During some cleanup in my office this weekend, I found some "Monocle" magazines from about 4 years ago, and more importantly, a few "Monocle Alpino" and "Monocle Mediterranio" news publications by the same publishing house. For those unfamiliar, this is a British publication with a Canadian Editor and new staff from around the world. I find it absolutely stellar with unparalleled news and photographic coverage, but that's another story.

What this post eludes to is what I saw in them. Page after page of BlackBerry ads. Playbook, BlackBerry Porsche, Bold, and BBM ads. There was even an ad for a "Monocle Edition" BlackBerry with a quick link to "The Monocle Daily". This sparked a thought that I had forgotten. I remember at the time listening to Howard Stern touting how he loved his BlackBerry and was considering a Playbook. He just had to have those "Keys" and resisted his staff telling him to get an iPhone. That year (2009) I also remember a trip to London and Paris. The ads for BlackBerry in Airports and especially on the Tube in London were intense. You were just saturated by them.

Today? Stern has an iPhone, I don't see any ads for BlackBerry in "The Monocle", saw only 1 ad for BlackBerry while (whilst for my British friends) I was in London and Paris, and even I have dabbled with Android, iPhone and Windows Phone.

Wow. What a difference four years makes! If you would have told me how things would change with BlackBerry in four years back then, I never would have believed you.
    donmateo and eldricho like this.
    10-16-13 02:21 PM
    Amazing how times change, eh? Hopefully there will be a rebirth of BB.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    10-16-13 02:49 PM
    Actually if the PlayBook was mentioned the magazine is no more than 3 years old, since the first announcement of the PlayBook was in September 2010. But you're right, many things have changed.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    10-16-13 02:58 PM
    It just goes to show that if people give something else a chance they might end up liking it, even more so than what they currently have.

Resistance to an alternative is really just a resistance towards change.
    10-16-13 03:01 PM
    Actually if the PlayBook was mentioned the magazine is no more than 3 years old, since the first announcement of the PlayBook was in September 2010. But you're right, many things have changed.
    Yes indeed. The "Playbook" full page back cover add was in "Monocle Alpino" Fall Winter 2010 - printed in September 2010.
    The rest I have were from earlier that year, an into 2009.
    10-16-13 03:43 PM