I'm not sure the Pixel 4 was all that great of a phone....Pixel 3 is almost two years into OS support with the 3A six months behind.

Not sure I'd consider a Pixel... unless it's the soon (maybe) to come 4a or the 5.

Samsung flagships have a great reputation with updates.
    As do the Nokia devices that come with the Android One program.
    The Pixel 4a just dropped today and is a great value @349. Tons of good viable Android midrange devices to choose from around this price point. The Samsung A71 and A51 are also noted to get similar support as the S line of 3 total OS versions and 4 years security patches. And One UI, if you use a Samsung, is always improving and useful.

I think the days of 1000+ dollar mobile devices are soon going to go the way of the Dodo Bird. Even with carrier deals as the midrange will be free with switches, BOGO or tradeins.

The average user is not going to know the difference in the SOC Apple included.
    08-03-20 12:53 PM
    The Pixel 4a just dropped today and is a great value @349. Tons of good viable Android midrange devices to choose from around this price point. The Samsung A71 and A51 are also noted to get similar support as the S line of 3 total OS versions and 4 years security patches. And One UI, if you use a Samsung, is always improving and useful.

I think the days of 1000+ dollar mobile devices are soon going to go the way of the Dodo Bird. Even with carrier deals as the midrange will be free with switches, BOGO or tradeins.

The $1K+ flagships won’t go away. The OEMs will find a way to segment that hardware. Sales volume is going down anyway.

I’d compare to desktop/laptop segments where gaming machines command premium dollars.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-03-20 01:05 PM
    The $1K+ flagships won’t go away. The OEMs will find a way to segment that hardware. Sales volume is going down anyway.

I’d compare to desktop/laptop segments where gaming machines command premium dollars.
    Laptops is probably a good analogy. As I only use office applications and a web browser, it is enough for me to buy a business laptop with medium specs which already includes good support (3/4y onsite warranty) and a durable build making it possible to use it for at least 4-5 years. While someone who needs a mobile workstation or a powerful gaming laptop still can get one (for significant premium)
    In case of phones, because of the camera being trash in the midrange models, until now someone who wanted a usable (not necessarily top of the line) camera was forced to buy one of the flagships no matter whether or if they needed the additional hardware (for example flagship SoC, additional graphics capabilities etc.). Apart from the camera, software update was and to an extent still is one such point with Android (midrange receives much less SW support than flagship).
    With regards to camera, this situation only started to change now, with regards to SW update who knows...
    08-03-20 03:06 PM
    Use a firewall like Lockdown and never use Google as your search engine. When I use the iPhone, I don't get those personalized ads. Also, when I leave the house I leave the smartphone behind and take a "Dumbphone", which is why I never see my "favourite places" showing up on maps on the smartphone. It has no clue where I've been.
    What "dumbphone" do you use?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-20 05:23 PM
    What "dumbphone" do you use?

Posted via CB10
    I have a small collection of 2G and 3G phones at my disposal. Nokia 3390 (aka 3310), Motorola V360, Nokia Asha 300, Doro 520X, LG B450, LG F4NR, Sonim XP5 and the dumbphone I currently use is a Samsung Rugby III.

I have some old Blackberry phones that technically qualify as smartphones but the two oldest (Bold 9780, Bold 9900) act mostly as dumbphones now. Just for calls, texts and email.
    08-04-20 06:47 PM

The 4a is on my shortlist if I have to buy a slab any time soon.

Who am I kidding? The 4a IS my shortlist! 😆
    08-05-20 06:33 PM
    After spending a lot of time tinkering with it, I can absolutely recommend the TCL Pro 10 as an upgrade from the KEY2. TCL managed to retain a decent amount of BlackBerry Mobile features, and of course you can also load the BlackBerry apps if you wish.
    08-05-20 06:37 PM
    After spending a lot of time tinkering with it, I can absolutely recommend the TCL Pro 10 as an upgrade from the KEY2. TCL managed to retain a decent amount of BlackBerry Mobile features, and of course you can also load the BlackBerry apps if you wish.
    The only major issue is the lack of security patches and letter upgrades.

Two years of quarterly patches and one letter upgrade is pretty weak sauce.
    Grungni likes this.
    08-05-20 08:50 PM
    There is a 4a in my family's near future. Awesome price.

The 4a is on my shortlist if I have to buy a slab any time soon.

Who am I kidding? The 4a IS my shortlist! 😆
    08-05-20 10:19 PM

Yep- not going to cut it anymore. If your going to sell a device OEM's or Google or Qualcomm are going to have to find a way to better support them at every price point.

Just because a device is cheaper does not mean it shouldn't be supported. I just picked up a Lenovo C340 Chromebook for our son for $258 dollars that runs apps and of course Chrome and even Linux if he wanted. It will be officially supported to 2026.
    08-05-20 10:40 PM

I know the Plex got the update to Android 10 that was promised, but a post I found from July 26, says it's still on the January Patch. We can check back in a year and see how TCL is doing with the 10's.
    08-06-20 07:49 AM
    I bit the bullet and pre-ordered two Pixel 4As. One to replace my wife's ageing Blackberry Motion and to replace my Key²LE. I'll still use the Key²LE for work related emails (I can't give up the pkb completely).
    There will be some Key²LE features I'll miss, the space bar fingerprint reader, Hub, the pkb (of course).
    I've watched many review videos on the Pixel 4A and am impressed by the overall positive reviews, I'm just not all that thrilled about typing on glass but I'll get over it I'm sure. I've done it before.
    We'll see how it goes Aug 24th.
    08-07-20 07:59 AM
    I bit the bullet and pre-ordered two Pixel 4As. One to replace my wife's ageing Blackberry Motion and to replace my Key²LE. I'll still use the Key²LE for work related emails (I can't give up the pkb completely).
    There will be some Key²LE features I'll miss, the space bar fingerprint reader, Hub, the pkb (of course).
    I've watched many review videos on the Pixel 4A and am impressed by the overall positive reviews, I'm just not all that thrilled about typing on glass but I'll get over it I'm sure. I've done it before.
    We'll see how it goes Aug 24th.
    About 98% of BlackBerry fans have figured out the "typing on glass" issue... in time I'm sure you will as well. I'm sure your wife will love the better camera on the 4a, and that will be worth it.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-07-20 08:08 AM
    About 98% of BlackBerry fans have figured out the "typing on glass" issue... in time I'm sure you will as well. I'm sure your wife will love the better camera on the 4a, and that will be worth it.
    I have had many type on glass phones but have always preferred the Blackberry pkb. In the past I was a beta tester for the Swype keyboard. Also this will be the first time Missy and I will have the same model of phone.
    Ironically I learned of the Pixel 4A on here.
    08-07-20 08:25 AM
    I have had many type on glass phones but have always preferred the Blackberry pkb. In the past I was a beta tester for the Swype keyboard. Also this will be the first time Missy and I will have the same model of phone.
    Ironically I learned of the Pixel 4A on here.
    Lot's of folks in the same boat... they love BlackBerry, but they need a new phone. So lot's of threads and suggestions on what might work best... next.

I'm sure some will appreciate hearing how the 4a works for you... from the perspective of a BlackBerry Fan and a PKB fan.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-07-20 08:30 AM
    Lot's of folks in the same boat... they love BlackBerry, but they need a new phone. So lot's of threads and suggestions on what might work best... next.

I'm sure some will appreciate hearing how the 4a works for you... from the perspective of a BlackBerry Fan and a PKB fan.
    Oh....and one major Key feature I'll miss....keyboard shortcuts.
    Now I think I'll go and cry.
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-07-20 08:34 AM
    Yeah those keyboard shortcuts are gold. I have edge panels set up on my S9 that help somewhat. Not as easy but about the next best I have found.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-07-20 11:39 AM
    Yeah those keyboard shortcuts are gold. I have edge panels set up on my S9 that help somewhat. Not as easy but about the next best I have found.
    As is my custom when I get interested in purchasing a new phone I do a lot of research. Since one of my main concerns is what I lose in reference to the Key²LE PKB and its features (besides the pkb itself and the app shortcuts) I researched Gboard features. I found this article: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...shortcuts.html
    Since I haven't used the Gboard since I bought my BlackBerry Passport I learned a lot from the article and from a couple of others. I use the word substitution shortcuts very frequently and am thrilled that it is a Gboard feature. Since I seem to use the app shortcuts only about 50% of the time this change may not be so bad.
    08-10-20 05:46 AM
    Good report from Android Police:

"In America, this is a lot of phone for $350. In fact, I see no reason to buy any currently on sale Android smartphone that doesn't cost as least twice as much as the 4a."
    08-11-20 12:42 AM
    Good report from Android Police:

"In America, this is a lot of phone for $350. In fact, I see no reason to buy any currently on sale Android smartphone that doesn't cost as least twice as much as the 4a."
    Yes- very good reviews coming out on the Pixel 4a. Unbeatable combination of performance, updates, security and value for a all touch Android phone. I believe this is a wheelhouse for phones Google could finally achieve market penetration, much like reasonably priced, well performing and supported Chromebooks.
    08-11-20 10:01 AM
    It does look like both Google and Apple are aiming squarely at the $350 mainstream user, and they both have solid offerings.

Now that I've committed to what I consider to be the lesser of two awful choices with the iPhone SE for my "mobile app device" I'm considering an Android "burner" phone but don't plan on getting anything more sophisticated than the lowly Nokia 1.3 for $100.

But I would definitely pick up the 4a before even looking at anything more expensive!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    08-11-20 10:14 AM
    It does look like both Google and Apple are aiming squarely at the $350 mainstream user, and they both have solid offerings.

Now that I've committed to what I consider to be the lesser of two awful choices with the iPhone SE for my "mobile app device" I'm considering an Android "burner" phone but don't plan on getting anything more sophisticated than the lowly Nokia 1.3 for $100.

But I would definitely pick up the 4a before even looking at anything more expensive!

Spend the extra $30 for the 2.3. Even for a burner, double the memory and storage will go a long way.

Hard to fathom how they can sell the Nokia 2.3 for only $130 - with 2 letter upgrades too.

My whole family use $199 Nokia 5.3 devices. A seriously capable phone for everyday use. Just crazy.

You have to shake your head before spending $1300 on a Note 20 Ultra. Is it really 6.5x better?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-11-20 10:38 AM
    Spend the extra $30 for the 2.3. Even for a burner, double the memory and storage will go a long way.

Hard to fathom how they can sell the Nokia 2.3 for only $130 - with 2 letter upgrades too.

My whole family use $199 Nokia 5.3 devices. A seriously capable phone for everyday use. Just crazy.

You have to shake your head before spending $1300 on a Note 20 Ultra. Is it really 6.5x better?
    Yeah, I know you're right. I agree the 2.3 is a much better value. But, since the only thing I will ever use the phone for is to slot in a prepaid SIM and get an SMS message when some annoying service (Google Voice/FB/etc.) absolutely insists I validate with a genuine mobile number, I'm actually more curious to see how well Android Go runs on 1 GB Ram!

99.99% of the time the phone will sit in a box on a shelf. The only reason I don't use a feature phone is that I might have to validate the number and an app at the same time.

08-11-20 11:16 AM
    Find a phone with a customizable button. It helps bridge that gap a lot. I have my TCL 10 Pro setup to launch the hub, flashlight, and browser from the smart key and the camera from the power button. The edge panel contains another 10 apps to access from anywhere. I added "fast finder" which is an search app to the pull down menu to bridge the gap for other apps. One click, start tying, and you get exactly what you need!
    08-11-20 11:19 AM

But what if the Note 20 Ultra was free.... AT&T has a great offer right now, that isn't just on new lines but upgrades as well.

Guy just did it, but he went for the Note 20 Ultra 5G.... had to pay about $75 in fees, will send in his S9 once he gets the Note 20 and pay $10 for 30 Months. So $375 and his S9 that might could have gotten $250 on ebay for it.... for a $1300 phone. Just has to wait a few weeks for it to come in. Drop the 5G and it would have been only the $75 and the S9....

Think someone - AT&T or Samsung, or both are worried about COVID affecting phone sales and subscribers. Discount on upgrading is new as is locking in users for 30 months (AFAIK).
    08-11-20 11:37 AM
127 12345 ...