I currently have a red 8310 from At&T. I really want the 8820 though -- for the wifi and the color. Okay I know the color thing is superficial but I actually REALLY wanted a black/silver one. I even looked into having the faceplate housing of my curve painted black (actually buying a new set to paint) but I don't want to void my warranty and don't want it to chip. I'm also interested in the wifi because I do a lot of traveling and I'm starting my own travel agency so I need constant access to emails and the idea of being able to use the wifi in other countries (after removing my SIM card?) or whenever the AT&T network is down really appeals to me -- can I actually use it in Germany or Italy?

So my decision is this, everyone I talk to is against me upgrading (spouse, best friend, Mom, etc.) but I want to ask an informed audience. What do you guys think? I don't really use the camera -- I think on my RAZR and Curve I took only a couple pictures to test it, never needed it. Is the WIFI really worth it? Should I go for the black? Is the keyboard on the 8820 worse than the Curve's?

I know I will lose my ringtones but my other stuff is on a micro SD card so I don't mind the physical part of switching. But ultimately, I'm not crazy about the extra $150 and $50 less rebate. At a cost of $200 am I nuts for wanting the 8820 or would you guys do it? (My alternative would be to get an iPod touch for the WIFI access but I'd rather not carry two devices in my purse or briefcase all the time).

Sorry to ramble but I'm so confused...
    12-14-07 09:42 AM
    If your fingers aren't too big, the 8820 keyboard should be fine.

If you don't need the camera, and don't mind the larger size, then get it!

Also, look into Verizon's 8830 WE, which will work in Germany and Italy .
    12-14-07 11:20 AM
    Also, look into Verizon's 8830 WE, which will work in Germany and Italy .
    That means she has to change networks... to basically get a proprietary 8800. Not a good choice.

Staci... go to an AT&T store and play with an 8820. See if you like the keyboard or not. I happen to love my 8820 and the 8300 my company gave me sits in a box on the shelf unused. The WiFi seems to work pretty well. You may have to tweak things around a bit to get the best performance. I notice my browsing is quite a bit faster when I set the browser type to WiFi instead of Internet.

The 88xx series and the 83xx series are all International capable. However, data charges and roaming charges can be outrageous outside the US. If you're outside the US regularly, you may want to look at an International data plan. But yes, you can use them in Germany & Italy. If you have the 8820 and don't want to use the international Blackberry data service, you could occasionally connect the 8820 to a WiFi hotspot and pick up your mail that way.

You don't HAVE to loose any ringtones. Those can be stored on your microSD card and moved to your new phone. Now the only part of this I won't advise you on is... Should you spend $200 just to have a black case. I learned a long time ago... never comment on what a lady thinks is stylish. If it's pretty to her... then it's pretty by golly! I have a friend who loves Jimmy Choo shoes. I may not understand the value or style of a $800 pair of shoes. But she does and that's all that is important. Same thing here. If a black case on a BlackBerry is worth $200 to you, then by golly you should have one.
    12-15-07 08:50 AM
    I currently have a red 8310 from At&T. I really want the 8820 though -- for the wifi and the color. Okay I know the color thing is superficial but I actually REALLY wanted a black/silver one. I even looked into having the faceplate housing of my curve painted black (actually buying a new set to paint) but I don't want to void my warranty and don't want it to chip. I'm also interested in the wifi because I do a lot of traveling and I'm starting my own travel agency so I need constant access to emails and the idea of being able to use the wifi in other countries (after removing my SIM card?) or whenever the AT&T network is down really appeals to me -- can I actually use it in Germany or Italy?

So my decision is this, everyone I talk to is against me upgrading (spouse, best friend, Mom, etc.) but I want to ask an informed audience. What do you guys think? I don't really use the camera -- I think on my RAZR and Curve I took only a couple pictures to test it, never needed it. Is the WIFI really worth it? Should I go for the black? Is the keyboard on the 8820 worse than the Curve's?

I know I will lose my ringtones but my other stuff is on a micro SD card so I don't mind the physical part of switching. But ultimately, I'm not crazy about the extra $150 and $50 less rebate. At a cost of $200 am I nuts for wanting the 8820 or would you guys do it? (My alternative would be to get an iPod touch for the WIFI access but I'd rather not carry two devices in my purse or briefcase all the time).

Sorry to ramble but I'm so confused...
    Are you talking about using the WiFi for data, or are you thinking it can do voice as well? If so, only the 8320 from T-Mobile can do voice (UMA) over WiFi.
    12-15-07 10:00 AM
    Staci already bought the 8820! Someone close this!
    12-15-07 10:01 AM
    Staci already bought the 8820! Someone close this!
    Considering she started the thread yesterday, quick choice......
    12-15-07 12:32 PM
    Thanks guys! I did go with the 8820 (loving the black case, setting up the wifi today). Though it does seem slower than my curve (lots of waiting with the hourglass, even when scrolling amongst app icons). Thanks for all the advice everyone. And (shameful blush here), the black case looks great with my purse/car/briefcase -- all black with silver or chrome accents.
    12-15-07 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD