09-06-16 09:17 PM
62 123
tools
    The OS dictated the Square screen which in turn caused the the excessive width. A Passport with a narrower but taller screen running Android would have done better than the PRIV. Personally I would prefer a PKB device about the same size as a S7 or a true 9900 redo with a taller screen.

On a world wide basis a really good PKB phone can succeed. Just do not expect Samsung like sales. I would rather have BlackBerry design their own phones than rebadge a less than stellar phone. I hope that their new PKB will satisfy fans.
    There are no PKB devices to re-brand from Alcatel. I'm sure there will be no compromise when it comes to the Rome. It will be fully designed by BlackBerry and like always, I'm sure it will blow everyone's mind. The Bold lineup and its new generation of Q10 & Classic, all impressed. BlackBerry's legacy is in the Bold lineup.

Chen said one device will be more towards the mid to high-range. Now, after the DTEK50 we can be certain which device will play in that range. So expect something around $400-450. We won't see anything disappointing for that price tag. It allows BlackBerry to develop something top notch, adding that its manufactured by a Chinese OEM, it should make it better cost-wise for BlackBerry.

I still believe the passport, like many BB10 devices, failed in sales only because of the App-less OS. Not anything else. BlackBerry needs to get the OS, Price & Marketing right, in order to be profitable. They're starting to understand this and hopefully everything works out just fine.
    09-05-16 10:20 AM
    If BB10 would have had apps then the Z models would have been successful and likewise so would have been the Q10.

The Passport was a hail Mary pass in the same way the Priv was. There is no market for a slider or a super wide phone.

I would like to see BlackBerry focus on phones that are pocketable.

Edit: I did manage to hold a Dtek today. Seems to be nicer phone to hold that other phones around the same price. I wish that manufacturers would spend more time on the power and sound buttons. In this regard, I like the IPhone. I hope that BlackBerry has more influence in designing their next "reference" device to include the red light, removable battery and power button on top. While I am this topic, let me say that I prefer a physical home key and back key on the right side like a Samsung.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-05-16 at 03:26 PM.
    murphcid likes this.
    09-05-16 02:20 PM
    Yeah this why I would like to see the toolbelt in the Rome. I'm a fan of the home & back key. One of the things I like about my Samsung. One of the things I thought is missing from the Q10, but they fixed that in the classic.
    09-06-16 12:38 AM
    No kidding. I also want a pocketable device. Yep BB 10 died for lack of app support since the kids are all about their apps. Heck my daughter had to d/l two apps for SCHOOL!? on her iPhone. It is all about ecosystem these days.

If BB10 would have had apps then the Z models would have been successful and likewise so would have been the Q10.

The Passport was a hail Mary pass in the same way the Priv was. There is no market for a slider or a super wide phone.

I would like to see BlackBerry focus on phones that are pocketable.

Edit: I did manage to hold a Dtek today. Seems to be nicer phone to hold that other phones around the same price. I wish that manufacturers would spend more time on the power and sound buttons. In this regard, I like the IPhone. I hope that BlackBerry has more influence in designing their next "reference" device to include the red light, removable battery and power button on top. While I am this topic, let me say that I prefer a physical home key and back key on the right side like a Samsung.
    09-06-16 06:51 AM
    Yes, but if it looks like the illustrations which make it look like a Priv with the keypad extended, count me out, ugly, ugly, ugly. I want something I can stick in a pocket like the older 9900/Classic. I neither need nor want a phablet.

Yeah this why I would like to see the toolbelt in the Rome. I'm a fan of the home & back key. One of the things I like about my Samsung. One of the things I thought is missing from the Q10, but they fixed that in the classic.
    09-06-16 06:52 AM
    No kidding. I also want a pocketable device. Yep BB 10 died for lack of app support since the kids are all about their apps. Heck my daughter had to d/l two apps for SCHOOL!? on her iPhone. It is all about ecosystem these days.
    Yeah its amazing that BB10 didn't grow within the business sector. Its because the kids want their apps I guess

It is such a lame excuse to pin BB10's failure on "kids wanting apps."
    Sairos likes this.
    09-06-16 08:14 AM
    If you release a passport as the world's first pocket chromebook and ADVERTISE IT, there may be a chance.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 08:19 AM
    Yeah its amazing that BB10 didn't grow within the business sector. Its because the kids want their apps I guess

Very true... that was sure an exciting time here on CrackBerry.

Chicken and the egg. Neither the Q10 nor Z10 were competitive. They spent huge amounts on BB10 and not enough on the devices themselves. No track pad? Small screens? Battery life ?

Many of us would have been happy with the mobile version of the PlayBook OS running Android apps available on BBW.
    09-06-16 08:48 AM
    Lol, a lot of you act like teenagers are the only ones not buying Blackberries. People in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and beyond aren't buying them either.
    I think putting out a decent budget device like the DTEK50 will sell more phones than Bieber, Kardashian, or whoever. Whether it's enough, we'll know soon enough.
    09-06-16 09:07 AM
    The business sector wants apps as well.

09-06-16 06:52 PM
    The business sector wants apps as well.
    I think that was Donnation's point, you missed his sarcasm, lol.
    09-06-16 07:15 PM
    Sorry, it was a really sucky day at work, and my sarcasm id was off.

I think that was Donnation's point, you missed his sarcasm, lol.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-06-16 09:17 PM
62 123