Now that blackberry has jumped into android what do you guys think about a windows phone make by blackberry??

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 01:38 AM
    Blackberry and Windows?? That's like trying to build and extension on your house whilst the roof and walls are caving in. They went to android due to the large customer base....Windows don't really have a large following so it would be a pointless venture. They haven't even been successful with android yet so a Windows phone would be ridiculous.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-13-16 02:01 AM
    LOL what? Why would one jump to another sinking ship?

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 Phone
    pgg101, RoseBud68, Sairos and 4 others like this.
    09-13-16 02:09 AM
    09-13-16 07:26 AM
    You must learn to accept the "brave new world."
    09-13-16 07:32 AM
    I prefer first BlackBerry OS. Then Windows OS. If they were not both on the edge of death I would say nice fit. But if they were not dying there would be no reason to join forces either.

I don't think the 2 of them together would bring life to either.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 09:01 AM
    I think... WHY?

As BlackBerry is no longer a real manufacture, and Windows Phone is dying... I just don't see the point.
    pgg101 likes this.
    09-13-16 09:15 AM
    I think that the Passport would be the only phone worth moving to Windows since Android isn't an option with its 1:1 ratio..."Surface Passport "

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 09:19 AM
    I think that the Passport would be the only phone worth moving to Windows since Android isn't an option with its 1:1 ratio..."Surface Passport "

Posted via CB10
    What you mean 1:1 ratio?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-13-16 09:26 AM
    That combination of Windows and BlackBerry wouldn't solve anything. The key for these ecosystems is the availability of apps and developer support. Both of these phones lacked that and pursing it. As a result, you either team up with IOS or Android. There really are no other choices unless you can persuade the developers, which has proven to be next to impossible.
    09-13-16 10:38 AM

Screen ratio. It is a square.
    09-13-16 10:39 AM

Android doesn't allow square screens.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 10:44 AM
    Android doesn't allow square screens.
    To be correct, the Google Play license doesn't allow square screens, because the app development environment doesn't support that screen layout, and the license is to help protect, among other things, the best interests of the hundreds of thousands of app developers that develop for the Play Store.

BB signed this license in order to get access to Google Play, and must comply with it going forward for any Android phone* they make.

*This includes any new phone that contains any Android code - if it contains Android code, it must be fully compliant with the license terms. Nothing prevents BB from making a phone with a non-Android OS (BB10 [with no Android runtime], WinPhone, Tizen, Sailfish, etc.) in whatever ratio they like.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-13-16 11:17 AM
    What would BlackBerry software do for a Windows phone? The live tiles sort of give the functionality of the home screen and hub. Anything else also has a Windows alternative. Microsoft has been in the end-to-end solutions game longer than anyone, so there is practically nothing that BlackBerry could offer to make it worth their time.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-13-16 02:38 PM
    What would BlackBerry software do for a Windows phone? The live tiles sort of give the functionality of the home screen and hub. Anything else also has a Windows alternative. Microsoft has been in the end-to-end solutions game longer than anyone, so there is practically nothing that BlackBerry could offer to make it worth their time.
    If it had full Win 10 functionality it will move to being a smartphone to a handheld laptop.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 03:52 PM
    LOL what? Why would one jump to another sinking ship?
    Haha one is high or drunk.
    09-13-16 05:27 PM
    If it had full Win 10 functionality it will move to being a smartphone to a handheld laptop.
    I think that is ultimately Microsoft's strategy, and why they are still pouring resources into mobile.
    09-13-16 06:23 PM
    I think that is ultimately Microsoft's strategy, and why they are still pouring resources into mobile.
    Yes, it is the only thing that they can really differentiate themselves with. And it's a pretty big thing to go all in on. Personally, as a Windows 10 user for my laptop PC, I'm not sure if it's the best strategy as I feel like there are things being compromised with the desktop experience to make it more "mobile" friendly and that isn't right since that's what their foundation is built upon.

I also agree that BlackBerry has nothing to offer Microsoft except for the physical keyboard. Software-wise, Microsoft was trying to be as complete out of the box as BB10 was. With Android, BlackBerry can really leverage their software. With Windows, they would be competing with what's already built in to the OS.
    09-13-16 06:56 PM
    It would be like two drunks trying to hold each other upright while stumbling out of the bar
    ubizmo and Tsepz_GP like this.
    09-13-16 07:22 PM
    Blackberry and Windows are talking

Windows: Can we form a formidable duo that will be good enough to face android and IOS

Blackberry: Choke Slams Windows

Then Blackberry gets the mic.

Blackberry: Rest In Peace!!! ala undertaker's voice and kneel down with matching slit throat gesture hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 10:59 PM
    Sounds like a bad idea.
    09-14-16 03:30 AM
    What's sad is how both have been so inflexible with their mobile "plans" and thus have not been relevant for a number of years. MS has worked so hard to shoehorn the desktop experience into a mobile device... yet we now have a generation that doesn't really know what the desktop experience even was.

BlackBerry just got lucky with push email and for some reason assumed that everyone would just keep buying..... but activesync changed that. Well activesync and Steve Jobs who envisioned much more for smartphones, and Google who worked very hard to copy everything Steve was doing and to pull eyeballs to their advertising ecosystem (they had money to burn, and the ability to accept and make changes). Remember how the first Android was going to be a BlackBerry clone.... then the iPhone dropped and Google very quickly dropped their plan and changed to an iPhone clone.

Meanwhile MS and RIM were too grumpy old men who taught they new better than these whippersnappers.
    eshropshire likes this.
    09-14-16 07:42 AM
    To be correct, the Google Play license doesn't allow square screens, because the app development environment doesn't support that screen layout, and the license is to help protect, among other things, the best interests of the hundreds of thousands of app developers that develop for the Play Store.

BB signed this license in order to get access to Google Play, and must comply with it going forward for any Android phone* they make.

*This includes any new phone that contains any Android code - if it contains Android code, it must be fully compliant with the license terms. Nothing prevents BB from making a phone with a non-Android OS (BB10 [with no Android runtime], WinPhone, Tizen, Sailfish, etc.) in whatever ratio they like.
    Rules are rules. It's just frustrating (a bit) that Android does have the screen compatibility support to resize to fit the screen. On the 720p Classic apparently it would mess up a lot of Android apps. But on the Passport with 1440 x 1440 res, every single app I installed displayed beautifully. I'm sure there might have been a few exceptions, but based on my own experience I'd guess that 95% at least would look fine. Google Maps, imho, looks better and is easier to follow on a square screen. Ah, sigh...
    09-14-16 08:10 AM
    You must learn to accept the "brave new world."
    Correct.

The choice is between Android and ... well, there is no other choice.

It's just great!
    09-14-16 08:21 AM
    Rules are rules. It's just frustrating (a bit) that Android does have the screen compatibility support to resize to fit the screen. On the 720p Classic apparently it would mess up a lot of Android apps. But on the Passport with 1440 x 1440 res, every single app I installed displayed beautifully. I'm sure there might have been a few exceptions, but based on my own experience I'd guess that 95% at least would look fine. Google Maps, imho, looks better and is easier to follow on a square screen. Ah, sigh...
    Just a matter of trying to make things "simple" for developer and prevent the Android "market" from fracturing too much (or more than it has already).

But I doubt anyone had a screen like the Passport's in mind when they came up with those rules....
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-14-16 11:20 AM
52 123