Should there be a Blackberry Netbook? I was in the market for a netbook and was not pleased with what I came across. Either the build was sub-par or the netbook's performance was questionable.
    Since RIM does it so well, would they ever build a netbook? Or a hybrid of some sort.
    09-17-09 10:43 PM
    Build a better BlackBerry is best, the netbook market is saturated by the big players.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 11:08 PM
    Build a better BlackBerry is best, the netbook market is saturated by the big players.

True but Blackberry could revolutionize the PC world like they have done with the smart phone market, I still have my 7290 and I love it. A BB Netbook would be smart I think.
    09-18-09 12:07 AM
    There was a thread/story on the home page not too long ago about a small monitor/keyboard that looks like a netbook, that you plug into your BB and it gives you the bigger screen and keyboard.

Let me see if I can find it.......
    09-18-09 06:58 AM
    Here it is.....Redfly

http://crackberry.com/first-look-cel...oming-early-q4

Here's some cool news for the hardcore BlackBerry users and enterprise travellers out there. The folks at Celio Corp have hooked us up with an exclusive video first look at their BlackBerry driver support for the REDFLY Mobile Companion. If you haven't heard of the Celio REDFLY before, it's essentially a dummy monitor/keyboard for your smartphone that allows for an improved typing and viewing experience. Previously the REDFLY has been available to Windows Mobile-powered devices.
    09-18-09 07:01 AM
    They can't make a phone that works so maybe they should focus on that...
    Referring to 9530/9630.
    09-18-09 08:21 AM
    Who says BB has good build quality more like DECENT build quality.
    09-18-09 09:03 AM
    I remember seeing that and its nice, it starts from $199 or so for smartphones not sure how much BB's would retail for when it launches.
    09-18-09 10:49 AM
    They should focus on a new OS

09-18-09 11:08 AM
    I honestly dont think that RIM should get in the Netbook world.

First off, their OS isn't installable on other hardware. They can barely manage to get their OS working perfectly on their handhelds, let alone them install it on a Netbook.

The last thing I want is a Netbook to just up and reboot on me. Or freeze, or tell me my media card is corrupted, or run very slow due to lack of optimized drivers..

A Blackberry OS on a Netbook, to me would feel like Windows Mobile 5.. or Windows ME.. It'd give RIM a hugely bad reputation in the process.
    09-18-09 11:23 AM
    I think it would be nice to have an app on a NetBook where you could see and operate the BB screen (like Redfly), but they don't need to make a Netbook-sized device. Just have something that controls your current BB.
    09-18-09 05:32 PM
    I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

First thing I would do is hit up all my important sites and configure them properly with a screen keyboard I could really see.

Second, data entry. Yes I can do this with outllook and sync, but why bother if I can use this in my car or whatever. No tethering headaches either.

I only have a hundred or so contacts, but to be able to edit them etc with a real keyboard & screen while away from my laptops or desktops would be a real bonus.

It seems a little pricey (for $25.00 in hardware) but price should drop quickly.

EDIT: Well, wont work with my 8830 so another reason to get the Onyx ;-)

Pete
    Last edited by PeterD; 09-18-09 at 05:50 PM. Reason: No support
    09-18-09 05:48 PM
    According to BBOS, RIM is working on a netbook.

"It will be powered by an Intel Processor, 2 GB RAM and 120 GB hard drive. In essence, a basic machine suitable for daily mobile computing and more. Some other hardware specs include 10-inch LCD display, ethernet port, USB, SD medial slot and a DVDRW disk drive. It will be equipped with an internal 3G module that will supports a certain unnamed CDMA network for seamless connectivity as well as a SIM card slot."

I know it is far fetched, but I hope some light could be shed on it.
    10-02-09 12:04 PM
    I would not mind a BlackBerry netbook, I would probably buy it eventually.
    10-02-09 01:44 PM
    I can see it now.. leaked OS, after leaked OS, after leaked OS, all beta's.. everyone continually installing these leaked beta's so that their netbook functions properly.

One OS updates breaks the imbeded camera, another leaked beta fixes it but breaks something else..

Sound familiar? THATS BECAUSE WE CURRENTLY DEAL WITH IT ON THEIR HANDHELDS.

RIM should absolutely not get into the Netbook market..
    10-02-09 02:01 PM
    I would cry if I saw the BB browser on a netbook.
    10-02-09 02:11 PM
    I'll just say, bad idea, and be done with it. I agree with most of the other posters before me... Let them first get back to working on a better phone. Some of the junk that has come out recently leaves me less than bedazzled...
    10-02-09 02:59 PM
    Would not a BB netbook defeat the whole portability aspect of the
    BB. Also, I am in the camp that wishes RIM would stop retreading
    old devices and update this tired, stale as two week old bread OS.
    10-02-09 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD