i knew two weeks after i got my Pearl (less than a year ago) that I wanted to upgrade to a full size berry. as a t-mo customer and the release of the 8900 on the horizon, i wonder what am i supposed to do with my old Pearl? it's less than a year old, and really too nice a piece of gizmo to sit in the back of my closet.

my plan is to keep it as a spare for awhile. i don't think i can sell it..as a chef i've been **** on this phone in the worst possible environment for sensitive electronics; it's been dropped on hard tile floors, i've head to clean the trackball because i had flour on my hands, etc.

so do people keep them when they upgrade? throw them away?
    01-04-09 02:14 AM
    Keep as a back up! or sell it on ebay I heard of some trade ins but that's rare. Do you have kids or a life partner...... A friend / sibling I don't have a sim card as I am with sprint and need to have a back up to see my phone so the esn is clear to the new one arives...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 02:28 AM
    no kids, and i live with my fiance. i kind of think the sim card kills making this phone a "hand me down", unless there are other options...i need to move my current sim to the new Curve when it gets here
    01-04-09 02:33 AM
    I sell mine to friends that don't have BBs. I do take care of my devices so it's not too hard to sell plus I give them a really good deal. One way for me to get them addicted to BB!

01-04-09 02:40 AM
    I've sold all mine. If I lose or break any of mine, I'll buy a new one.
    01-04-09 02:51 AM
    no kids, and i live with my fiance. i kind of think the sim card kills making this phone a "hand me down", unless there are other options...i need to move my current sim to the new Curve when it gets here
    When you get the Curve it will come witih a new SIM. You can also buy a new one from T-Mobile for something like $10-15.00

Sill, it can't hurt to have a backup unit.
    01-04-09 06:10 AM
    Ebay or blackberry trade up program!

01-04-09 06:11 AM
    Never throw away! The phones should not go into the trash A. Because it's actuall illegal-they don't biodegrade and the battery turns poisonous. B. A lot of organizations accept phones to help the needy and to recycle. Do a quick google search.

01-04-09 06:56 AM
    I have an old 7290. They make great paperweights!
    01-04-09 07:11 AM
    I have every old phone I ever owned-20 years worth! Someday I will dispose of them and the 50-60 old computers I have. I won't throw them away because they all have hazardous materials in them and I don't want them to wind up in a landfill or some third world country poisoning children who dismantle them unsafely.
    01-04-09 07:42 AM
    They make lovely Christmas tree ornaments
    01-04-09 07:57 AM
    Keep them! No sell, no give!!! MINE MINE MINE!!!!

J/K...I usually pass my phones on to folks in the family...
    01-04-09 08:30 AM
    My vote is keep it for a back up or donate it to a charity that could use it.
    01-04-09 09:14 AM
    Looney2ns, if you google "computer recycling" you're sure to find a local recycling center that will do the right thing.
    Shortly before the 08 olympic games, China shut its doors to the rest of the world when it comes to importing recyclable materials such as computers, paper & other plastics. So were sure to have another 3rd world country step up to bat to take Chinas place. India is a very good candidate. Sadly, no matter how many individuals do the honorable thing like try and prevent things like this, big corporations provide a steady stream of waste electronics. They all wind up going to the highest bidder (recycling operation) and they, in turn, sell this product to the highest bidder. In this case it will undoubtedly be a 3rd world country due to their, ahhh "relaxed" (non-existant) enviro regs.
    I'm in the solid waste/ recycling industry so I see this 1st hand. If I told you some of the things I've seen shipped for recycling you wouldn't believe it. Human life has a very low value when it comes to money.
    So, don't feel too guilty if one day you've just got to do something with fed up with that pile of pc's and phones and decide to just toss em. I'll forgive you, the list of corporate sinners is just to large to stop.

01-04-09 09:44 AM
    My vote is keep it for a back up or donate it to a charity that could use it.
    That's my vote, in this case.

Most often, the charities that need it are those where they deal with the homeless or battered spouses. Since dialing out 911 is free, it's a lifeline if they find themselves in assistance.
    01-04-09 10:28 AM
    I always donate them to an organization where they are given to abused women. Having the ability to call 911 may save their ife.
    01-04-09 10:33 AM
    My Pearl is gonna be my backup phone once the 8900 comes out.

01-04-09 10:33 AM
    Another charity idea is services like ChildLine (I am sure there is an equivalent service in your state) which is children's telephone counseling service. ChildLine here do a phone amnesty each year, allowing people to hand in old phones for distribution to children in need.
    01-04-09 11:03 AM
    Old BlackBerrys never die. They just lose their berrys.
    01-04-09 11:09 AM
    Lol pete.... Do they become one berry short of a bunch?

In at seriousness if you don't want to keep it, give it to a womans charity. That is my vote too

01-04-09 11:24 AM
    I happen to stumble into a cell phone store that handles a variety of carriers. Luckily, they also buy used phones. That gave me $100 for my Curve and I used that towards the Storm.

Maybe there is a place like that around you...
    01-04-09 11:32 AM
    If you don't have any other Berry's, a back up is valuable to have so you are never de-berry'd. When you have two back-ups then definitely donate one to a worthy cause as mentioned above. If you really need the money, then craigslist is easiest... Enjoy your new Berry.

01-04-09 11:41 AM
    Use the pearl when going out so you don't damage your "good" phone. Or just keep it as a backup in case something bad happens to your 8900, you never know

01-04-09 12:32 PM
    Sell them on ebay or craigslist,

01-04-09 12:40 PM
    Sell Sell Sell. Every time my electronics are old news and I upgrade or buy a new one I sell the previous one. I always try to earn back enough money to make it look like I never spent any at all. I take my money seriously lol.
    01-04-09 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD