As topic really.

I know that WiFi will eat quite a bit. But what about 3G? There is an option to disable 3G and run the phone in "2G only" mode.

I don't really web surf on it all that often and GPRS is just fine for e-mails...
    Last edited by NathanE; 05-11-09 at 02:57 PM.
    05-11-09 02:54 PM
    I leave wifi on all the time without issue. If you are in a weak 3G area, disabling 3G can have a significant effect on your battery life.
    05-11-09 02:55 PM
    wifi eats less than 3g actually.
    05-11-09 02:57 PM
    OK cool. I've switched it onto "2G only" mode now. Will see how things go like this.

It's neat how the BB reroutes BIS traffic thru the WiFi when it's available. Bet the mobile carriers like that little trick for saving their bandwidth.

I'm really loving this phone. I've never had a phone where the GUI is this fast and actually feels like it wasn't strung together in a shed in China in the space of a week.
    05-11-09 03:03 PM
    Congrats on the phone, enjoy.
    05-11-09 03:05 PM
    As a matter of fact I use Wi-Fi whenever possible. 3G can never beat Wi-Fi. Unless the Wi-Fi's internet connection is terrible.
    05-11-09 03:23 PM
    I had the bold for 6 months now, have left 3g, bluetooth and wifi on every day and whilst at work signal is very poor which means it's always switching from 3g to 2g. I have never not managed the whole day unless I have been using sat nav or music player for long periods.

I'm sure it makes a diffrence turning it all off but to me so long as it always lastss the day with my heavy and pretty constant usage then I'm more than happy.

Trying out a new 8900 tomorrow just for the uma feature, will be intresting to see how that performs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 03:34 PM
    Leaving wifi on (when not using wifi) shouldn't matter much since it's not trying to connect to every hotspot in existence.
    05-11-09 03:54 PM
    I get full bars almost everywhere in town where i live on 3G and it definately drains the bat fast. In all honesty there is not much of a difference between Edge and 3G, for emails, RSS and simple web browsing. The only time i would switch to 3G is when i'm streaming radio, watching videos or downloading new apps etc. In my experieince without 3G on, my bat lasts at least 25-30% longer.
    05-11-09 05:56 PM
    I get full bars almost everywhere in town where i live on 3G and it definately drains the bat fast. In all honesty there is not much of a difference between Edge and 3G, for emails, RSS and simple web browsing. The only time i would switch to 3G is when i'm streaming radio, watching videos or downloading new apps etc. In my experieince without 3G on, my bat lasts at least 25-30% longer.
    How do you switch 3G off?
    05-12-09 11:21 AM
    There is one key difference in using EDGE. While using data, all calls will go to voicemail. While using 3G, you get simultaneous voice/data.
    05-12-09 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD