Okay, my ISP Optus (Australia) no longer supports BB!! (What, my goodness )

I'm still using 0S7 on a 9700 and now have to change ISP's (to Telstra, which I don't want to do!) or work out another way I can access BB. I still want to use BB Protect and Password Manager etc etc.

The deal I've been transferred onto now is 1GB Optus data and no BIS data.

Help, what do I do?

Edit
    When I spoke with Telstra reps today to try and understand if they were going to continue to support BB, they said that they didn't think they were for much longer, and maintained that BB was being sold off and that the BB OS would no longer be available. Quite frankly I don't believe that!
    06-15-15 04:07 AM
    None of us on BB10 have BIS. Life as usual. BB is not going to discontinue the OS either....just more of the ignorant telling you stories.
    06-15-15 05:33 AM
    Network Carriers don't have a clue what day it is, let alone what's going on in the world. BlackBerry isn't getting sold off.

If your Network has put you on a new plan without BIS, I suggest you cancel that plan, unless they activate your BIS, if they don't, then as long as your device is unlocked, you can move to another Network, that supplies BIS. Or you could try upgrading to a unlocked BlackBerry10 device, which uses the same data as all other smartphones.

Even in the UK, most Network Carriers haven't sold BlackBerry smartphones since Z10 & Q10 but still offer BIS for the older OS legacy devices.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    06-15-15 05:46 AM
    BBOS phones require BIS (or BES), but BB10 phones do not.

BBOS phones were EOL (end of life) as of about a year ago when the last BBOS developers and engineers were either laid off or reassigned. Carriers are beginning to discontinue support for BIS once their subscriber numbers fall below a certain threshold, and it sounds like Optus reached that point already. Expect more of the same on other carriers in the near future.

At some point, you're going to have to move on, either to a BB10 device or to a completing OS, as BBOS's future is limited.
    06-15-15 02:54 PM
    No time like the present then to switch to BlackBerry 10! I say grab a cheap Z30 and enjoy what your carrier offers.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 04:15 PM
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

You've given me perspective about what's going on. I've had a BB since 2008 and I don't intend on not having a BB!! Unfortunately I can't afford a new Classic at the moment, but that's the phone I want.

Trouble is - how do I use my current OS7 using BIS when the carrier doesn't support BIS. Is there a way around it - directing the carrier's data to look at BIS somehow? Or what ......

Also, anyone know how to get my Passwords out of Password Keeper - that is copied out?
    06-15-15 04:53 PM
    How about paying for BES Cloud?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 04:57 PM
    Umm I don't know anything about BES cloud, but I'm the sole user of the phone - so how would it work?
    06-15-15 05:01 PM
    Can't you just log into pw keeper and write them down and reenter them in your newer phone? If I back my phone up on link it saves my passwords. Soon as you load new data to new phone you get your pw back. I've not used a BlackBerry other than os 10 so I guess I might not know what I'm talking about

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 05:02 PM
    Can't you just log into pw keeper and write them down and reenter them in your newer phone? If I back my phone up on link it saves my passwords. Soon as you load new data to new phone you get your pw back. I've not used a BlackBerry other than os 10 so I guess I might not know what I'm talking about

Posted via CB10
    Oh yep, I can write out all my passwords (over 100), but I was hoping that there was now a way to capture the data somehow. They're all saved via BB Protect, but they can't be 'released' from there except onto a BB. I want to try and dump them into any program I can, either in CSV format or just into Word or whatever.
    06-15-15 05:05 PM
    None of us on BB10 have BIS. Life as usual. BB is not going to discontinue the OS either....just more of the ignorant telling you stories.
    But with out BIS or BES we can't separate the work account and personal account.. is it right??

 Z3 STJ100-1 ~10.3.1.2576 ~
    06-15-15 05:09 PM
    Also, I'm a tad confused - now that BB10 doesn't use BIS but rather uses network data, do the BB features work, like BB Protect and Appworld and Travel etc? How is the connection made back to RIM, so to speak?

Does BB10 use a BB OS of some description so that the phone still looks and acts like a Blackberry? If that sounds like a dumb question then sorry, but I feel quite 'lost' about all this .....
    06-15-15 05:10 PM
    Umm I don't know anything about BES cloud, but I'm the sole user of the phone - so how would it work?
    I would expect a simple web interface, payment process and off you go.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 06:00 PM
    But with out BIS or BES we can't separate the work account and personal account.. is it right??
    What you're describing is the feature called "Balance", which is an optional feature of BES 10/12 (and has nothing to do with BIS, which isn't used at all on BB10). But if you aren't using a corporate-locked-down BB10 phone, then there is no point in having Balance, as all it does is create a non-locked-down partition separate from the locked-down corporate partition. As the owner and sole user of your phone, why would you want part of your own phone locked down from yourself in the first place? With a non-BES phone, the whole phone is the "user side".
    06-15-15 06:20 PM
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

You've given me perspective about what's going on. I've had a BB since 2008 and I don't intend on not having a BB!! Unfortunately I can't afford a new Classic at the moment, but that's the phone I want.

Trouble is - how do I use my current OS7 using BIS when the carrier doesn't support BIS. Is there a way around it - directing the carrier's data to look at BIS somehow? Or what ......

Also, anyone know how to get my Passwords out of Password Keeper - that is copied out?
    You can open the one you want to see, and tap the little "eye" icon to show it. Then copy to clipboard (option) or take a screenshot...

:-D

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-16-15 04:13 AM
    It's time to upgrade to a BB10 phone and it's also time to educate the Telstra employees that the latest BB10 phones don't require ISP anymore. Just activate the latest BlackBerry phones with any regular data plan.
    06-16-15 04:24 AM
    It's time to upgrade to a BB10 phone and it's also time to educate the Telstra employees that the latest BB10 phones don't require ISP anymore. Just activate the latest BlackBerry phones with any regular data plan.
    What i don't know though is how do I now (or people with a BB10) get to access BB Protect and BB Travel, and App World etc. How does Blackberry know that I have one of their phones? Is there an url I need to use to access all the BB features from the web site, or how does it happen?
    06-16-15 04:28 AM
    BB10 is an open ISP going the same way as iOS, Android and Windows. It no longer requires BlackBerry to managing your data like what BIS and BES did. BB10 will allow you to access the open Web now.

Like I mentioned, you just need any regular data plan and don't believe what the store guys tell you because they are wrong.

You just need one ID login (BBID) now to use BB Protect, Travel and App World on BB10 phones.

What i don't know though is how do I now (or people with a BB10) get to access BB Protect and BB Travel, and App World etc. How does Blackberry know that I have one of their phones? Is there an url I need to use to access all the BB features from the web site, or how does it happen?
    06-16-15 04:36 AM
    When you get a BB10 phone, you can restore Password Keeper data to the new phone. Then there is an Export feature in Password Keeper.

I'm not positive, but the Export feature might also be in the latest Password Keeper on BBOS7.
    06-16-15 01:21 PM
    There is also an app called device switch that is supposed to help with what you are wanting to do

Posted via CB10
    07-04-15 07:17 PM
    When you set up a BB10, it will ask for your BBID and password. That's how BlackBerry knows you have one of their phones.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    07-04-15 09:37 PM