After seeing this quote by guerllamo7 from another thread:

I'm fascinated to know what these might be. Can anyone enlighten me, as I constantly have this BB bashing to contend with? Thought it an interesting enough subject to highlight it, rather than lose it at the bottom of another thread.
    Keep a Secret!
    05-23-12 05:37 AM
    have u tried whatsapp ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    No, and I likely won't. Because that's another few months of convincing my friends and family to download another messenger, yet again.

That includes my 58 year old parents who are used to Live Profile FINALLY.
    05-23-12 05:40 AM
    No, and I likely won't. Because that's another few months of convincing my friends and family to download another messenger, yet again.

That includes my 58 year old parents who are used to Live Profile FINALLY.

LMAO

05-23-12 05:49 AM
    now i am depressed.. you have twice as many friends as me

I don't know those 55 million BBM users so it makes no difference to me. It's about who I know using BBM. And that's 2 people. That's what counts.
    05-23-12 08:04 AM
    LOL!
    I'm talking up BlackBerry 10 bog time in hope of converting everyone I talk to to switch to BBM!

Mhwuhahahah
    05-23-12 08:31 AM
    BlackBerry Bridge and BBM.
    05-23-12 08:34 AM
    BBM...

05-23-12 08:47 AM
    I can't speak for everyone, but below are (some of) the reasons I choose BB...and also what I wish my BB did:
    {NOTE: I do NOT know if iphone or android allow some of these functions, I'm just going by what my phone does}
    Also, not a complete list, just what I can think of at the moment.

First and foremost, I chose a BB for its security, not for media/game playing abilities, as it was chosen as a work phone (android wasn't really an option, it was either BB or iphone). Also, to respond to the person who had suggested a multimillion dollar company would not use iphones/androids---I work for a multimillion dollar, nationwide company and we support BB/iPhone/Android, although our top executive boardmembers all use either a BB or iPhone.

Pros (not in any order):

1. (Customizable) LED alert--I know who/what/etc each alert is for, and whether it's absolutely necessary to answer. Many may say this isn't needed, as most people are by their phones all day. True, mine is usually on my desk or near me; however, since I have many meetings all day long, I usually keep my phone on silent or vibrate, (so alert noises do not disrupt meetings) and one glance lets me know (without a message "pop-up" displaying my business to everyone) if I need to respond to the alert or not.

2. BES & its features. I have 2 email accts on my phone--personal (IMAP) and work (BES--exchange). While I have "push" email, when I had both connected through BIS-only, delivery/send/etc was always reliable, but, depending on my IMAP and exchange servers, there was sometimes a delay in receiving emails on my phone (nothing major, longest was about 15 min). I recently switched to BESx for work and am IN LOVE with all the BES features [my exchange mailbox and all folders, instantaneous (cordless) syncing with both my desktop/web-based exchange for mail, contacts, calendar, the ability to view remote contacts (we have over 1000 at my work, so I do not plan on downloading everyone's information to my phone, but it's nice to be able to view it on my phone, when needed), and the aforementioned ability to schedule meetings with various individuals and have access to our mutual availabilities instantly].

3. The availability of different calendars and the fact that my BB alerts me the instant there are conflicts with any scheduling.

4. Physical keyboard. (I had the storm (was my first BB and I was happy with it, at the time), then upgraded to the Torch (9800)--can say I use the on-screen touch keyboard less than 1% of the time I use the phone. In fact, I'm so used to the physical keyboard, I find it almost hard to use the on-screen keyboard on my playbook).

5. BB Travel (life-saver--I travel often, so it helps to not have to manually enter my details with each new travel plan).

6. BB conference calling. (as aforementioned)

7. BB Protect (when I was on BIS... now, on BES, can't use it anymore, but many functions can be used from BES IT services and I try and back up with DM at least once a month, so I'm not too worried).

8. SD card (removable memory). May not matter to some, it matters to me.

9. The ability to have my alarm ring only on weekdays. (I know iphones can have multiple alarms, but a friend of mine with one said that he's not able to have his ring only on weekdays and has to keep resetting it on the weekend. This is native apps, i'm not including any downloadable apps for either).

10. Bridge to Playbook, giving me essentially a wireless tablet when I am without a wi-fi connecction, without a separate wireless plan for my tablet. ( I didn't realize how great the connection was, until someone, to whom I'd loaned my storm while she was having her android repaired, had paired it with her playbook while out and video chatted with me, claiming it was as good as the wi-fi video chat). Added in this is the secure bridge messages/contacts/etc, so my data is NOT left on my playbook if I walk away from it with my phone.

11. BBM and its reliability. Whatsapp (or, in our circles, it's commonly called whatscrapp) has a tendency to flake out and freeze up on iphones (trying to send me msgs, while my end is working fine) or it will occasionally "forget" to tell me I have new messages until a day or two later. Not quite "instant." I didn't like Liveprofile (not many on it), no one on XMS, only afew people on viber. I usually use either BBM or regular SMS to communicate with people.

12. All the lovely customizable media/extra keys, in addition to keyboard shortcuts.

and, some things I wish my BB did or issues I have had with it:

1. I know in OS7, I think they have this (I'm 9800, OS6), but the ability to create a wi-fi hotspot wowould have been great. (I know iphone can do this, do not know about android)

2. Not sure what's going on, but I've had a very strong battery drain and am also occasionally getting the spinning clock ever since going on BES. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, or purely coincidental (I've only been on BES about a week). The lag/spinning clock seems to have sorted itself out, for the most part, but I am still having much more battery drain than normal.

3. The ability to quickly close apps without going to them and selecting "close/exit" (for the ones that do not automatically close when the back key is pressed). I don't know if it's built into iphone or if it's an app/theme, but i've seen where they can have the icon for open apps bouncing at the bottom and they just quickly drag up to close them (like how you can quickly drag up on the playbook towards the clock from minimized apps to close).

4. I also wish the fluidity/usability of apps matched that in (from my experience/what i've seen) the iphone. I've seen apps with increased abilities on the iphone (and android) and very limited abilities on BBs. (for example, you can voip with viber on both iphone and android, but only msg on BB) Granted, this is more do to the differences in programming languages and probably the number of people who can easily program in one vs. the other, but it would be nice if the same apps gave the same experience. Also, I DON'T CARE about games, so we can forget that, but if the accessibility were available and equal for the same apps on all platforms (like skype, viber, etc), that would be phenomenal.
    06-04-12 03:08 PM
358 ... 131415
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD