As much as a BlackBerry under BES gets "neutered" at the same agency for the same reason.

Read up on BES policies and the restrictions on browser, denial of access to apps, restriction on camera use, etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 10:52 AM
    BlackBerry has full operational capability status.

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...pability-.html

The last I checked here is the list of iPhone restrictions.

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/05/2...vernment-work/

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 01:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then why don't they own enterprise? That's even more of a slap in the face to BlackBerry.

06-29-14 01:53 PM
    Then why don't they own enterprise? That's even more of a slap in the face to BlackBerry.

Cuz Heins left it to rot while he lived out some fantasy of competing with Apple and Google at the consumer level.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 08:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    The first link deals with an MDM ATO and FOC. The second link deals with configuration of devices. Two different sets of functions.

BlackBerry devices are as locked down as as iPhones and Android devices in secure agencies. BlackBerry devices can and have been locked down for no browser except intranet, apps, cameras, SMS, etc. I know. My team MANAGED our BES fleet.

06-29-14 09:32 PM
    Cuz Heins left it to rot while he lived out some fantasy of competing with Apple and Google at the consumer level.

Posted via CB10
    I agree and what's done is done. You can't go back.

06-30-14 05:11 AM
    The first link deals with bb10 devices on BES10. My understanding is that the bb10 device on BES10 is authorized to enable all functions that are allowed by a given security clearance, but the iPhone isn't.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 06:20 AM
    Please review what you posted.
    The ATO information is below. It is linked within the article. The ATO was granted for BES10. The FOC was granted subsequently.

BB devices received FIPS certification upon release. The ATO for DOD was in June 2013 if memory serves.

This is independent of the fact that ALL devices regardless of platform can be and are locked down as needed depending on the security level needed. Yes this includes Balance where even the personal sidebcan be restricted based on agency need.

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...ent-of-de.html

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    06-30-14 06:40 AM
    My opinion of what makes a device professional is a simple one; who's using it and for what. Regardless of the aesthetics of the device or who's platform it's running, it's still a breed of mobile computer and as such is functional for scads upon scads of professional purposes. The security of the platform or individual device, well that's between the user and employer.
    TgeekB and RH1Pearl like this.
    07-01-14 03:39 AM
    Please review what you posted.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

Please READ what I posted. I understand that all devices can be locked down by security restrictions, but my understanding is that the iPhone restrictions are device configuration policies (across the board) whereas a bb10 phone on BES has full operational authority WHERE SECURITY ALLOWS. Please indicate exactly where my facts are incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:42 AM
    And what kind of device is best for a professional use during their personal time? Or, do they never use consumer apps on their professional smartphone?

If a smartphone is popular with consumers then does it automatically not work as a professional device?

Can this professional device ever work as a consumer device? Can a consumer device ever work as a professional device?
    According to some, no.

Unless it has a BB logo on it, and then the answer is yes but only because of the logo.
    07-04-14 08:50 AM

Please READ what I posted. I understand that all devices can be locked down by security restrictions, but my understanding is that the iPhone restrictions are device configuration policies (across the board) whereas a bb10 phone on BES has full operational authority WHERE SECURITY ALLOWS. Please indicate exactly where my facts are incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    Let's discuss the definition of Full Operational Capability and Authority to Operate.
    Full Operational Capability is a program management term that describes the last stage of deployment for any system/program. It simply means that a system has reached full maturity at deployment, all milestones have been reached, and a system can be delivered to the using activity. Therefore it is granted to a system at deployment. As such, it has nothing to do with restrictions on devices but would have been applicable to a system that manages devices, such as Good, Iron Mountain, or BES.
    FOC - Full Operational Capability (US DoD acquisition term to depict when a specific activity reaches maturity)
    Authority to Operate (ATO) is granted to a system to show that it meets criteria for operation within a network. It is granted for a finite period of time. Since it is given to a system, it also has nothing to do with restrictions on devices but would have also been granted to a system that manages devices. As such, it would have been granted to MDM solutions such as Good, Iron Mountain or BES. You can look up any number of Authority to Operate documentation on the web. There are many powerpoint presentations authored by DOD.

Those two are different from FIPS certification which is granted to a device within a platform for operation within a system. As such, BB10 devices were granted FIPS certification at launch to operate within BES as the MDM. Similarly, Apple devices and Samsung devices would each have received their specific FIPS certification to operate within Good, Iron Mountain, BES, etc. The reason many agencies were late in adopting BES10 is that the ATO for BES10 came months after FIPS certification for BB10 devices. Some agencies ran compartmentalised instances of BB10 prior to BES10 receiving its ATO since Interim ATOs can be granted under specific circumstances at the discretion of each CIO. And I'm not remembering current status on BES12 and since I'm not at my agency I can't find that this morning.

Now, restrictions on devices whether Android devices, iOS devices, or Blackberry devices are granted per need per using agency, corporation, institution, etc. Such restrictions are not across the board but are set specific for the user for any device.

There is no blanket setting for all BlackBerry devices because it is not appropriate for all levels of security. Similarly, there is no blanket setting for all iPhones nor for all Android devices because, in the same manner, it is not appropriate for all levels of security. Not all agencies, corporations, user bases have the same needs for security therefore it is cumbersome to give a BlackBerry BES user who hasn't got or doesn't want the same level of security as that needed at the Pentagon, for example.

Your understanding is incorrect. I am giving you 1) definitions where applicable and 2) explanations where applicable.

There are no device configuration policies across the board for iPhones. There are no device configuration policies across the board for BlackBerries. Simply because the needs of the Bureau of Land Management that runs National Parks is not the same as the needs of the Department of Energy that runs the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 07-04-14 at 10:47 AM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-04-14 10:16 AM
    So then explain the difference in the STIG guidelines between iPhone and bb10 devices please.

Also please explain why FOC was granted to BlackBerry 10 DEVICES on BES (and no other specific devices on any other MDM).

Thanks ahead. I appreciate all your work trying to sort this out.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 07-04-14 at 04:16 PM.
    07-04-14 03:25 PM
    So then explain the difference in the STIG guidelines between iPhone and bb10 devices please.

Also please explain why FOC was granted to BlackBerry 10 DEVICES on BES (and no other specific devices on any other MDM).

Thanks ahead. I appreciate all your work trying to sort this out.

Posted via CB10
    That is extremely intensive research you'd like me to do off the clock!!!!. I haven't got that level of specificity. I'm not a PMP at DoD.

Actually there are varied STIGs. I can get you on a research path if you'd like to conduct your own research.

http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/ncp/repository

http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/ncp/rep...tDetail?id=252

http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/ncp/rep...tDetail?id=439

On the FOC please remember that is merely a program management designation that refers to a project/system's final determination at maturity. Other projects/systems such as MDMs also have their FOC as deployment reaches final milestone. BlackBerry announced that its system, BES10, had achieved the milestone of full implementation, or Full Operational Capability at DoD because it now fully implemented at DoD. So that means that BES10 is in full deployment status and managing devices as planned in the manner planned.

Consider FOC as a determination that a program/system is done-done.

I think you're understanding that FOC means that a device can be used to its full capabilities with high level approvals at the platform level. In actuality, FOC is a program management milestone and not a security level designation.

Edit: I found this for you.

http://acqnotes.com/Acquisitions/Ful...2520(FOC).html

Last edited by qbnkelt; 07-04-14 at 05:07 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-04-14 04:54 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 12:52 AM
100 ... 234