Now that it has been confirmed that the 4G LTE Playbook is being released, I feel the next question is what does this mean for BB10.

I clearly remember Kevin stating numerous times that one of the advantages for RIM using QNX OS was that once they had programmed the radio stack code it would be held in it's own silo, so to speak, in the OS and would not need to be changed or updated with every OS upgrade. This is significant because once the radio stack code is approved by carriers then any upgrade can be pushed out by RIM and not go through carrier testing again, unlike what happens currently with BB phones.

This would greatly reduce testing time for BB products and allow them to be able to get product out the door faster. I sure there will be some sort of testing by carriers just hopefully just not as long as it has taken in the past.

So now that RIM's radio code has been approved by some carriers will this not need to be tested again by the carriers?

Usually I would hope Phonegeek would respond to this type of post unfortunately I have not seem him posting here in a long long time.
    08-03-12 10:35 AM
    This is already present in the dev alpha. Two main files (alot of smaller apps), the core OS and the radio file. These can be updated independently from one another. So the carriers will still certify the radio code, but the core OS will be controlled/updated by RIM.
    08-03-12 10:39 AM
    This is already present in the dev alpha. Two main files (alot of smaller apps), the core OS and the radio file. These can be updated independently from one another. So the carriers will still certify the radio code, but the core OS will be controlled/updated by RIM.
    Thanks Sith

Once the LTE code has been certified then hardware or core OS upgrades will not have to do carrier testing again or at least reduce the time for carrier testing. Right?

Being ATT customer I know the pains of how slow this process can take with some carriers.
    08-03-12 10:46 AM
    Core OS will be outside of carrier testing. The radio code will still have to be certified individually by the carriers, but it wont have to be redone for each small OS change.

And you are most welcome
    Foreverup likes this.
    08-03-12 10:51 AM
    So back to the original question, now that RIM has gotten their LTE code, at least on Canadian carriers, certified for the playbook. Will this mean that the BB10 radio code will not have to go through carrier testing with carriers that release the 4G playbook before BB10 is released?
    08-03-12 11:00 AM
    eh, this OS and the BB10 OS are vastly different. I would say they would have at least one revision before BB10 comes out on the handsets (or as it comes out), then the Playbook. Also remember the BB10 devices will contain NFC (based off the current information) and I am not certain if that is part of the radio code file or not.
    08-03-12 11:03 AM
    Either way, if the carriers are offering it through their stores they will want to test the device to make sure that changes will not adversely impact their customers or their bottom line. Regarding what RIM can convince them to allow...I'm not sure.
    08-04-12 12:55 AM
    Either way, if the carriers are offering it through their stores they will want to test the device to make sure that changes will not adversely impact their customers or their bottom line. Regarding what RIM can convince them to allow...I'm not sure.
    I'm positive there will be some testing but that could be just to insure the os is stable. then the testing process could be shorter if the radio code is already certified it would be one less thing to test.

Heck bb7 phones were given to carriers in like July and took about 3 months to test that should be shortened if they already know there is no connection issues.
    08-04-12 07:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD