Like Gretzky said, skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it's been. Pre-Christmas was a cluster**** of iPhone and Android contract price slashes and Windows Phone 8. CES was largely underwhelming, most interesting things were iPhone peripherals and the Xperia Z. All eyes can now be on BB10. Most importantly, CES was too far away from...

Let's see. Over a year late, the tablet was half baked for almost a year and still doesn't run BB10.

This phone has yet to come out. I haven't really seen ads on tv, internet, or social media. Most of my friends know nothing, I guess its unfair to judge until Feb.

Super Bowl! Between the 100+ million viewers, that commercial will get serious YouTube hits and media coverage after the actual Super Bowl. BB10 awareness is pretty damn low in the general public right now, but next Sunday should change that drastically.
    01-27-13 01:36 AM
    I think it's unlikely... RIM's the only one who has anything to say this time around. The others would just be throwing their money away.
    You can be sure that Samsung will be throwing plenty of money at adverts along with probably apple and microsoft.
    01-27-13 06:30 AM
    You can be sure that Samsung will be throwing plenty of money at adverts along with probably apple and microsoft.
    In the SuperBowl? I thought that's what the topic was.
    01-27-13 03:20 PM
    yes im sure you will see a samsung superbowl add. They are hit pretty hard with the galaxy commercials that are very good
    01-27-13 04:45 PM
    I'm starting to the Sammys ads aren't that great anymore. They already got their point across, that was, to be the phone you should buy instead of waiting for an iphone that still can't do what Sammy can.

But now, I think their commercials are just....too long. I know they have shorter versions, but it almost feels like they have a commercial to show off every feature (I guess beating Apple at their own game) but it has become redundant, possibly because there isn't much to talk about.

They jab RIM a few times, with their commercial stating how it can do work AND play.

2. They have 2 commercials....about the same thing, you can tap and share video/data (wife sex video/Mrs Claus sex video...not to mention every commercial)

3. Lebron commercial....showing.....6 other brands besides Samsung, oh yeah, his kid draws a fro on lebrons bald head (yay I paid $600 for a doodle machine) then Lebron, who already has a receding hairline and a sharp hair cut, goes to the barber shop....to get hair he already has cut and lined up.....cut and lined up some more?

4. The work video with the chubby girl, they showcase you can work and play at the same time (see exhibit 1) and they TAP to share data.....

5. They have plenty of ads telling the masses that the iphone is not the best spec wise.

So. I am not mad at Sammy, I like their product, if BB10 falters, I'll prolly pick up SGS4....but seriously, they are like lil wayne, making themselves banal. They just need to chill and let word of mouth work, instead of their advertising budget. Kinda like luxury cars, you don't see that many ads for them, cuz they speak for themselves.
    01-27-13 05:15 PM
    In the SuperBowl? I thought that's what the topic was.
    Given the advertising budgets of those companies, it would be highly unlikely that they would skip this, just look at how much Samsung spent on the olympics.
    01-27-13 06:10 PM
    If what RIM shows is amazing, then they'll reap the rewards.

There are lessons from Palm in this. I was involved in the webOS launch at CES 2009, and EVERYONE who saw webOS wanted to throw money at Palm. All the Apple fanboys were FURIOUS that Palm would DARE release a product so clearly superior to iPhone 3G.

Where Palm fell down was in three areas:

1) Quality control -- the Pre had a 33% dead-within-24-hours failure rate;
    2) Carrier availability -- only one carrier in one country;
    3) Availability from launch -- they didn't launch until 5 months after showing it, giving Apple time to pimp the 3GS and respond.

RIM is likely okay on QC, and we know they'll be shipping on tons of carriers. Blowing people away with the demo and then making sure they can buy when they're still in "holy crap" mode will ensure success.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    01-27-13 06:24 PM
    +1 on perfect
    01-27-13 08:30 PM
    My phone upgrade was yesterday Jan 26th, so I say for me the timing of BB10 is perfect. Can't wait to get my Z10 from At&t on it's first day release!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 09:38 PM
    Perfect timing.

No competitive launches
    No US election
    No general Christmas hub-bub
    Apple losing its shine
    Superbowl is probably THE best single advertising vehicle worldwide of the entire year

How could the timing possibly be better?
    01-27-13 09:58 PM
    Great points everyone it's Time to shine. Mr heins we give you the spot light take it and go
    01-28-13 01:54 AM
36 12