I've never been told what exactly BIS-B is. Now, I know what BIS is, but why the "B"? Can someone let me know?

Tried to search, couldn't find anything on here, or on a quick Google search... just so everyone knows...
    01-15-10 08:29 AM
    I've been wondering that too
    01-15-10 08:59 AM
    according to the following site

"applications that support BIS-B (apps that dont need the carrier APN to work, since for some providers their charge extra for that) or that have service books that are supported by the RIM servers"

BIS-B supported application lists - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

btw, that was the first search result when i searched for "bis-b" in google.

i also found this....first result when "bis-b blackberry" was searched.....

Connecting your BlackBerry - http and socket conne... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

also found this via google.....

"There are a number of differences between BIS-B and TCP.

BIS-B uses something called IPPP (Internet Protocol Proxy Protocol), which is RIM's proprietary wireless protocol that transports data traffic to RIM's servers (in Canada), which acts as proxies to the internet.

TCP, in this case, uses WAP to TCP, where your carrier's gateway (wap.voicestream.com or wap.cingular or whatever your carrier is) translate the WAP data traffic into TCP.

In both cases a gateway makes the actual TCP/IP connections, so the real difference is in how the data gets to the gateway.

From our experience, BIS-B is more power efficient than TCP (not sure how they do this, but it's one of the reasons RIM makes the big bucks, they started out making wireless modems). So battery savings is a big plus. Also, as you mentioned before, some carriers charge extra for TCP, so having BIS-B is a benefit there as well."

vB Easy Archive - BIS vs TCP
    Last edited by dictoresno; 01-15-10 at 09:09 AM.
    01-15-10 09:02 AM

"applications that support BIS-B (apps that dont need the carrier APN to work, since for some providers their charge extra for that) or that have service books that are supported by the RIM servers"

BIS-B supported application lists - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Connecting your BlackBerry - http and socket conne... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Does that mean those apps work on WiFi?
    01-15-10 09:08 AM
    Does that mean those apps work on WiFi?
    i guess so. my BerryWeather connects via BIS-B. i was just able to turn my mobile network off and update it via wifi only. therefore, i assume it isnt reliant on the carriers TCP connection, only on RIM's BIS-B connection via wifi to grab data. i could be wrong though.
    01-15-10 09:12 AM
    Thanks man
    01-15-10 09:22 AM

also found this via google.....

"There are a number of differences between BIS-B and TCP.

BIS-B uses something called IPPP (Internet Protocol Proxy Protocol), which is RIM's proprietary wireless protocol that transports data traffic to RIM's servers (in Canada), which acts as proxies to the internet.

TCP, in this case, uses WAP to TCP, where your carrier's gateway (wap.voicestream.com or wap.cingular or whatever your carrier is) translate the WAP data traffic into TCP.

In both cases a gateway makes the actual TCP/IP connections, so the real difference is in how the data gets to the gateway.

From our experience, BIS-B is more power efficient than TCP (not sure how they do this, but it's one of the reasons RIM makes the big bucks, they started out making wireless modems). So battery savings is a big plus. Also, as you mentioned before, some carriers charge extra for TCP, so having BIS-B is a benefit there as well."

vB Easy Archive - BIS vs TCP
    Very nice, thank you, I did read the first article you have listed there when I initially Googled it, but I didn't even think to search "BIS-B BlackBerry". Good call, thanks again!
    01-15-10 09:25 AM
    this is what im here for. i can pretty much find anything on the net lol.
    01-15-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD