This still alleviates any concerns people may have with the brand for the next few years. It's a huge vote of confidence, and a shot of stability. It's not just about the dollars, but about where those dollars specifically came from.
    Normal times, I’d agree but with COVID-19 times I’m not sure what this means.

This feels more like BlackBerry 2012 too much as Fairfax was buying more shares before the BB10 fail then attempted sale and Fairfax rescue

https://venturebeat.com/2020/08/11/g...er-hmd-global/
    08-12-20 09:32 AM
    Normal times, I’d agree but with COVID-19 times I’m not sure what this means.

https://www.google.com/search?q=noki...iw=414&bih=715

This feels more like BlackBerry 2012 too much
    I suspect Google knows a lot more than we do as to what is happening in the background in the world of Android OEMs. The boot, they pretty much own statistics.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-12-20 09:38 AM
    I suspect Google knows a lot more than we do as to what is happening in the background in the world of Android OEMs. The boot, they pretty much own statistics.
    I get that. This smacks of small lifeline money though. Google spends more on companies it forgets that it owns.

I’m reading this as some additional pony up from Nokia and Google with the PE and VC just putting in to maintain ownership percentages.

As I said, I’m really confused. If really their beliefs, I’d expect a capital raise of at least 10X the money just to go next level as they’re implying.
    08-12-20 09:47 AM
    I get that. This smacks of small lifeline money though. Google spends more on companies it forgets that it owns.

I’m reading this as some additional pony up from Nokia and Google with the PE and VC just putting in to maintain ownership percentages.

As I said, I’m really confused. If really their beliefs, I’d expect a capital raise of at least 10X the money just to go next level as they’re implying.
    There can be far bigger investments by means of reduced prices for updates and SoCs that we may not be aware of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    08-12-20 10:01 AM
    I agree... If Qualcomm works to allow Nokia early access to new chipsets or special pricing... that would go a long way.

Nokia is pretty much THE Android One program... other than Moto did one and I think Xiaomi has a couple.

If Nokia goes Qualcomm exclusive, and Google does all the heavy lifting with the software/hardware updating and patching.... and ups the Android One program to maybe three years of updates and total of four for patches (matching Samsung). That would be worth more than a few million in support dollars.

Still critical that they get in with US Carrier as something more than an entry level option.

My guess... Google already knows who is planning on leaving the smartphone business. The only other non-Chinese players other than Samsung - Sony and LG. If Nokia goes... that leaves Google and Qualcomm dealing with Samsung and the three Giants in China (one of whom they already have issue with). China fires back.... and both Google and Qualcomm could be the ones to suffer.

Leaving them with Samsung.... But the relation between Qualcomm and Samsung is complicated, and ever changing with the move to 5G and Samsung capable of their own chipsets. (And everyone getting tired of Apple and their Bionic chips that wipe the floor with anything Qualcomm comes up with) . Was it just 3G modems that kept Samsung from using their chips in the USA?

Samsung would also love to wrest more control from Google. I doubt TIZEN is much of an option still, and I don't think they'd risk dropping the Google Play for their own tiny apps store by going ASOP. But Google isn't as in control of Samsung as they'd like. If Nokia, Sony and LG were all gone... and China played hardball. Not sure Samsung is going to be the friend that Google might like them to be.

But 100%... this make buying a Nokia today, much safer than it was a month ago.
    Article yesterday noted Samsung, ARM and AMD are collaborating on the next gen of SOC that is to truly rival the Qualcomm 875.

Don't think for one second Samsung does not want the SOC autonomy that Apple enjoys AND greater control of updates and timeframes for doing so. (And reduced licensing costs- how has Qualcomm NOT been discussed as monopolistic?)

It's hammer down time for Samsung from what I have been reading as they are honestly (carrier wise here in US) the only true competitor to Apple. Samsung is listening to customers and increasing their support window and offering various price points. They have no choice.

As Motorola gets squeezed out of carriers more and more I kinda think it's a pipe dream to think Nokia could now make inroads but as noted it would take much much more to do so.
    08-12-20 10:17 AM
    Article yesterday noted Samsung, ARM and AMD are collaborating on the next gen of SOC that is to truly rival the Qualcomm 875.

Don't think for one second Samsung does not want the SOC autonomy that Apple enjoys AND greater control of updates and timeframes for doing so. (And reduced licensing costs- how has Qualcomm NOT been discussed as monopolistic?)

It's hammer down time for Samsung from what I have been reading as they are honestly (carrier wise here in US) the only true competitor to Apple. Samsung is listening to customers and increasing their support window and offering various price points. They have no choice.

As Motorola gets squeezed out of carriers more and more I kinda think it's a pipe dream to think Nokia could now make inroads but as noted it would take much much more to do so.
    I only worry about one device at a time. The short-term stability offered to Nokia makes my next device from them a slam dunk.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    08-12-20 10:53 AM
    "This will include building new offerings, such as remote device locking, cybersecurity, enterprise mobility management, and — in the future — imaging and audio technologies."

Might have found a company that could use some of what BlackBerry has.... if they cold get FairFax right on the prices for those parts.
    08-12-20 11:19 AM
    https://www.gsmarena.com/google_and_...news-44703.php

Google and Qualcomm invest big in HMD Global, "the home of Nokia phones"

...with all the fuss around the US government's ban on Huawei, Google is looking to propel a new smartphone maker into the top smartphone OEMs.

This is very interesting, reminds me of the original Nokia + Microsoft situation of the 2010s, I hope it does not leave other OEMs feeling left out, or end in tears for Nokia again.

On the other hand Samsung is growing closer and closer to Microsoft lol, interesting times.
    08-12-20 11:53 AM
    I only worry about one device at a time. The short-term stability offered to Nokia makes my next device from them a slam dunk.
    That's mostly because you avoid the mainstream players and tend to pick losers that aren't around for more than a few years....

Maybe Qualcomm and Google just wants an in on Nokia's strong feature phone business? Might have nothing to do with propping up their fading smartphone business? Till they say more... I wouldn't count on it meaning what you hope it means.
    08-12-20 11:54 AM
    That's mostly because you avoid the mainstream players and tend to pick losers that aren't around for more than a few years....

Maybe Qualcomm and Google just wants an in on Nokia's strong feature phone business? Might have nothing to do with propping up their fading smartphone business? Till they say more... I wouldn't count on it meaning what you hope it means.
    This can be only good news for HMD Global. Things were decent yesterday, and they are better today.
    08-12-20 11:56 AM
    I agree... If Qualcomm works to allow Nokia early access to new chipsets or special pricing... that would go a long way.

Nokia is pretty much THE Android One program... other than Moto did one and I think Xiaomi has a couple.

If Nokia goes Qualcomm exclusive, and Google does all the heavy lifting with the software/hardware updating and patching.... and ups the Android One program to maybe three years of updates and total of four for patches (matching Samsung). That would be worth more than a few million in support dollars.

Still critical that they get in with US Carrier as something more than an entry level option.

My guess... Google already knows who is planning on leaving the smartphone business. The only other non-Chinese players other than Samsung - Sony and LG. If Nokia goes... that leaves Google and Qualcomm dealing with Samsung and the three Giants in China (one of whom they already have issue with). China fires back.... and both Google and Qualcomm could be the ones to suffer.

Leaving them with Samsung.... But the relation between Qualcomm and Samsung is complicated, and ever changing with the move to 5G and Samsung capable of their own chipsets. (And everyone getting tired of Apple and their Bionic chips that wipe the floor with anything Qualcomm comes up with) . Was it just 3G modems that kept Samsung from using their chips in the USA?

Samsung would also love to wrest more control from Google. I doubt TIZEN is much of an option still, and I don't think they'd risk dropping the Google Play for their own tiny apps store by going ASOP. But Google isn't as in control of Samsung as they'd like. If Nokia, Sony and LG were all gone... and China played hardball. Not sure Samsung is going to be the friend that Google might like them to be.

But 100%... this make buying a Nokia today, much safer than it was a month ago.
    Here’s the kicker, Samsung are falling more and more in bed with Microsoft, Microsoft has their own Android strategy going and they want to combine it with Samsung hardware in projects like DeX and enterprise solutions.

But wait, there’s more...

Outside of its hardware announcements, one of the bigger takeaways from yesterday’s Samsung event was its ever-closer relationship with Microsoft. The two companies are partnering together on everything from mobile gaming bundles, to optimizing their apps and integrating their software. They even announced that you’ll soon be able to use and control multiple apps from your Samsung phone directly on your Windows 10 PC, as well as use your Samsung tablet as a secondary display.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21...-xcloud-gaming

Google are INCREDIBLY nervous I’m sure, hence we see moves like this with Nokia. I don’t even know what Sony and LG are doing, both seem to be scaling back a little, Sony has never had a great presence with their phones in NA, and it seems LG are just not that interested anymore.

Let’s be honest, Samsung and Google have not had the friendliest relationship, not since the Galaxy Note3 and Galaxy Note Pro 12 tablets that came with Magazine UX, their relationship took a severe knock around that time and has not recovered much. Samsung want their own ecosystem they don’t want to be just Googles hardware maker.

I have my doubts about this Google + Qualcomm injection into HMD, but I don’t think Google had much choice left.

Let’s just hope this doesn’t go the way of their acquisitions in Motorola and HTC went, I’m still really confused about what exactly went down with both of those, seemed pretty hard to screw up.....they did it twice, WTF.
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 08-12-20 at 12:42 PM.
    08-12-20 12:07 PM
    I will just continue to use all of my devices until they cease to power on at all - even after putting an aftermarket internal battery inside as a last-resort.

I'm doing the environment a favour by not creating excess electronic waste. You should too.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    08-12-20 05:57 PM
    I'm doing the environment a favour by not creating excess electronic waste. You should too.
    Even if it means putting my clients' security at risk leaving me open to litigation?
    08-12-20 08:03 PM
    Even if it means putting my clients' security at risk leaving me open to litigation?
    No, not that kind of risk. Personal devices are different. I witnessed a few carrying real old devices for personal use (to get away from the addiction, as one said) and business? An android or apple device.

Rooting (if alternatives exist for said devices, and the device CAN be rooted) allows keeping it up to date with the latest revision of android, or the AOSP (if it's compatible), regardless how "old" the device is.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-12-20 08:13 PM
    Let’s just hope this doesn’t go the way of their acquisitions in Motorola and HTC went, I’m still really confused about what exactly went down with both of those, seemed pretty hard to screw up.....they did it twice, WTF.
    Google didn't buy Moto because it wanted to be a smartphone manufacturer - it wanted Moto's mobile patents to protect Android and force other companies to have cross-licensing agreements with Google, rather than Google having to pay on-going license fees. That's why Google sold off the rest of Moto to Lenovo after only a couple of years.

And Google only bought HTC after HTC had driven itself into the ground. HTC's huge mistake, that they made for several generations in a row, was that they put in crappy cameras in otherwise good phones - at the same time Apple and Samsung were making huge strides in smartphone camera quality, and while FB and IG were becoming huge. What's left of HTC is now Google's manufacturer for Pixel phones.
    08-13-20 01:07 AM
    Google didn't buy Moto because it wanted to be a smartphone manufacturer - it wanted Moto's mobile patents to protect Android and force other companies to have cross-licensing agreements with Google, rather than Google having to pay on-going license fees. That's why Google sold off the rest of Moto to Lenovo after only a couple of years.

And Google only bought HTC after HTC had driven itself into the ground. HTC's huge mistake, that they made for several generations in a row, was that they put in crappy cameras in otherwise good phones - at the same time Apple and Samsung were making huge strides in smartphone camera quality, and while FB and IG were becoming huge. What's left of HTC is now Google's manufacturer for Pixel phones.
    Even if they bought Motorola for IP, surely Google and it’s shareholders wanted to see more out of this than just IP? They bought Motorola for $12.5 billion and sold it for ~$2.9billion, and if I remember correctly the Motorola IP wasn’t all that helpful as many Android OEMs still pay companies like Microsoft royalties for a number of things in Android. I believe Microsoft makes something like $1billion from Android patent-licensing royalties from Samsung alone.

Regarding HTC, I would have hoped for more, the Pixel devices seem to work as more Beta products than consumer centric devices, though they bring great Camera technology which I wish apps like Instagram took advantage of.

Either way, I hope Google finds a better a way to address their situation with Samsung + Microsoft, I am not sure if going with Nokia and giving them preferential treatment is such a good idea.
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 08-13-20 at 01:30 AM.
    08-13-20 01:20 AM
    The Samsung A51, A71, their 5G versions and upcoming A series phones which suceed them are going to get 3 years of OS updates:
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...of-os-updates/
    Samsung press release: https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...id-os-upgrades

This refers to new Android versions, not only security updates
    08-18-20 12:44 PM
    The Samsung A51, A71, their 5G versions and upcoming A series phones which suceed them are going to get 3 years of OS updates:

Yep!

Pixel, Nokia (Android One), and Samsung (A51 and above) are the 3 non-Chinese contenders for best support.
    08-18-20 12:53 PM

Glad Samsung made this commitment with "select.... A series devices".
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-18-20 01:39 PM
    Yep!

Pixel, Nokia (Android One), and Samsung (A51 and above) are the 3 non-Chinese contenders for best support.
    If one is in the market for a slab I can attest to the new Samsung A71 5G. It is damn impressive. We took the "deal" from T-Mobile last Friday and traded our S9's straight across.(cost us the tax or 42.60 on each) Samsung's sales numbers I believe will reflect very well with the A71 5G and A51 5G as the carriers here in US make it almost foolish not to upgrade if you are staying with them or considering another carrier. The 6.7 in screen size was an initial concern but the weight to size on the A71 5G and overall ergonomics in the hand feels great. (dare I say makes my S9 feel too small?) The speed with the 765G is immediate, 6GB RAM and 125GB storage seems like the new normal, 4500 mah battery life is stellar, cameras are excellent and the AMOLED screen is gorgeous. (and easier on my 48 yo eyes) I think the only problem Samsung will have with these is taking sales away from the S line. Seriously if one uses the A51G or A71G you will see what I mean. Both are so dang good and with their value to performance, 5G and 3 additional OS updates from 10 (11,12,13) they are no brainers. There is no longer any need to get a 4G device today, if upgrading, with these (and others to come) now out and on the market. Definite home runs for Samsung...
    08-18-20 01:39 PM
    If one is in the market for a slab I can attest to the new Samsung A71 5G. It is damn impressive. We took the "deal" from T-Mobile last Friday and traded our S9's straight across.(cost us the tax or 42.60 on each) Samsung's sales numbers I believe will reflect very well with the A71 5G and A51 5G as the carriers here in US make it almost foolish not to upgrade if you are staying with them or considering another carrier. The 6.7 in screen size was an initial concern but the weight to size on the A71 5G and overall ergonomics in the hand feels great. (dare I say makes my S9 feel too small?) The speed with the 765G is immediate, 6GB RAM and 125GB storage seems like the new normal, 4500 mah battery life is stellar, cameras are excellent and the AMOLED screen is gorgeous. (and easier on my 48 yo eyes) I think the only problem Samsung will have with these is taking sales away from the S line. Seriously if one uses the A51G or A71G you will see what I mean. Both are so dang good and with their value to performance, 5G and 3 additional OS updates from 10 (11,12,13) they are no brainers. There is no longer any need to get a 4G device today, if upgrading, with these (and others to come) now out and on the market. Definite home runs for Samsung...
    I'm waiting to see if the A51 5G makes it to AT&T. The regular A51 is already there, but as an LTE device, it has the Exynos CPU.

I had originally heard that both the Verizon and T-Mobile A51 5G were supposed to use the same Qualcomm chip as the A71 5G - the Snapdragon 765G. Apparently, only Verizon got the Snapdragon. The T-Mobile version got the Exynos 980.

I hope a future AT&T version would use the Qualcomm.

I'm really looking at the A51 over the A71 because of size. Both are already taller uncased than my current S9 is while in an Otterbox case.

In a case, my phone is already reaching my pants pocket comfort level. Sticking a case on one of these new monsters might just be too much.

I also may just go with the S10e.
    08-18-20 02:51 PM
    Congrats....

Do you have 5G in your area.... what are the speeds like on T-Mobile?
    08-18-20 03:09 PM
    I'm waiting to see if the A51 5G makes it to AT&T. The regular A51 is already there, but as an LTE device, it has the Exynos CPU.

I had originally heard that both the Verizon and T-Mobile A51 5G were supposed to use the same Qualcomm chip as the A71 5G - the Snapdragon 765G. Apparently, only Verizon got the Snapdragon. The T-Mobile version got the Exynos 980.

I'm really looking at the A51 over the A71 because of size. Both are already taller uncased than my current S9 is while in an Otterbox case.

In a case, my phone is already reaching my pants pocket comfort level. Sticking a case on one of these new monsters might just be too much.

Have you compared the A51 and A71 side by side? Once I did so I was less intimidated by the A71 5G. Now that I have had it a few days it actually feels great. The little added width makes the VKB to me much better.

The A51 5G through T-Mobile does have the 980 Exynos but that is an improved and upgraded chip over the 4G version.

I did mess around with the floor model A51 and I couldn't really much tell the difference. Since it was actually cheaper to trade across for the A71 and the camera is better we went that route.

Honestly don't think anyone can go wrong with either if in the market for a new Android 5G all touch device.
    08-18-20 03:14 PM

Looks like existing AT&T customers can get a A51 5G for free with a $35 dollar value trade in. Carriers are really ramping up the deals on these mid range 5G devices. I am certain T-Mobile will follow although anyone down to the S8 can trade in for $0 (less paying tax) on the A71 which is a better deal. Trying to get my MIL to trade in her S7 Edge we bought her for either the A51 or 71.

https://www.androidauthority.com/?p=1147971
    Update: The Galaxy A51 5G is now available on T-Mobile and is coming soon to AT&T.
    08-18-20 04:29 PM
    That's one of the reasons (the other is the camera quality) I only consider the A71 as it is Snapdragon powered everywhere (I live in Europe). Hopefully the upcoming A71 successor coming next will keep this good "tradition"...
    08-19-20 06:46 AM
127 ... 3456