Entry: Z5 and Q5 ($200 or less)
    Mid: Z10 and Q10 (400 or less)
    High: Z30 and Q30 (600 or less)
    Professional: Z50 and Q50 ( 800 or less)

This is an example list to spark some thought.

I believe everyone should be able to own a BlackBerry, and this is why I believe their product lineup should reflect this $$$$.

What are your thoughts?

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    Last edited by deptech; 01-27-14 at 02:28 PM.
    01-27-14 09:34 AM
    A company that is currently struggling to get devices in to the hands of consumers should NOT be expanding their product line. I believe Chen has it right by reducing options.
    Too many devices got Blackberry into trouble in the first place. Why do you think the dev's gave up on legacy? Too many versions to support.
    howarmat and JeepBB like this.
    01-27-14 10:49 AM
    BB isnt going to be churning out devices. They are scaling back so I think you will see 4 at most thru a year. The Z10, Q10 are already down to midtier and you arent going to sell a "professional" device and especially for the price point you have listed.
    01-27-14 10:59 AM
    I would like to see the Bold series name come back with a more premium feel at a higher price point with the qwerty keyboard at some point. I understand they need to gain back market share.

Although it seems if they have time to make a $2000 Porsche design they should be able to bring back a premium Bold as well.
    deptech likes this.
    01-27-14 11:04 AM
    I think a catch all device, like a slider - that straddles a number of use cases.

Prosumer, methinks!

Sent from Tapatalk
    01-27-14 11:15 AM
    A company that is currently struggling to get devices in to the hands of consumers should NOT be expanding their product line. I believe Chen has it right by reducing options.
    Too many devices got Blackberry into trouble in the first place. Why do you think the dev's gave up on legacy? Too many versions to support.
    Blackberry will soon introduce a new device, Jakarta (Z5?), which is intended to go after the emerging markets, but not limited to, this will be the first all touch entry level device from BlackBerry, a great start in my opinion.

01-27-14 12:42 PM
    BB isnt going to be churning out devices. They are scaling back so I think you will see 4 at most thru a year. The Z10, Q10 are already down to midtier and you arent going to sell a "professional" device and especially for the price point you have listed.
    Both Apple and Samsung are coming out with "Professional" devices, what would be a good price point to compete?

01-27-14 12:44 PM
    I think a catch all device, like a slider - that straddles a number of use cases.

Prosumer, methinks!

Sent from Tapatalk
    One device that is both a "all touch" and "querty", I agree, that would simply the Product line, and your not alone, this is a popular crackberry request.

01-27-14 12:49 PM
    1 top end 'professional' top quality product priced in Q10 territory (not Porsche Design territory!) and 1 high spec, mid quality, mid priced device (Q5 territory). Both with physical keyboard ...... 2 handsets total !
    Abandon the totally price sensitive, non profit-making, mass market ..... lower volume, top function/quality is the way to go & get out of the discounting spiral. Small turnover with high profit is miles better than huge turnover with zero profit
    01-27-14 01:07 PM
    The Lumia 520, I think that's the cheapo WP model, sells for $99 pre-paid at my local Walmart, also as multitude of Androids under the $99 dollar price range, BlackBerry at a $200 price range probably won't sell. Gotta be cheaper if it's the market they're going after.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-27-14 01:15 PM
    Blackberry will soon introduce a new device, Jakarta (Z5?), which is intended to go after the emerging markets, but not limited to, this will be the first all touch entry level device from BlackBerry, a great start in my opinion.

Why am I quoted in this post? What you say has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

And to elaborate,there is the jakarta coming and maybe one more. That's two devices this year. Far from the 6+ you want.
    01-27-14 01:26 PM
    Why am I quoted in this post? What you say has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

And to elaborate,there is the jakarta coming and maybe one more. That's two devices this year. Far from the 6+ you want.
    You mentioned that they shouldn't expand their product line, I just mentioned that they are doing that with the Jakarta, and that I agree with that.

01-27-14 01:33 PM
    BlackBerry needs to provide feature rich os updates and a innovative eco system along with a marketing plan that shoots out of the gate to the masses. Then and only then bring more device options but I'd rather them keep it to 4 smartphones.

Z30 type phone
    Z10 type phone
    Q10 type phone
    Slider phone that's cheap enough for the emerging markets.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    01-27-14 01:44 PM
    BlackBerry should make a super big phone, bigger than an ipad! Why? Because that's the way things are going and it would be cool to get there before Samsung inevitably does.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    01-27-14 01:48 PM
    I think that the challenge for BB is that they want to make money of hardware and the carriers want to make money of the services. Therefore, you have to have a lower price point and mid-high end for us loyal members. Just make the Z10 and Q10 decked out in current equipment.
    Carriers have lost out on revenue due to no sales. As such they are not making available shelves or sales monies for BB.
    01-27-14 01:55 PM
    What exactly would the "professional" device do differently than a "high end" device to warrant $200 more?

In my opinion the high end devices should be the top tier. They'd be able to do it all in both work and play. They'd have many high quality apps available as well as native bells and whistles. To me, a "professional" device is something that's secure and dependable but might not have a ton of bells and whistles in order to keep the price down so that corporations could deploy as many as possible for their organizations. If someone needed something more, than that's where a high end device for certain employees (or BYOD for anyone else who wishes to have that functionality) would come into play.
    01-27-14 02:11 PM
    If BlackBerry have any sense they will just focus on releasing 2 new devices in 2014:

1 x Jakarta (i.e. the Z5 of sorts)
    1 x Q30 (i.e. the BB communicator)

? Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 02:16 PM
    You mentioned that they shouldn't expand their product line, I just mentioned that they are doing that with the Jakarta, and that I agree with that.

Don't look at the jakarta as an expansion.
    It's putting a device where they need it most. The emerging market.
    You will not see an updated z10 or q10
    They will end up with a low end touch device, a high end qwerty device and MAYBE a mid range touch/qwerty device.
    The goal is around 4 devices on the go at once I believe. Not eight or more.
    We're only getting two this year as it stands, and if more were coming, we'd likely have heard rumour by now.

Your suggestions fly directly in the face of what Chen has been saying. In other words, the facts.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-27-14 02:20 PM
    What exactly would the "professional" device do differently than a "high end" device to warrant $200 more?

I was thinking larger high rez screen, more battery power (3 days), and more processing power, perhaps 64bit.

01-27-14 02:24 PM
    All I want is an offspring of Blackberry Torch 9810 running BBOS10 and my life would be complete (quite)

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 02:27 PM
    Entry: Z5 and Q5 ($200 or less)
    Mid: Z10 and Q10 (400 or less)
    High: Z30 and Q30 (600 or less)
    Professional: Z50 and Q50 ( 800 or less)

DROP the entry market. No margins. No real significant market for them until they drop BBOS devices fully worldwide. Then maybe.. q5 and z5 could be a justified market.

Drop Z10. No reason for it now.

Z30 (s x or whatever code to signify an update hardware spec)/Q30/S30 would be the ideal set.

No idea what the difference would be between a Q30 and Q50..
    01-27-14 02:27 PM
    Agree. If they came out with a slider I'd be all over it at practically any price point.

One device that is both a "all touch" and "querty", I agree, that would simply the Product line, and your not alone, this is a popular crackberry request.

01-27-14 02:30 PM
    I was thinking larger high rez screen, more battery power (3 days), and more processing power, perhaps 64bit.

But there are already devices with high res screens, high battery power, and fast processors in the $600 range on other platforms. How would this professional device from BlackBerry compete with the others? And if the professional device only had these features, then wouldn't the high end device have to have lower specs and then still be priced the same as the $600 devices on other platforms with better specs?
    01-27-14 02:31 PM
    Perhaps 1 high end touch screen and 1 low end touch screen device. Developed a couple well designed keyboard cases that are recognized when connected and change the os flow to compensate. Best of both worlds IMHO.
    01-27-14 04:03 PM
    Pies. Tasty Pies.
    deptech likes this.
    01-27-14 08:58 PM