Like you all, I was disappointed that BB10 has been delayed again, but I'm not angry, but it did make me stop and think should I jump to Android....for all of half hour, plus, I wasn't due an upgrade until 2013, but I am worried that people who are due upgrades will not want to wait any more and get tied into a new two year contract.

On a plus note, I get my iPhone 5 (or whatever they decide to call it) when it's released so I get time to see if I can cope with full touch or not as I currently HATE touchscreen keyboards

Anyway, I digress, my thoughts on what RIM could do to appease us:-

1. Bring Cascades to the Playbook - By that I mean the new version of cascades that all the app developers have been working with, give the developers a market to sell/test their apps to and let them earn from their hard work

2. Trade-In Plan - people who need a new phone, why not announce a trade-in plan? Buy a OS7 phone today and trade it in for a discounted BB10 phone. I assume that they have loads of OS7 stock they need to shift?

3. Bring out the 4G Playbook - well we know that's coming so nothing more to say

4. Release MORE OS releases for the Playbook - We kinda know they were holding back for BB10, well perhaps they should release SOME of these features to the playbook? I'm still pissed that my works exchange e-mail STILL doesn't allow me to reply to e-mails, several months after it was replicated by RIM.

They are my thoughts on the matter, what else (realistically) can they do to appease you?
    06-30-12 04:19 AM
    I like suggestion 2, the trade-in. I'd quite like a 9900, but the prices for a sim-free handset are still viciously high and the propsect of spending another small fortune a little later on doesn't exactly fill me with glee.

With the difficulty they are experiencing with cell phone BB10, I wonder if there is any mileage in releasing a version of BB10 to the PB?
    06-30-12 05:07 AM
    I doubt that Playbook figures much into anyone's thinking at RIM anymore. The focus is on BB10. It is valued to the extent that Playbook is kind of a development platform for BB10.

So, I doubt very much that RIM is concerned about keeping Playbook owners happy. In fact, I would not doubt that Playbook 2.1 development has come to a halt. RIM project managers on the Beta Zone have become very silent on this when they have not been in the past.

That said, it RIM wants to sell phones in the US in the next nine months before BB10 is released, it would be a good idea to provide some kind of upgrade path from BB7 to BB10. In this way, people could buy a 9900 today and know that they have a low cost upgrade to BB10 when it comes out.

Maybe RIM does not care and has written off the next few quarters. This may not be a crazy idea. If BB10 is good, it will sell. If not, RIM is doomed. So, why mortgage the future? RIM as we know it may be doomed anyway.
    06-30-12 06:37 AM
    A compelling OS7 to BB10 tradeup plan is the ONLY business plan that will keep RIM out of bankruptcy when they inevitably slip to calendar Q3 2013 on BB10.

I would be quite happy to have an OS7 phone right now if I could trade up later economically.
    06-30-12 07:54 AM
    A compelling OS7 to BB10 tradeup plan is the ONLY business plan that will keep RIM out of bankruptcy when they inevitably slip to calendar Q3 2013 on BB10.

I would be quite happy to have an OS7 phone right now if I could trade up later economically.
    I don't think that RIM is selling many phones in the U.S. now anyway so it may not want to throw resources at a program like this.

The truth is that I have a 9900 and I really like it. For what I use a phone for, it is better than anything else out there.
    johnmarki likes this.
    06-30-12 07:59 AM
    What could RIM do to keep us on board?

STOP SCREWING UP.
    mikeo007, johnmarki and crazeee4u like this.
    06-30-12 08:02 AM
    What if bb10 was never announced and all you had was os7 on a sweet bold 99xx. Hmm doesn't seem so bad now. Does it
    06-30-12 08:09 AM
    I doubt that Playbook figures much into anyone's thinking at RIM anymore. The focus is on BB10. It is valued to the extent that Playbook is kind of a development platform for BB10.
    Didn't make myself clear. I meant a version of BB10 to PB as a development tool - a beta before the real release. Clearly it couldn't be the whole mobile telephone version, as a PB is not a phone, but it would give them an opportunity to get BB10 OS onto lots of machines and be thoroughly tested.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 08:35 AM
    Keep charging ahead with the playbook and work-out a deal with carriers to let BB users trade-in OS7 phones for BB10, with a device upgrade fee that is 'do-able'
    Sucroid likes this.
    06-30-12 11:16 AM
    Just make the best phone out there.
    06-30-12 11:40 AM
    What if bb10 was never announced and all you had was os7 on a sweet bold 99xx. Hmm doesn't seem so bad now. Does it
    You're kidding, right?

So people are supposed to be happy with an outdated phone with an outdated OS because RIM wasn't going to get with the times?

There'd be a bigger mass exodus already from RIM because there'd be no indication of RIM trying catching up to it's competitors.

Either way, RIM can't play with the big boys and consumers are voting with their wallets.
    06-30-12 11:52 AM

I would think that if they don't offer a tradeup plan for new buyers of OS 7 phones now, that will indicate that either:

1) they really have no idea at this point if Q1 2013 is actually acheivable either
    2) management expects the company to be sold/merged/partnered with somebody else before the end of the year
    06-30-12 12:25 PM
    To answer the query that is the title of this thread:

Build a time machine simultaneously while working on BB10, and when both are done, go back to 2010 and release BB10 instead of OS 6.
    06-30-12 01:46 PM
    I'm staying with RIM.

Posted from my Crackberry @ wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-12 10:39 PM
    Sure, as long as android and iOS don't exist.
    07-01-12 09:30 AM
    Give anyone that owns stock in the company the first opportunity at BB10 special edition phones. Have prelease parties for stockholders around the world. The next tier BB10 sales should go to Playbook early adopters followed by BBB 9900 early adopters. Make the public jealous of the select people with BB10 phones.
    07-01-12 09:40 AM
    From another thread.
    Want to add keep updating my pb to the path and don't make us wait for whatever. Also better communication like instead of having "servers down" threads all over if they are doing something that may or may not cause service interruptions send out an advanced heads up to people in that area that they may experience interruptions instead of all of a sudden my phone doesn't work, why?
    I have current products from them. They first need to offer a BB10 device that is OS feature and function complete with minimal bugs (we know they all have bugs). Myself I don't care a whole lot about apps but many do.

I also want to see them make some deadlines and "do" as they say blackberry people do.

Would also help if they offered something to entice people who are either mad or fed up with delays like a real cheap upgrade to BB10 if it ever does come out.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-01-12 09:41 AM
    They need to be very transparent about where they are with the OS. Maybe a weekly or biweekly(every two weeks) blog post about what they've been working on specifically, any new updates they've made, or even if they're just chugging along on whatever they're working on.

Gives us sneak peeks at any features they can.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-01-12 10:47 AM
    release BB1O, that's what they should do.
    07-01-12 10:58 AM
    They released the beta version of the Playbook 2.1 OS to developers. I assume that is why.
    I couldn't figure out why they recently released it if the new BB10 was coming out in the fall but now it makes sense.
    07-02-12 08:24 AM
    I think they should release the new phones in the fall either with the old OS or a stripped down version of the new OS with a promise to let the owners upgrade for free when the new OS is complete or as new features become available.
    This will give the loyal BB owners a possible way of staying loyal to RIM.
    Don't let all of the negative press control your business plan.
    You won't be able to sell phones in NA before the BB10 release unless you have the new hardware out there. These are two possible solutions.
    07-02-12 08:35 AM
    Give me some names of software companies who are currently working on BB10 apps or want so support BB10. Are there only students and hobby developer who are grabbing dev-alphas at BB10Jam? Who else is on board and believes BB10 will be successful? Is Amazon on board with a kindle app? Or finally Skype? Ore are they saying "No Thanks"?
    I started to make apps for the Playbook when i saw the promo-videos with all the nice app-icons from the big labels. I thought they are already on board. It was fake. It was a lie. And i was stupid.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-02-12 08:38 AM
    I've BEEN on board and will STAY on board. This dude is here for BlackBerry 10.
    Delays suck, but hey, that's life.

Still want to pre-order my shiny new BlackBerry 10 device. Gimme gimme.
    07-02-12 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD