I've been using kobo on my playbook since day 1 (and I bought the playbook on day1 for a ton of $$).

I'm not here to about the quality of the App. We all know it's basic and basically sucks, no highlighting, no dictionary, sync issues, I could go on...

What I can't fathom is how this is good for either RIM or Kobo. If gives people the impression that Kobo is inferior to Amazon, and it gives the impression that RIM is inferior to Apple and Google.

I don't want to start a thread with people telling me they are inferior. I'll just say this. If the playbook/BB10 is so easy to program for why can't they at least put a dictionary function in the thing? Why didn they update it beyond maybe some bug fixes (btw it still has bugs). How does having a crap app serve either company

Any insights into why neither company cares about this app? Is it really that expensive to fix it?
    08-30-12 02:41 PM
    I can understand where you're coming from. Overall, Im pretty disappointed with my Playbook because of the choice of apps. Kobo is disappointing and sideloading the Kindle app sucks. Even the Zinio app feels incomplete, like it wasnt really made for the Playbook.

A lot of the apps available for Playbook seem like second tier apps or cheap knockoffs. It definitely hurts RIM when compared to the iPad and Android tablets. It confrims RIM's reputation of "Blackberry doesn't have apps."

Luckily, I only paid $199 for the device, but really wish I could trade it in for a Nexus 7.
    08-30-12 02:53 PM
    Why does the kindle app suck? I use it all the time and it works great. I can't for the life of me understand why amazon doesn't put it in app world.
    08-30-12 05:59 PM
    Why does the kindle app suck? I use it all the time and it works great. I can't for the life of me understand why amazon doesn't put it in app world.
    I agree, the kindle app works great, just wish there was a native, more polished version to have.
    08-30-12 06:03 PM

Because it has to be sideloaded and the Android App player is glitchy.
    08-30-12 06:11 PM
    I agree, the kindle app works great, just wish there was a native, more polished version to have.
    Hey guys, my problem is that the kindle app which I sideloaded onto my playbook will not work at all off line. So if I'm on an airplane, which I am on a lot it's useless.

I wish Kindle would put the app to App World and then update it so that it works offline.

Maybe there is some trick to making it work while no on wifi that I'm missing. If so please let me know.
    08-30-12 07:08 PM
    It doesn't say anything about RIM...it's just an app...just like any other app.

And I love Kobo. I think that it's great.
    08-30-12 08:40 PM
    I like my kobo app, it does everything it should eh. It can always be better, hopefully once the BB10 kick in eh
    08-30-12 10:22 PM
    I have both kindle and kobo, and use them all the time, both on and off line. no issues here. like em both
    08-30-12 11:37 PM
    Hey guys, my problem is that the kindle app which I sideloaded onto my playbook will not work at all off line. So if I'm on an airplane, which I am on a lot it's useless.

I wish Kindle would put the app to App World and then update it so that it works offline.

Maybe there is some trick to making it work while no on wifi that I'm missing. If so please let me know.
    I'll agree 100% that there NEEDS to be a Kindle app specifically built for the PB AND for BB10, but rather than side loading the android app onto the PB I simply went to Amazon's website and associated my PB with my kindle account. That got all my kindle books onto my PB, keeps 'em syncd with my "real" Kindle and my 9930's kindle app, and (most importantly) allowed me to download the books to my PB so I could read when I wasn't on line. Granted, you have to find a wifi connection to sync up at some point so you're in the same place/book across all devices, but it worked great during the last plane trip.
    08-31-12 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD