Is it the full QWERTY pkb, the focus on productivity, the great communication tool or the security you (will) miss the most about Blackberry?
    For me it is totally about full QWERTY pkb, I looked at the Titan range and they aren't for me. With no BB even on the horizon, give me a turbo charged Nokia c3-00, E27, or x2-01 and I'm opening my wallet. What do you guys think?
    Mehdi Ben Gurion likes this.
    01-06-22 05:00 PM
    the qwerty and the security in the same time. the fact that users can't access most of system files is amazing to me. if you as a user can't - nobody can. and there will be always a keyboard phone every period, just wait for it from any brand, it won't matter. like imagine an android xiaomi square phone with an amazing keyboard and their flagship specs and displays and cameras, or any other brand it won't matter. take my money.

Posted via CB10
    jng0705 likes this.
    01-06-22 05:07 PM
    Is it the full QWERTY pkb, the focus on productivity, the great communication tool or the security you (will) miss the most about Blackberry?
    For me it is totally about full QWERTY pkb, I looked at the Titan range and they aren't for me. With no BB even on the horizon, give me a turbo charged Nokia c3-00, E27, or x2-01 and I'm opening my wallet. What do you guys think?
    I haven't seen you here since 9 years. Glad that you still remember your account password, and glad that you're still here and fine.
    01-06-22 05:09 PM
    the qwerty and the security in the same time. the fact that users can't access most of system files is amazing to me. if you as a user can't - nobody can. and there will be always a keyboard phone every period, just wait for it from any brand, it won't matter. like imagine an android xiaomi square phone with an amazing keyboard and their flagship specs and displays and cameras, or any other brand it won't matter. take my money.

Posted via CB10
    So you're a big fan of BlackBerry security, yet would go with a physical keyboard phone from just about anyone, and even one from a Chinese company?
    Last edited by conite; 01-06-22 at 06:01 PM.
    dmlis and SoundChaser007 like this.
    01-06-22 05:15 PM
    because there isn't much choice, if only blackberry would make another one, later in a year or 2. that'll never happen. so if you can't have security anymore, at least have a keyboard and let them spy on you. there is no other secure phones on the market, apple? isn't, android is open source and vulnerable, only blackberry that you could trust to a certain point not fully, and that? is dead too. i'd buy an android qwerty if it is my only choice for a keyboard. security? no more. no other company would, because to sell personal data and ads is the new gold.

Posted via CB10
    Old_Mil likes this.
    01-06-22 05:25 PM
    The keyboard, 100%. I'm on day 5 of this Pixel 5a and typing is a hard adjustment. I type a lot slower and make way too many errors.

Maybe it'll improve with time but it'll never be the same. 😥
    01-06-22 06:01 PM
    because there isn't much choice, if only blackberry would make another one, later in a year or 2. that'll never happen. so if you can't have security anymore, at least have a keyboard and let them spy on you. there is no other secure phones on the market, apple? isn't, android is open source and vulnerable, only blackberry that you could trust to a certain point not fully, and that? is dead too. i'd buy an android qwerty if it is my only choice for a keyboard. security? no more. no other company would, because to sell personal data and ads is the new gold.

Posted via CB10
    Current platforms, if managed correctly, are more secure than BB10.
    Tsepz_GP and jng0705 like this.
    01-06-22 06:02 PM
    The keyboard, 100%. I'm on day 5 of this Pixel 5a and typing is a hard adjustment. I type a lot slower and make way too many errors.

Maybe it'll improve with time but it'll never be the same.
    It will be better. Don't worry.
    01-06-22 06:02 PM

Maybe it'll improve with time but it'll never be the same.

It will be better. Don't worry.
    Wrong (to a certain extent).

Can we stop lying to people telling them VKB is just as nice and accurate to type on as a decent PKB?

It's been over a month and a half since I switched from a KEY2 to a Pixel 5 (due to fear mongering here about no security updates) and after all this time, typo rate is still considerably higher than what it was with just about any QWERTY phone, and swipe typing still doesn't get the words right every time.

Glass is a compromise too.
    01-06-22 06:08 PM

Can we stop lying to people telling them VKB is just as nice and accurate to type on as a decent PKB?

It's been over a month and a half since I switched from a KEY2 to a Pixel 5 (due to fear mongering here about no security updates) and after all this time, typo rate is still considerably higher than what it was with just about any QWERTY phone, and swipe typing still doesn't get the words right every time.

Why do you call it fear-mongering if you (presumably) believe it?

I'm not lying by relaying my personal experience that typing on a vkb is no worse than a pkb with respect to net typing performance.
    01-06-22 06:37 PM
    Why do you call it fear-mongering if you (presumably) believe it?
    No security patches = HackBerry
    01-06-22 07:56 PM
    So you're a big fan of BlackBerry security, yet would go with a physical keyboard phone from just about anyone, and even one from a Chinese company?
    Because some of us are not as paranoid as you are.
    01-06-22 10:26 PM
    Because some of us are not as paranoid as you are.
    01-06-22 10:41 PM

VKB is just as accurate and possibly nicer to type on as a PKB. Unless you're using the BlackBerry VKB. I think they purposely gimped it to be more annoying.

Source: 14 years of using both.

Posted via CB10
    John Albert likes this.
    01-06-22 11:49 PM
    the fact that users can't access most of system files is amazing to me. if you as a user can't - nobody can.
    Posted via CB10
    Just because you haven't tried doesn't mean apps aren't.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-22 11:52 PM
    I'll miss the PKB most but also the build quality of BlackBerry built phones. Owner of only BlackBerry since 2008. Never once bought a case and i'm a construction worker who subjected the phones to many harsh conditions.
    jng0705 likes this.
    01-07-22 12:35 AM
    I'll miss the PKB most but also the build quality of BlackBerry built phones. Owner of only BlackBerry since 2008. Never once bought a case and i'm a construction worker who subjected the phones to many harsh conditions.
    Get yourself a phone that is IP68 rated and you should be good.
    01-07-22 12:45 AM
    For me the only thing I miss at all is the physical keyboard.
    jng0705, the_boon and Bfalcon1 like this.
    01-07-22 10:53 PM

Maybe it'll improve with time but it'll never be the same. 😥
    It will improve with time, and of course you have the advantage of more screen area for all those other uses of smartphones that are now much (much, much) more than emailing-on-the-go machines.

After a succession of WinPhones, Pixels, and Samsungs over the years, I can slide-type much faster than I ever did with a PKB. Accuracy is generally good, and the word suggestions it makes when it gets it wrong are normally spot-on and a quick flick to correct. I believe the keyboard learns, so the predictions get better with time.

Do I miss my Torch?

Actually, I do. It was right-sized (I don't like big phones - and have now moved to a Flip3) and I certainly miss the flashing red light!

That was then, and realistically my Torch wouldn't be able to compete with modern smartphones in any of the things they can now do. Nostalgia is always viewed though rose-tinted glasses.
    Laura Knotek and ppeters914 like this.
    01-08-22 05:31 AM
    I'am not changing my BlackBerry Classic, unless the mobile provider stops me using text and calls etc.

Obviously 4G will be stopped if and when it's only 5G, hopefully that won't be for a while, until then i'll keep using my BB10 Classic.

My phone still works and i'm stubborn and I won't kneel to corporate share monopoly. I've (2) extra Classic's for back up if my main dies. Everyone makes their own choices that's mine and i'm sticking to it.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10788967) and gerson008 like this.
    01-08-22 08:23 AM
    VKB is just as accurate
    There's still two and a half months 'til April 1st
    01-12-22 09:21 PM
    It will improve with time
    Somewhat, but it won't match a good ol' set of keys that was designed specifically for typing.

Those that haven't pushed a key in so long are just used to the compromise that is the VKB.
    jng0705 likes this.
    01-12-22 09:25 PM
    After having spent 10+ years on construction sites, I'll say that a slab offers far more resistance to the constant dust than a pKB device.
    01-12-22 09:40 PM
    Somewhat, but it won't match a good ol' set of keys that was designed specifically for typing.

Those that haven't pushed a key in so long are just used to the compromise that is the VKB.
    Or, and hear me out, we’re actually just fine with using VKBs and don’t feel there’s any compromises. We’d know far better than you, being the ones using them.
    john_v and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-12-22 11:22 PM

People used to say the same thing about BB10 and yet somehow we’ve prospered.
    01-13-22 08:26 AM
98 123 ...