Never thought I'd see the day, but I'm finally tired of holding the same Key2. Been looking at Samsung S21 Ultra. Having tested wife's iPhone, I absolutely hate their keyboard. But I haven't had a chance to try out a keyboard on Android.

Any tips on moving to an Android keyboard?

(Also, what's the best Hub alternative?)
    01-18-22 12:39 PM
    Never thought I'd see the day, but I'm finally tired of holding the same Key2. Been looking at Samsung S21 Ultra. Having tested wife's iPhone, I absolutely hate their keyboard. But I haven't had a chance to try out a keyboard on Android.

Use SwiftKey or Gboard.

Consider a Pixel 6 - much better bang for the buck.

Just use the email client for your specific service. The Android 12 notification tray is perfectly suitable for everything else.
    01-18-22 12:54 PM
    Keep using Samsung keyboard. At first, I didn't like it, but it is one of the best and you will get used to it.

Wait for the S22.
    If you like the Hub, Hub+ is still available in Google Play Store, but I don't recommend it.
    01-18-22 12:55 PM

iPhone's keyboard can be changed... can use the same Gboard or Swiftkey keyboards that Android users love.

In the end there are a LOT of advantages of using the same platform that your wife is using, so you might consider that. Can share services (storge, music, health...) and app, being able to Airdrop link and documents, secure messaging using the stock iMessage... For me they are pretty much interchangable, it's just the advantage of the ecosystem that my whole family is already on (I was kind of the last man out).

There is no real all in one HUB alternative, even the BlackBerry App really doesn't do what the BB10 HUB was able to do... just use the notification system and you'll be fine. I did like the whole suite of apps that Microsoft offers...
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    01-18-22 01:09 PM
    iPhone's keyboard can be changed... can use the same Gboard or Swiftkey keyboards that Android users love.

In the end there are a LOT of advantages of using the same platform that your wife is using, so you might consider that. Can share services (storge, music, health...) and app, being able to Airdrop link and documents, secure messaging using the stock iMessage... For me they are pretty much interchangable, it's just the advantage of the ecosystem that my whole family is already on (I was kind of the last man out).

There is no real all in one HUB alternative, even the BlackBerry App really doesn't do what the BB10 HUB was able to do... just use the notification system and you'll be fine. I did like the whole suite of apps that Microsoft offers...
    They may have the same name, but they aren’t the same keyboards on iOS as they are on Android. They’re dressed up iOS keyboards with a couple options. In SwiftKey’s case, they’ll actually stay set on iOS. I didn’t care for the iOS keyboard until I tried Gboard, which I am a huge fan of on Android.
    01-18-22 02:11 PM
    I am 100% vested in the ecosystem and love it, I agree the VKB is good but could be a lot better for sure. Have tried Swift and Gboard on my 11 Pro and found no difference other than aesthetics. The problem with them is you cannot increase haptic feedback which is what makes those VKB’s so good. Hopefully a change will come in the future, although I suspect battery drain is one of the major reasons that haptics are weaker on an iPhone. Bottom line for me, small inconvenience when considering the bountiful benefits of the ecosystem which most of my family, friends and colleagues are also on. Good luck,
    01-18-22 03:09 PM
    I still use the Hub and Blackberry apps and enjoy using it. I even use Blackberry launcher on my Samsung work phone. On my Unihertz Titan Pocket, the screen is too small for the launcher so I use the built in launcher for the bigger icons. But Hub works fine. The main reason I still have my fingers crossed about Onward Mobility is so Blackberry doesn't drop the app suite.
    01-18-22 03:20 PM
    I still use the Hub and Blackberry apps and enjoy using it. I even use Blackberry launcher on my Samsung work phone. On my Unihertz Titan Pocket, the screen is too small for the launcher so I use the built in launcher for the bigger icons. But Hub works fine. The main reason I still have my fingers crossed about Onward Mobility is so Blackberry doesn't drop the app suite.
    We have no info about OM using the app suite though. Why do you think that will save it?
    01-18-22 04:26 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm mostly a stock guy. I've never tinkered with the Key2. Everything is stock.

I also get the whole Apple ecosystem thing, but I'm a marketer and Apple has screwed me and my company royally in the last year losing upwards of 200k, so I kind of hate them (but use their MacBooks lol).

I also don't want to keep spending a pretty penny everytime something bad happens. Also, I feel the iPhone is pretty stock in a way too and I'd have to find ways to need to tinker to customize it. I think BB stock did very well and I _think_ Samsung might be the same. I've had to type emails on behalf of my wife on her iPhone when she's cooking, etc and there hasn't been a single time I said "oh that's nice". I just don't want that kind of negavity in my day lol. I also very much want to use widgets that I feel Android does well with.
    01-18-22 04:32 PM
    We have no info about OM using the app suite though. Why do you think that will save it?
    OM announced a year ago that they were using their "own solutions" and not BB Ltd apps or security. That's why EOL announcements for the app suite have already been made. Whether OM releases a phone or not, nothing changes with the BB apps.
    John Albert and JeepBB like this.
    01-18-22 04:40 PM
    I've been a big fan of Motorola phones. great bang for the buck and a suite of useful features. if you are considering the pixel or Samsung, definitely consider a Motorola
    to boldly go likes this.
    01-18-22 04:47 PM
    I could flip what you are saying around and say since we have no info why would I not think it would have the app suite? Hub has been a part of every blackberry for a long time and has continued on Android blackberrys. Maybe OM skips it, but I don't think it is crazy to think they would keep it.
    01-18-22 04:55 PM
    I could flip what you are saying around and say since we have no info why would I not think it would have the app suite? Hub has been a part of every blackberry for a long time and has continued on Android blackberrys. Maybe OM skips it, but I don't think it is crazy to think they would keep it.
    So they are going to feature EOL software??? Sounds like a winning strategy
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-18-22 04:57 PM
    I've been a big fan of Motorola phones. great bang for the buck and a suite of useful features. if you are considering the pixel or Samsung, definitely consider a Motorola
    Unless you want to avoid Chinese phones. Motorola also has one of the worst update/patch record.
    Devil and dmlis like this.
    01-18-22 05:02 PM
    So they are going to feature EOL software??? Sounds like a winning strategy
    Sounds less crazy to me than releasing a Blackberry phone in the first place...
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-18-22 05:10 PM
    Motorola seems to be a separately operating company within the umbrella of Lenovo, but you can never be quite sure that there is no influence on the software side. You are right about the security patch update record being poor, but that depends on the phone. Their cheapest phones typically cap out more quickly than their higher end phones.
    01-18-22 05:30 PM
    Unless you want to avoid Chinese phones. Motorola also has one of the worst update/patch record.
    I don't necessarily want to avoid Chinese phones but you are right about the poor update/patch record of Motorola devices.
    01-18-22 05:36 PM
    ...Any tips on moving to an Android keyboard?

Load up the BlackBerry VKB apk. And no, there really isn't an alternative to hub, but for now you can still get it (Android version) in PlayStore.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-18-22 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Clarified that it wad Android version in PlayStore
    Devil likes this.
    01-18-22 05:55 PM
    I use the Galaxy S20 FE which isn't a bad deal right now. The S21 FE has just been released, however, there is no SD card if that's a feature you like.

I have it running the BB virtual keyboard, Hub+ Inbox and Calendar. I never could get used to the Samsung keyboard. Also don't like the main homescreen/app screen UI, so I use Nova launcher which is much more customizable.

My wife has been using an iPhone since getting the 3G back in early 2009. We both started our smartphone lives with the BlackBerry Pearl 8100 in '07, but she broke off to the iPhone with her next upgrade. I stayed with BB through the Torch 9800, then Z10 in 2013. Finally moving to Android with the Samsung S8 in 2017. We've had no problems with the different eco-systems. I've ended up having to fix her problems with the various iPhones she's had over the years anyway.
    Devil likes this.
    01-18-22 09:38 PM
    I personally wanted a smaller slab phone to replace my key2. I tried the Sony xperia 5 iii but ended up with the google pixel pro 6. I miss my key 2 typing experience terribly.
    The issue with a smaller phone is that you'll have a smaller slab of glass / screen to tap on.

Like mentioned here already, the google pixel 6 series is the best bang for your buck! At least up here in Canada anyway.

Get ready for typos!

I'm waiting for that not dead yet 5G Blackberry.......
    01-18-22 10:52 PM

Stock Samsung keyboard is great in my opinion... I would wait for the S22 if I were you. I would get an Android phone over iOS... Better notification system and global gesture support in apps... Pixel 6 has been buggy and finger print sensor reportedly is not the best... The Samsung app ecosystem is great... Check Flossy Carter's videos on you tube regarding this, they are long but give you a thorough appreciation of all the features... Their email and calender apps work really well. They also have the best integration with the 'your phone' app if you are a Windows user and want to integrate with your PC.

Another plus for Samsung is the Galaxy Watch 4, which only works fully with their phones...

S22 Ultra looks like it's going to have great cameras with ten times optical zoom, Note features and built in spen... My brother has the S21 Ultra, you would not be disappointed with it, cameras are great.

I have the Fold 3 and the hardware and software support have been the best I have ever experienced on Android... Personally I will be using folding or two screen devices going forward as these suit my use case...
    Devil and Sporkguy3 like this.
    01-19-22 02:54 AM
    First thing to know about Andy is... Don't grow used to it. It WILL change. The instant you think you're getting things the way your muscle memory likes it, boom. Perpetual obsolescence. Two yrs seems the rule. Feel lucky with three. Hunt hard for four?

My iOS 6s secondary carry has crowded six years of oem support. It's THE most awful typing experience, imo. Lol. BUT it's what gets my banking apps. Agent99 STILL serves unchallenged for typing appliance proficiency. Lol. A powerful team.

My hand's muscle memory demands a good year of learning curve to develop true "thought to thumb" comfort. Nearly as intuitive as thought to speech, given adequate training. "New every two" means I spend half of each device life span in learning curve. Hardest thing for me and my "thought to thumb" usecase to get used to Android about.

If you're still using PKB, some possibility some of this feels intuitive to your "learning style", personality type, etc.? Maybe not? Only you know.

Andy's THE forlorn hope for anything resembling PKB. Or "good" VKB. Plenty of suggestions above there. Just understand the future we're stuck with. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-19-22 at 03:35 AM.
    01-19-22 03:11 AM

Other than what's been stated here already...

If you live in the USA.... pick your carrier and then buy a phone from them.. don't go unlocked as you might end up with a device that's not fully supported. Even the Pixel as the unlocked version doesn't have all the 5G bands that some carriers offer. And if your in the USA, with 3G soon ending.... you need a 5G phone - don't worry about the speed aspects of 5G, it's the coverage that will make a difference.

And give yourself a few months to learn the ins and outs of the new OS... You probable are not going to like it right off, but in time you get use to it.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-19-22 08:33 AM
    Other than what's been stated here already...

If you live in the USA.... pick your carrier and then buy a phone from them.. don't go unlocked as you might end up with a device that's not fully supported. Even the Pixel as the unlocked version doesn't have all the 5G bands that some carriers offer. And if your in the USA, with 3G soon ending.... you need a 5G phone - don't worry about the speed aspects of 5G, it's the coverage that will make a difference.

And give yourself a few months to learn the ins and outs of the new OS... You probable are not going to like it right off, but in time you get use to it.
    Thanks!

I'm in Canada using Bell. Bell has the phone and so does samsung.ca (which has slightly better payment terms) and all I care about is being able to use it internationally when I put an international sim in there. You're saying don't go direct and buy from Bell instead?
    01-19-22 09:16 AM
    Thanks!

I'm in Canada using Bell. Bell has the phone and so does samsung.ca (which has slightly better payment terms) and all I care about is being able to use it internationally when I put an international sim in there. You're saying don't go direct and buy from Bell instead?
    With Bell you should be able to buy unlocked, it's only the US Carrier's that could be an issue.

That said.... how much International travel are you doing, and to where? I'd look at what option Samsung offers to see if they have a phone that fits your local market's "bands" and where every you will be traveling too the best.
    01-19-22 09:25 AM
32 12