I think its a shame that WLM is being retired because RIM made us an app for it but its being retired in March 2013 (with the exception of China) to be replaced with Skype and what makes it worse is BlackBerries running OS 5, 6 and 7 can't get Skype because there's no support for it.

What do you think CB Nation? Should Microsoft make a Skype app for BlackBerries?
    Give your thoughts in the comments.
    11-16-12 10:27 AM
    This has been discussed so many times now. Yes, they Should, but We don't know if they will. We will find out January 30th.
    11-16-12 11:02 AM
    There are BB5/6/7 apps (like IM+) that have Skype chat. Those should still work as a replacement for WLM. No voice or video, but that's nothing new.
    11-16-12 06:33 PM
    IMO messenger for BlackBerry supports 12 protocols including Skype Although yahoo doesnt work at all while logging in
    11-17-12 06:56 AM
    I don't know if any of you young hands remember but there used to be an app called iSkoot that let you make skype calls and skype chat on a BB. It would dial a local number first and then the rest of the call would be VOIP, much better quality then full VOIP.

Sadly Skype cut them off a while ago.
    11-17-12 07:35 AM
    And it's doubtful RIM will ever get Skype.
    11-17-12 08:01 AM
    I don't know if any of you young hands remember but there used to be an app called iSkoot that let you make skype calls and skype chat on a BB. It would dial a local number first and then the rest of the call would be VOIP, much better quality then full VOIP.

Sadly Skype cut them off a while ago.
    Ha... I remember iSkoot! Great app. Sad to hear Skype froze em out..
    11-17-12 08:27 AM
    Ha... I remember iSkoot! Great app. Sad to hear Skype froze em out..
    i know

Feeding my CrackBerry Craving with the CrackBerry Forums App
    11-17-12 12:21 PM
    Skype on BB10 would be nice. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft develops it, or allows a third party developer to build it. Dieter Bohn wrote a great article on the class of the ecosystems that talks about this as well. A good read.

First strike: how tech's superpowers could start an ecosystem war | The Verge
    11-20-12 10:41 PM
    Skype on BB10 would be nice. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft develops it, or allows a third party developer to build it. Dieter Bohn wrote a great article on the class of the ecosystems that talks about this as well. A good read.

First strike: how tech's superpowers could start an ecosystem war | The Verge
    I know but maybe RIM might create a native app for skype like they did for Facebook, WLM and Twitter.

11-22-12 12:01 PM
    I am not sure what your all talking about because I dont use SKYPE but I have Skype Mobile on my 9930. VZW is not the same? Nevertried it but if you click on it it prompts for a user name etc
    11-22-12 12:26 PM
    I am not sure what your all talking about because I dont use SKYPE but I have Skype Mobile on my 9930. VZW is not the same? Nevertried it but if you click on it it prompts for a user name etc
    Verizon Skype is a special version of Skype made exclusively for Verizon. It doesn't work on any other carrier's phones. The whole thing pisses me off enormously, everybody else is left out in the cold.
    11-22-12 12:47 PM
    I know but maybe RIM might create a native app for skype like they did for Facebook, WLM and Twitter.

I can only hope.
    11-22-12 12:50 PM
    Why is it any Droid or iphone or Windows phone can use Skype but the majority of Blackberry phones are unable to use it?
    ...The same question goes for Netflix - why can everyone else use it but Blackberry cant?

Eventually people will start to understand that THE ABOVE is what the cause of the market share loss was ( and is )....
    ...RIM knows how to build a quality device with killer good looks - they just missed the boat for functionality on those things the majority of people want.
    ...When the functionality of their devices are compared to the other devices that CAN run those things that are evidently VERY important to people.
    11-22-12 01:19 PM
    Why is it any Droid or iphone or Windows phone can use Skype but the majority of Blackberry phones are unable to use it?
    ...The same question goes for Netflix - why can everyone else use it but Blackberry cant?

Eventually people will start to understand that THE ABOVE is what the cause of the market share loss was ( and is )....
    ...RIM knows how to build a quality device with killer good looks - they just missed the boat for functionality on those things the majority of people want.
    ...When the functionality of their devices are compared to the other devices that CAN run those things that are evidently VERY important to people.
    And the worst part are the apologists who say crap like "Oh, who cares about Netflix, or Skype, or Instagram." I have news for you. A LOT OF PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THOSE THINGS, and the lack of these apps will absolutely KILL BB10.
    chrysaurora likes this.
    11-22-12 02:21 PM
    I think the elimination of Windows Live Messenger actually improves the chances that Skype will be included in BB10.

Microsoft wants to reduce the number of messaging platforms it supports, and that's cool, but they may feel some degree of obligation to support the same range of devices that WLM covered. Time will tell.
    11-22-12 02:48 PM
    And the worst part are the apologists who say crap like "Oh, who cares about Netflix, or Skype, or Instagram." I have news for you. A LOT OF PEOPLE CARE ABOUT THOSE THINGS, and the lack of these apps will absolutely KILL BB10.
    I've been beating that drum since day one - coming from the perspective of watching everyone at my company except for me and another person leave for IOS or Droid...
    ....Obviously, the company I work for isn't the only one that THIS has been happening at.
    ....It's like the RIM apologists believe that if RIM continues to appeal to a diminishing segment of the market things will work out just fine!

I am a Blackberry fanboy and I want to see RIM survive this - and I know from experience WHY they have lost so much market share.....
    ...It's not because of poor hardware or phone call quality - it's all about functionality and how their devices CAN'T do what people want to do.
    chrysaurora likes this.
    11-22-12 03:23 PM

Well u know what always happens, the underdogs always come out on top.
    When BlackBerry 10 outsells Iphone and Android maybe Netflix and Skype and all the rest who shunned BlackBerry will see the error of their ways.
    I mean iphone for example, they got everyone excited about ios 6 but they were let down by it because it was the same worn out GUI and functionality plus it was made worse by a crap maps app that was broken and bug filled.

11-24-12 01:18 PM
    We can only hope Microsoft do something when BB10 comes around.

12-04-12 10:39 AM
    I think the elimination of Windows Live Messenger actually improves the chances that Skype will be included in BB10.

Microsoft wants to reduce the number of messaging platforms it supports, and that's cool, but they may feel some degree of obligation to support the same range of devices that WLM covered. Time will tell.

the way i read the news was they were going to fold WLM into Skype, of course you can only do that if there is a Skype to begin with.....
    12-04-12 10:55 AM
    the way i read the news was they were going to fold WLM into Skype, of course you can only do that if there is a Skype to begin with.....
    Of course it's going to go in bb10 but this thread is about phones running OS 5,6,&7 who are most likely to be left behind
    04-05-13 02:06 PM
    IM+ on BB5 has Skype chat built in. I don't remember if Nimbuzz has Skype chat as well. The native app might be gone, but there should be an option through 3rd party offerings.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 10:50 PM