I'm at peace with Google - but not the hundreds of others.
    Fair enough. I see Google as the root of the problem because all of the trackers ultimately leverage Google's data in one way or another.

But, ultimately, I think the platform debate is a bit of a red herring, as both Google and Apple are extremely problematic. However, I prefer the company that makes its money on hardware to the one who makes its money from analyzing user behavior.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 07-23-20 at 04:39 PM.
    07-23-20 02:39 PM
    I have Lockdown installed on my iPhone SE. It may not be perfect (is anything?) but it's doing its job quite well.
    07-23-20 08:50 PM
    Fair enough. I see Google as the root of the problem because all of the trackers ultimately leverage Google's data in one way or another.

But, ultimately, I think the platform debate is a bit of a red herring, as both Google and Apple are extremely problematic. However, I prefer the company that makes its money on hardware to the one who makes its money from analyzing user behavior.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Use a firewall like Lockdown and never use Google as your search engine. When I use the iPhone, I don't get those personalized ads. Also, when I leave the house I leave the smartphone behind and take a "Dumbphone", which is why I never see my "favourite places" showing up on maps on the smartphone. It has no clue where I've been.
    07-23-20 08:57 PM
    So i received an email from ATT saying that my Q10 and sons S8, will not be compatible on their new system. New phones must be purchased.

So with no new keyboard BB on the horizon, whats a loyal bb person to do?
    Get a Pixel. 2 OS updates. 3 years of PROMPT monthly security updates. It's great.
    cribble2k likes this.
    07-23-20 09:31 PM
    So i received an email from ATT saying that my Q10 and sons S8, will not be compatible on their new system. New phones must be purchased.

This AT&T model is very retro.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=IviKzopB
    07-24-20 07:26 AM
    So the op just left the building right after starting the the thread ;-)

Posted from my P'9983
    07-24-20 12:01 PM
    So the op just left the building right after starting the the thread ;-)

Posted from my P'9983
    Probably lurking around...
    07-25-20 06:05 PM
    Titan Unihertz and couple other PKB phones still out there.

If you have to go slab, I would get a dual screen so keyboard doesn't soak up screen space.
    07-28-20 12:30 PM
    Planet Computers Astroglide. I mean, slide.
    07-28-20 12:58 PM

Looks like the ship has definitely sailed at this point. The only blackberry that you may can get away with using on a carrier is the keyone and the Key2LE on Verizon.

But by that time is it really worth it? I have adapted well to the BB vkb and got a pixel. I have not looked back.
    pgg101 likes this.
    07-29-20 08:21 AM
    But by that time is it really worth it? I have adapted well to the BB vkb and got a pixel. I have not looked back.
    I think most will be fine after two or three months.... unless they are old dogs unable to learn new tricks.

But I wouldn't even bother with the BB VKB at this point... no use messing around with something that doesn't have a future. Other apps might get updated (or might not) for Android 11 and beyond. But they have no reason to update the keyboard app, as none of the phones that officially use it are being updated. Which is why it hasn't been updated along with the rest of the suite... last update was almost a year ago.

Is sill a chance it will work ok on Android 11... just have to see.
    07-31-20 09:57 AM
    I think most will be fine after two or three months.... unless they are old dogs unable to learn new tricks.

But I wouldn't even bother with the BB VKB at this point... no use messing around with something that doesn't have a future. Other apps might get updated (or might not) for Android 11 and beyond. But they have no reason to update the keyboard app, as none of the phones that officially use it are being updated. Which is why it hasn't been updated along with the rest of the suite... last update was almost a year ago.

That's actually a good point about the support for BB vkb. I may have to consider the switch to gboard.
    07-31-20 04:20 PM

None of the phones that use the VKB have been updated beyond 8.1 so the notation of may or may not work is odd speculation and no different from the update to Pie or 10 which has been a-ok.

The BlackBerry VKB (side loaded) and HUB Suite I subscribe to work as intended on my S9 running 10, UI 2.1 and the July security patch. The HUB Suite has been updated with minor bug fixes within the past few months.

If you prefer the BlackBerry VKB as I do for flick typing then use it.
    07-31-20 09:45 PM
    GBoard really isn't that bad. The predictive typing is fairly good.

That's actually a good point about the support for BB vkb. I may have to consider the switch to gboard.
    07-31-20 09:59 PM
    GBoard really isn't that bad. The predictive typing is fairly good.
    GBoard seems to be the consensus leader
    08-01-20 03:23 PM
    Does gboard (or any android vkb) allow for swiping back on the keyboard to delete a word, swiping/flicking, and swipe down for symbols? I have to convert soon.
    08-01-20 05:23 PM
    Does gboard (or any android vkb) allow for swiping back on the keyboard to delete a word, swiping/flicking, and swipe down for symbols? I have to convert soon.
    Best to download and try it out. Every phone has nuances
    08-01-20 06:39 PM
    No flicking capability with any other vkb. The BlackBerry vkb is the only one that does that.
    bh7171 likes this.
    08-01-20 07:45 PM
    Swiping back to delete works. No flicking. Long press on period brings up symbols. Predicted words show up above the keyboard.

08-01-20 11:14 PM
    No flicking capability with any other vkb. The BlackBerry vkb is the only one that does that.
    Big world of android and no one has thought of that yet? A shame.
    08-02-20 04:26 AM
    Going to use Gboard all day today. So far it is a little better to type on. It does have swipe to delete from the delete button. That is the biggest plus.

Will have to do some more tweaking for it to feel like the BB vkb. The one thing I wish it had was a control key function. I also am missing auto capitalization after I type the letter "i". Guess I should stop being lazy and do it myself lol. At least I have a virtual keyboard that is future proof.
    08-02-20 12:16 PM
    Big world of android and no one has thought of that yet? A shame.
    Lol, we now see that the words 'thought' and 'android' actually CAN coexist in the same sentence! Lol.
    08-02-20 06:03 PM
    Pretty sure Swiftkey uses swipe back to delete words. I wanna say that's your best bet beyond BlackBerry VK.
    08-03-20 07:47 AM
    I'd say from BlackBerry side there ain't any options left.
    But I will list you, what I would get:

1.) If it has to be an physical keyboard device:
    - BlackBerry Key2: if you want to stick with a BlackBerry. It's the their latest and last version, but no real software support
    - Unihertz Titan: which comes closest to a BlackBerry, IDK about their software support and the hardware seems to be medium, except the battery - this is massive

2.) If Android is an option for you:
    - Google Pixel: I'd take the Pixel device over any other Android devices, because of Google's own software support. You will always get the latest and greatest software patches first and actually all of them, including around 3years of latest OS support.

3.) If iOS is an option for you:
    - iPhone SE2: it's a budget power house with at least 5years of full software support from Apple, running their current flagship chipset and a "okayish" set of camera.
    - iPhone 12 launch (wait for it): I'd wait for the iPhone12 launch, which will be fairly soon. Either you pick one of their new devices or then one of their current devices, which will get a price drop when the new devices hit the field.

For the rest:
    Which plattform you pick, is up to your taste and liking. I'd sum it up that way:
    -Android: More costumizable, mostly new features first and more options (hardware wise).
    -iOS: More private and mostly fast security patches and longer software support

And yeah, I know, there are lot more cool Android devices which I didn't pick only because of the software point of view.
    But those were my picks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-03-20 08:18 AM

2.) If Android is an option for you:
    - Google Pixel: I'd take the Pixel device over any other Android devices, because of Google's own software support. You will always get the latest and greatest software patches first and actually all of them, including around 3years of latest OS support.

I'm not sure the Pixel 4 was all that great of a phone....Pixel 3 is almost two years into OS support with the 3A six months behind.

Not sure I'd consider a Pixel... unless it's the soon (maybe) to come 4a or the 5.

Samsung flagships have a great reputation with updates.
    As do the Nokia devices that come with the Android One program.
    08-03-20 08:35 AM
127 1234 ...