The full article is well worth the read.

What Brought BlackBerry To The Brink And Why None Of It Matters Anymore - Seeking Alpha

Ron Johnson, the man behind the remarkable success of the Apple Store (AAPL), recently said that "Mindshare always precedes market share." Since the launch of the iPhone in June 2007, BlackBerry (RIMM) has been losing US mindshare even as they grew their global subscriber base from 8 to 79 million. US subscribers were holding steady at 21 million until early 2011 when RIM and the US carriers had a major disagreement regarding mobile payments. The introduction of the Blackberry Playbook in April 2011 further deteriorated carrier relations. A free tethering feature for consumers called Bridge, that carriers could neither detect nor bill for, ensured that carriers would be denied the astronomical data fees they were accustomed to receiving on other tablets.

US carrier support completely collapsed when RIM launched the current lineup of BB7 phones. The new phones were the polar opposite of the data hungry iPhone and Android beasts that carriers needed to pay for expensive LTE networks. For RIM, the decision not to release an LTE product was a costly one

While it's true that RIM's management had indeed executed horribly during 2010 and 2011, they did do some important things right. Even as short-term execution suffered, all of their best resources continued to be directed to getting BB10, their state of the art OS, to the finish line. If they truly believed that BB10 was going to be a game changer, then the short-term pain was justified.

If BB10 lives up to its potential, RIM could have a major coup on their hands.
    12-22-12 08:45 AM
    Yes, that is the potential. People will realize RIM was not sitting still all that time!
    12-22-12 09:32 PM
    That was a very good and informative article. Nice find.

Sent from the smartphone of my choice using Tapatalk 2
    12-23-12 04:16 AM
    well written, well said , even the comments are great
    12-23-12 07:54 AM
    Yes, that is the potential. People will realize RIM was not sitting still all that time!
    This is cool but way over simplified.
    If you don't think they sat on their backside for two years prior to 2011 then please explain the loss of market share, positive bottom line and the two monkeys that ran it?

Let's not forget how RIM got here as we hope they do not repeat history.

RIM suffered a major self inflicted head wound. They are still in the ER, touch and go for a while longer. That's if the doctors prescribed the right cure and rehabilitation.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-24-12 10:45 PM
    Trsbbs, I don't get what your saying. In April 2010 Mike L realized that BBOS would be dead in the water and bought QNX, TAT and so on. Everything else, BB6 & BB7 was doing the best with the outdated OS they had and buying time until QNX was ready. I believe it is that simple unless I missed something. The market share losses would have occurred no matter what they did, but were accelerated by their poor execution.

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the article, I have much more coming.
    sf49ers likes this.
    12-24-12 11:47 PM
    Trsbbs, I don't get what your saying. In April 2010 Mike L realized that BBOS would be dead in the water and bought QNX, TAT and so on. Everything else, BB6 & BB7 was doing the best with the outdated OS they had and buying time until QNX was ready. I believe it is that simple unless I missed something. The market share losses would have occurred no matter what they did, but were accelerated by their poor execution.

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the article, I have much more coming.
    It is not that simple. RIM had many opportunities not to attrition its North American client base by offering some sort of trade-in program for those willing to buy BB7 phones early in the year. They were deaf. They could have offered rebates to current customers willing simply to wait. They were deaf. They could have lowered costs for repairs and battery replacements for EOL phones while people were waiting. RIM as a corporation has a marketing policy that indicates it is deaf dumb and blind. Which sadly, as a Canadian, I recognize is just how Canadian corporations act.

It is THAT simple.
    12-25-12 01:54 PM
    Bk1022, you are right on the mark, They could have done SO much more, likely an operations guy with a 'big picture view' like Thor would have. My point was from a purely technical perspective they pushed the limits on what that BBOS was capable of. But, absolutely they could have lessened the blow by being hyper promotional and aggressively keeping customers. My guess is that they were such a chaotic mess last year that couldn't get organized enough to do any of it.

I still believe that if BB10 is a big hit, Mike L deserves the credit for the vision and gathering all the pieces. Thor gets ALL the credit for putting it together and out the door.
    12-25-12 02:13 PM
    RIM's problems started long before LTE networks came along.

What does MATTER is people want their new $200 on contract phone, to do everything and more that a phone that is FREE on contract. There are some that will paymore for the security, or just for the name. But the average consumer will not... IF major apps are missing on day ONE. or if the average person can't access their Kindle Books, DirecTV (or other cable company) or if their local banks app will not work... these will MATTER and are a reflection of what has happened in the past..
    12-25-12 07:50 PM