But what if the Note 20 Ultra was free.... AT&T has a great offer right now, that isn't just on new lines but upgrades as well.

Guy just did it, but he went for the Note 20 Ultra 5G.... had to pay about $75 in fees, will send in his S9 once he gets the Note 20 and pay $10 for 30 Months. So $375 and his S9 that might could have gotten $250 on ebay for it.... for a $1300 phone. Just has to wait a few weeks for it to come in. Drop the 5G and it would have been only the $75 and the S9....

Think someone - AT&T or Samsung, or both are worried about COVID affecting phone sales and subscribers. Discount on upgrading is new as is locking in users for 30 months (AFAIK).
    He probably needed a bigger plan though. That's how it works in Canada. You end up paying almost every cent.
    08-11-20 11:40 AM
    I'm so glad I switched services back in March. I'm paying < $30/month total for three new iPhone SEs sharing 1GB a month, and my family has used less than 100MB total in 5 months!

I've saved over $1000 and gotten three new phones at the same time.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    08-11-20 11:45 AM
    But what if the Note 20 Ultra was free.... AT&T has a great offer right now, that isn't just on new lines but upgrades as well.

Guy just did it, but he went for the Note 20 Ultra 5G.... had to pay about $75 in fees, will send in his S9 once he gets the Note 20 and pay $10 for 30 Months. So $375 and his S9 that might could have gotten $250 on ebay for it.... for a $1300 phone. Just has to wait a few weeks for it to come in. Drop the 5G and it would have been only the $75 and the S9....

Think someone - AT&T or Samsung, or both are worried about COVID affecting phone sales and subscribers. Discount on upgrading is new as is locking in users for 30 months (AFAIK).
    He probably needed a bigger plan though. That's how it works in Canada. You end up paying almost every cent.
    Usually that’s case. AT&T is fighting it’s newest competitor right now in a new T-MOBILE that’s been rejuvenated with Sprint userbase that buys carrier locked hardware from pure habit. COVID-19 is also magnifying the fight right now.

I’d suspect you could see possible similar terms in Canada eventually. I suspect less COVID-19 issues could not be impacting Canadian economic conditions as much. Similar 2008-2010 situation
    08-11-20 11:46 AM

AT&T also just dropped to number 3 carrier here in US behind Verizon and the new T-Mobile.
    08-11-20 01:44 PM
    I think the new batch of VERY good mid tiered phones is also making a difference. The carriers always get you in the end, even on promo's in some fashion.

Hard to argue with a new 4a, A71, A51, Nokia or iPhone SE. I may even sell or trade in my S9 for the A71 5G or wait for the 4a 5G. Unless Samsung or T-Mobile does something really drastic for my S9 it's the end of "Flagship" type devices. There is simply no need to spend that kind of $$ on a mobile smartphone any longer.
    08-11-20 01:51 PM
    I think the new batch of VERY good mid tiered phones is also making a difference. The carriers always get you in the end, even on promo's in some fashion.

Hard to argue with a new 4a, A71, A51, Nokia or iPhone SE. I may even sell or trade in my S9 for the A71 5G or wait for the 4a 5G. Unless Samsung or T-Mobile does something really drastic for my S9 it's the end of "Flagship" type devices. There is simply no need to spend that kind of $$ on a mobile smartphone any longer.
    Unless you're a world-class gamer, or a photographer (who curiously doesn't carry a camera), I see no reason to pay more than $600 for a phone today.
    08-11-20 01:56 PM
    Unless you're a world-class gamer, or a photographer (who curiously doesn't carry a camera), I see no reason to pay more than $600 for a phone today.
    I think even an amateur streamer using a phone as a camera might want more camera horsepower, but otherwise I completely agree.

08-11-20 02:07 PM
    AT&T also just dropped to number 3 carrier here in US behind Verizon and the new T-Mobile.
    Which is why I think the NOTE 20 deal is being allowed for existing users... if they sign up for 30 Months.

His plan didn't change....
    08-11-20 02:08 PM
    Spend the extra $30 for the 2.3. Even for a burner, double the memory and storage will go a long way.

Hard to fathom how they can sell the Nokia 2.3 for only $130 - with 2 letter upgrades too.

My whole family use $199 Nokia 5.3 devices. A seriously capable phone for everyday use. Just crazy.

You have to shake your head before spending $1300 on a Note 20 Ultra. Is it really 6.5x better?
    Just a quick check...was the 2.3 designed for Android 10? I want to make sure I get all the new features, especially for security and privacy controls and gestures.

08-11-20 02:10 PM
    Just a quick check...was the 2.3 designed for Android 10? I want to make sure I get all the new features, especially for security and privacy controls and gestures.

It came out late last year. It was delivered with Pie, has received 10 (Mar), and will get 11 next spring.
    08-11-20 02:16 PM
    It came out late last year. It was delivered with Pie, has received 10 (Mar), and will get 11 next spring.
    Thanks. That's what I remember. I thought Google made a big deal.out of the fact that certain Android 10 features would only be available on new phones that shipped with Android 10 and would never be available on older phones upgraded to 10. Am I remembering correctly?

08-11-20 02:24 PM
    Thanks. That's what I remember. I thought Google made a big deal.out of the fact that certain Android 10 features would only be available on new phones that shipped with Android 10 and would never be available on older phones upgraded to 10. Am I remembering correctly?

Maybe you're thinking about Android Pie and project Treble?

Even if the 2.3 had shipped with Oreo, it wouldn't matter since it's Android One anyway.

Project Treble just makes updating easier for OEMs.
    08-11-20 02:56 PM
    Yep- on the Google site the upcoming 4a 5G is going to start @ 499. Looks like a slightly larger device and will have the 765 SOC. 🤯
    08-11-20 03:00 PM
    Yep- on the Google site the upcoming 4a 5G is going to start @ 499. Looks like a slightly larger device and will have the 765 SOC.
    That's why I suspect the Nokia 8.3 5G, initially rumoured to be $599, will likely be $549 when released. It's a better phone, but maybe not $100 better.
    08-11-20 03:04 PM
    That's why I suspect the Nokia 8.3 5G, initially rumoured to be $599, will likely be $549 when released. It's a better phone, but maybe not $100 better.
    T-Mobile has a Buy one get one free on the new Note 20 5G if you pre-order right now. Makes a new Samsung Note 20 $500.00 😲 without a trade-in 🤔
    08-11-20 05:51 PM
    Usually that’s case. AT&T is fighting it’s newest competitor right now in a new T-MOBILE that’s been rejuvenated with Sprint userbase that buys carrier locked hardware from pure habit. COVID-19 is also magnifying the fight right now.

I’d suspect you could see possible similar terms in Canada eventually. I suspect less COVID-19 issues could not be impacting Canadian economic conditions as much. Similar 2008-2010 situation
    Yeah it's brutal right now. 4 lines, unlimited data, with automatic bill pay for 100 dollars.
    08-11-20 05:54 PM
    T-Mobile also has a free Samsung A71 5G if I/we trade in our S9's. Very compelling as I don't need or use a stylus. No cost, new battery, well reviewed and 5G... 🤔 I am one that likes Samsung One UI.
    08-11-20 05:59 PM
    https://www.gsmarena.com/google_and_...news-44703.php

Google and Qualcomm invest big in HMD Global, "the home of Nokia phones"

...with all the fuss around the US government's ban on Huawei, Google is looking to propel a new smartphone maker into the top smartphone OEMs.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    08-11-20 07:45 PM

...with all the fuss around the US government's ban on Huawei, Google is looking to propel a new smartphone maker into the top smartphone OEMs.
    This is good news. One can only hope it continues pushing the android one concept.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-20 03:48 AM
    Find a phone with a customizable button. It helps bridge that gap a lot. I have my TCL 10 Pro setup to launch the hub, flashlight, and browser from the smart key and the camera from the power button. The edge panel contains another 10 apps to access from anywhere. I added "fast finder" which is an search app to the pull down menu to bridge the gap for other apps. One click, start tying, and you get exactly what you need!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've already pre-ordered two Pixel 4a's. Will be in hand on the 20th. I'll post a thread comparing the Key²LE with the Pixel 4a.
    08-12-20 04:55 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've already pre-ordered two Pixel 4a's. Will be in hand on the 20th. I'll post a thread comparing the Key²LE with the Pixel 4a.
    Looking forward to reading your comparisons.
    08-12-20 05:02 AM
    Google Pixel or iPhone. As much as I like the physical keyboard, it is outdated now especially with Android Oreo.
    08-12-20 06:44 AM

My guess is without it... Nokia would have went away. Which wouldn't have been good for Qualcomm or Google, if the US / China trade war get's worse.

But it's going to take a lot more than a few hundred million in investment to turn Nokia around....

I think we need a healthy and thriving Nokia... but don't know how they get there. Short US Carrier's picking up the torch and offering the whole Nokia lineup and pushing them.

India is a market that Nokia originally focused on.... but Chinese's OEMs and Samsung have really stepped up the lower end devices and their pricing. Nokia has been pushed out.... unless India too develops a nationalistic aversion to Chinese OEMs....

But in NA... unlocked phones aren't getting anywhere.
    08-12-20 07:17 AM
    My guess is without it... Nokia would have went away. Which wouldn't have been good for Qualcomm or Google, if the US / China trade war get's worse.

But it's going to take a lot more than a few hundred million in investment to turn Nokia around....

I think we need a healthy and thriving Nokia... but don't know how they get there. Short US Carrier's picking up the torch and offering the whole Nokia lineup and pushing them.

India is a market that Nokia originally focused on.... but Chinese's OEMs and Samsung have really stepped up the lower end devices and their pricing. Nokia has been pushed out.... unless India too develops a nationalistic aversion to Chinese OEMs....

But in NA... unlocked phones aren't getting anywhere.
    This still alleviates any concerns people may have with the brand for the next few years. It's a huge vote of confidence, and a shot of stability. It's not just about the dollars, but about where those dollars specifically came from.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-12-20 09:02 AM
    This still alleviates any concerns people may have with the brand for the next few years. It's a huge vote of confidence, and a shot of stability. It's not just about the dollars, but about where those dollars specifically came from.
    I agree... If Qualcomm works to allow Nokia early access to new chipsets or special pricing... that would go a long way.

Nokia is pretty much THE Android One program... other than Moto did one and I think Xiaomi has a couple.

If Nokia goes Qualcomm exclusive, and Google does all the heavy lifting with the software/hardware updating and patching.... and ups the Android One program to maybe three years of updates and total of four for patches (matching Samsung). That would be worth more than a few million in support dollars.

Still critical that they get in with US Carrier as something more than an entry level option.

My guess... Google already knows who is planning on leaving the smartphone business. The only other non-Chinese players other than Samsung - Sony and LG. If Nokia goes... that leaves Google and Qualcomm dealing with Samsung and the three Giants in China (one of whom they already have issue with). China fires back.... and both Google and Qualcomm could be the ones to suffer.

Leaving them with Samsung.... But the relation between Qualcomm and Samsung is complicated, and ever changing with the move to 5G and Samsung capable of their own chipsets. (And everyone getting tired of Apple and their Bionic chips that wipe the floor with anything Qualcomm comes up with) . Was it just 3G modems that kept Samsung from using their chips in the USA?

Samsung would also love to wrest more control from Google. I doubt TIZEN is much of an option still, and I don't think they'd risk dropping the Google Play for their own tiny apps store by going ASOP. But Google isn't as in control of Samsung as they'd like. If Nokia, Sony and LG were all gone... and China played hardball. Not sure Samsung is going to be the friend that Google might like them to be.

But 100%... this make buying a Nokia today, much safer than it was a month ago.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-12-20 09:31 AM
127 ... 23456