02-12-13 10:15 AM
    Interesting. He alluded to missing price components like manufacturing and R&D. BlackBerry can't get the big head like they did with the PlayBook though. Apple you are paying a premium for the name and BlackBerry needs to build back their name.
    02-12-13 10:37 AM
    At work, can someone just post an estimated $? Also, I hate CNN.
    travaz likes this.
    02-12-13 11:41 AM
    At work, can someone just post an estimated $? Also, I hate CNN.
    $154 For everything

Display and Glass cover - $26.50
    Qualacomm Processor - $23.50
    2 Cameras - $15.00
    16GB Storage - $9.00
    Battery, Communication Chips and Ram - $21.00
    Casing and Small Electronics - $59.00
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    02-12-13 11:48 AM
    damn BB is making so much money per Z10 sold each time!!!
    02-12-13 11:48 AM
    Damn BB ? Have you not seen how much apple makes per iPhone ?
    02-12-13 11:53 AM
    If you knew how much the actual material costs for your home are vs what you paid for it, you'd think the Z10 was a steal.
    02-12-13 11:59 AM
    The actual COGS figure that makes it into the financials is likely to be quite a bit higher than that though.

I believe Apple's COGS were about $90 per unit higher than their material costs. That's due to transport, storage, testing, carrier marketing, etc... BlackBerry also has lower scales of economy and probably higher carrier marketing expenditures than Apple too.
    02-12-13 12:07 PM
    Damn BB ? Have you not seen how much apple makes per iPhone ?
    you totally read that the wrong way lol
    paolomusic likes this.
    02-12-13 12:09 PM
    damn BB is making so much money per Z10 sold each time!!!
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. How much does the retailer make? And let's not forget the fixed costs, such as the 5K+ man-years it took to make the darn thing, and endless BB Jam sessions... They had to pay for QNX, Paratek Microwave, lawyers, etc, etc.. BB probably has to sell millions of phones before they see any profit. Let's not forget that phone desirability is ephemeral -- there is new competition (the SG4) starting mid March.
    02-12-13 12:09 PM
    Personally I think it cost them closer to $200 because BB can't get the better deals on volume simply because they're not able to order enough ahead of time to get the best deal.

For instance, check this out: McBub: Low-Priced , USD 146.99, ICOO ICOU7GT 7 inch Android 4.1 Quad Core Tablet PC Allwinner A31 2GB RAM 8GB IPS 1280*800

It's lacking radio, Bluetooth and GPS and 8GB internal RAM, but all that might only add another $50 tops. Other than that, the CPU/GPU, RAM speed and screen resolution in this tablet are actually better than the Z10's. And that's with a 7" screen, not the smaller Z10's. Also this tab can supposedly output 4K(4096 x 2160 px) from the HDMI port.

*BB has higher resolution/better cameras. If that's a plus I don't know, considering most peeps regard the Z10 cameras to be garbage.

So yeah, BB is making a killing on the Z10.
    Last edited by BennyX; 02-12-13 at 12:28 PM.
    02-12-13 12:15 PM
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. How much does the retailer make? And let's not forget the fixed costs, such as the 5K+ man-years it took to make the darn thing, and endless BB Jam sessions... They had to pay for QNX, Paratek Microwave, lawyers, etc, etc.. BB probably has to sell millions of phones before they see any profit. Let's not forget that phone desirability is ephemeral -- there is new competition (the SG4) starting mid March.
    you read it the wrong way too!
    02-12-13 12:18 PM
    I wouldn't say the SG4 is even in the same category.. Samsung's not worried one bit about 'competing' with BB. There is no competition.
    02-12-13 12:21 PM
    Lets not forget Marketing, shipping, R&D, Warranty, DOA, support, packaging, and on and on.
    02-12-13 01:15 PM
    This aint news companys make gains of hardware but not as much as yo think well not all the time.You ignore partnership,content paying,licensing deals,marketing,production,paying for apps,import export tax,carrier negotiation and all sorts.It aint as easy as put parts together and sell for $$$$$ its deeper than that.
    02-12-13 01:54 PM
    I'm sure they DO make it higher. But blackberry buys in bulk. Even it its 250k or a million. It's better than not buying in bulk. So let's agree to say 120-130. And I hope none of you are those needs that actually believe that crap about how much they batman cycle costs. Geez was that movie a polished turd... That whole series. My opinion tho.
    02-12-13 02:03 PM
    I have worked in the electronic manufacturing industry for over 25 years. The $154 is only an estimated price. It doesn't include manufacturing costs which in themselves would also contain costs in setting up manufacturing lines, tooling, etc.etc.
    Most contract manufacturers also will mark up component costs anywhere from 6% -100% depending on what is negotiated.
    Volume pricing can also be achieved at what consumer volumes consider to be low. Pricing is usually broken down into 10k, 100k, and 1M volumes. Anything over that and percentage drops in pricing are minimal.
    One area where they may be paying higher for are the components manufactured by Samsung due to them also being a competitor. I believe that blackberry may be getting better pricing now since I believe that is why they no longer use Celestica.
    Zarpan likes this.
    02-12-13 02:39 PM
    These costs are by far not accurate at all...!!!
    There is a lot more involved.

Just to mention, in that list there are no references to the part manufactures and part numbers. On top of that there is the years of R&D, plus the legal work, assembly, marketing, support staff, marketing, distribution, and infrastructure behind the complete operation behind the product.
    02-12-13 05:19 PM