Blackberry is seen by many as a maker of sub-par, old spec'ed, extremely conservative phones. Examples are Priv (dumb name), with its endless bad ones which force return after return, and just no excitement compared to the latest Samsung or iWhatever. The Passport, really odd form factor that does not appeal to anyone except Blackberry fan-boys (sorry). The Classic, a stumbling attempt at bringing back the glory days of Blackberry. Kids just have no reason to get one. Period.

So what Blackberry needs is someone like Kim Kardashian with the latest, greatest Blackberry device taking nude/semi-nude duck faced selfies, or some other famous for being famous twinkette showing off her Blackberry phone in glamorous places that very few teens/college girls could ever go. Blackberry needs celebutant hype. It needs to be cool, hip, trendy, and really capable of that ultimate Snapchat, Twtitter, Fakebook, Tinder, etc moment.

As my teenage kids say: "Dad! It's an old person's phone!"
    08-29-16 07:05 AM
    What they need is a great product, at a great price..... then they could market it.
    08-29-16 07:38 AM
    This has been the topic of debate for many years now. But opportunities have past by people have moved on and now it's the brand image more than capability of the products. I do agree. Releasing mid range devices or niche devices like the priv are a bad idea when you want to sell a lot of phones. Especially when the top android phones are more capable for better prices. But this is all old news.maybe when they release their all touch high end it will be competitive in the flagship market and steal some of the spotlight from other big android oems

Posted via G5 with hub+
    08-29-16 08:22 AM
    The Passport, really odd form factor that does not appeal to anyone except Blackberry fan-boys (sorry).
    A lot of people outside the BlackBerry fanboys found the passport to be quite interesting, I've even read articles saying that the passport should've been the unique device to run android and bring BlackBerry back into the picture, instead of the Priv. Business & screen real state are better this way. Specially with people who need their financial news, charts and stocks regularly You would be able to view them much better on a squared screen. Same goes for E-mails and a lot of things. It's a Business Powerhouse. Its only missing APPS.

In my opinion, the passport's design was ingenious. Its BB10 who ruined its chances. Release whatever you want to release with BB10 and it will fail because of the OS, not because its odd or because its a Classic from the glory days. Sell these devices with android for a reasonable price and they may be able to sell enough to bring BlackBerry into relevancy.

So what Blackberry needs is someone like Kim Kardashian with the latest, greatest Blackberry device taking nude/semi-nude duck faced selfies, or some other famous for being famous twinkette showing off her Blackberry phone in glamorous places that very few teens/college girls could ever go. Blackberry needs celebutant hype. It needs to be cool, hip, trendy, and really capable of that ultimate Snapchat, Twtitter, Fakebook, Tinder, etc moment.
    Wrong Wrong Wrong. BlackBerry's values, mission and image is not built on being a phone that Celebs take nude Pix with. BlackBerry projects a Professional image with productivity features that are no where else. Get Kim Kardashian, a woman who got famous for leaking a Sex tape and then try to sell security?.. What are you thinking mate.. Okay she is trendy and trendy sells, but you're striking at the heart of BlackBerry's value proposition of security and professionalism. They simply can't restructure themselves to be an entertainment devices company, even Kim likes them like that!

Its like wanting Ferrari to make family cars, Okay they will sell and its great but its not what the company is, they're successful in Super cars and they've built all their brand image on that. BlackBerry built their whole brand image on certain ideas and bringing Kim Kardashian to market us for selfies, nudes and BS won't get us Gov & Corps clients, won't be enough to sell as the competition sells better and its not our strong selling point. We were successful as it was back in the day and we can be again, ONLY WITH ANDROID. It wasn't the devices but the app-less OS. Release good android devices with decent prices and you may able to win.
    08-29-16 08:53 AM
    I'll disagree, you have to get the kids and other youngsters excited about the phones. If it takes Kim's Kardashian then do it. I do agree that the passport should have been android from the start.
    08-29-16 07:45 PM
    A lot of people outside the BlackBerry fanboys found the passport to be quite interesting, I've even read articles saying that the passport should've been the unique device to run android and bring BlackBerry back into the picture, instead of the Priv.
    But they don't buy the phone, it's meaningless.
    08-29-16 07:54 PM
    But they don't buy the phone, it's meaningless.
    Because of BB10 and the absence of Apps, not because of its form factor. I've already stated this. You argue the form factor is the reason the Passport didn't sell, I think its the OS.
    08-30-16 12:26 AM
    I'll disagree, you have to get the kids and other youngsters excited about the phones. If it takes Kim's Kardashian then do it. I do agree that the passport should have been android from the start.
    BlackBerry can't afford to market, the sooner you will understand this, the clearer things will be. Even if they can, they'll never go the Kim way, or any other celebrity for that matter. It doesn't serve the brand.

Something like the F1 Mercedes team sponsorship did serve the brand's image. Alicia keys failed miserably, no one got excited. She tweeted from her iPhone. Its the damn OS people, No one is buying App-less devices. Resurrect Elvis Presley and get him to market BB10, still won't sell.
    08-30-16 12:30 AM
    I don't think that's the image that BlackBerry is going for..

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-30-16 01:32 AM
    What blackberry needs is a major image rebuild, being in the auto industry all of my carrier, this is not an easy task here folks. The brand has been badly damaged and here in the US, it's all but been forgotten about. I am sorry to say that most of this has been self induced and I don't need to go into why because it's been well documented and talked about on these forums for a while now.

How does it get fixed? Thats the million dollar question and I have seen first hand how hard it is to rebuilt a tarnished name, automakers here have been doing it for years. Sometimes they are successful and sometimes its better just to start over from scratch. The major hurdle Blackberry faces is Apple, Samsung and Google are the new titans of the industry and have huge cash reserves and resources that would make it very difficult, if not impossible to try and compete against them.

I think they can still survive as a niche brand in the enterprise sector and with their security software as long as they can sell enough devices to make a profit and justify still bringing a new product to their small market. My concern is even in the enterprise sector the migration to Android and IOS devices has been huge, I can't think of one of my major clients still using a Blackberry device, which is sad, but reality in 2016.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    08-30-16 06:22 AM
    Sad, but true. My kids look at Blackberry the same they do at flip phones: "Old people's phones" that no one uses except Grandpa who just can't handle technology. I showed a Passport to my youngest daughter, and she immeidately checked it, and said: "No apps, what use is it?". She liked the form factor a little, then went back to her iPhone to text, snapchat, and play games. My oldest said: "Weird shape, no apps, cool keyboard". Sans a miracle, it looks like Blackberry is going the way of Palm, or HP phones.

What blackberry needs is a major image rebuild, being in the auto industry all of my carrier, this is not an easy task here folks. The brand has been badly damaged and here in the US, it's all but been forgotten about. I am sorry to say that most of this has been self induced and I don't need to go into why because it's been well documented and talked about on these forums for a while now.

How does it get fixed? Thats the million dollar question and I have seen first hand how hard it is to rebuilt a tarnished name, automakers here have been doing it for years. Sometimes they are successful and sometimes its better just to start over from scratch. The major hurdle Blackberry faces is Apple, Samsung and Google are the new titans of the industry and have huge cash reserves and resources that would make it very difficult, if not impossible to try and compete against them.

I think they can still survive as a niche brand in the enterprise sector and with their security software as long as they can sell enough devices to make a profit and justify still bringing a new product to their small market. My concern is even in the enterprise sector the migration to Android and IOS devices has been huge, I can't think of one of my major clients still using a Blackberry device, which is sad, but reality in 2016.
    08-30-16 06:53 AM
    Cool, hip and trendy? Selfies? Celebrities?

This world is seriously messed up if you feel as though you need anything like that to make a brand ''popular.''

I'd rather have a phone that people deem as uncool but still one of the best on the market than that.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 06:55 AM
    I have two teen-age daughters, I see what makes their purchasing decisions, and it is cool, hip, trendy, media savvy, much to my disgust. I hate to sound trite, but it is all in the marketing, and in that area BB has failed miserable. "Old people's phone" *sigh*

Cool, hip and trendy? Selfies? Celebrities?

This world is seriously messed up if you feel as though you need anything like that to make a brand ''popular.''

I'd rather have a phone that people deem as uncool but still one of the best on the market than that.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 07:02 AM
    In the marketing, yes, I agree with that.

That doesn't mean though that they need to sink to the lowest level of attracting celebrities and pretending to be 'hip'.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 07:14 AM
    A lot of people outside the BlackBerry fanboys found the passport to be quite interesting, I've even read articles saying that the passport should've been the unique device to run android and bring BlackBerry back into the picture, instead of the Priv.
    King Google does not allow a 1:1 screen ratio so its servant BBRY could never release such a phone.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-30-16 07:22 AM
    Who is to say that BB could not make that one of their modifications? You have to get the younger crowd excited about the phone, my youngest just asked if she could roll her birthday and Christmas into one, and get the new iPhone 7, since it will be the "ultimate cool" phone. I mentioned Blackberry to her, and her response was: "Really daddy, I might as well have a flip phone and no apps, no way!"

King Google does not allow a 1:1 screen ratio so its servant BBRY could never release such a phone.
    08-31-16 06:31 AM
    Who is to say that BB could not make that one of their modifications? You have to get the younger crowd excited about the phone, my youngest just asked if she could roll her birthday and Christmas into one, and get the new iPhone 7, since it will be the "ultimate cool" phone. I mentioned Blackberry to her, and her response was: "Really daddy, I might as well have a flip phone and no apps, no way!"
    I suggest you tell her that 2017 is the 10th anniversary for apple and they will release another iPhone in that year with radical changes. Buying the iPhone 7 is a big mistake. Well, buying any iPhone is a big mistake but anyway, for your daughter, wait for 2017.

P.S. You can always tell her about the Priv. (All the Apps in the world).
    08-31-16 09:01 AM
    Who is to say that BB could not make that one of their modifications?

Because King Google says no - and if King Google says no, you cannot release your phone.

The only possible response from BBRY is "yes my master".
    08-31-16 10:16 AM
    BlackBerry is basically the only phone with a keyboard now. I think as long as they bring it back, i'll always be blackberry. I'd love a removable battery with it though.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 03:37 PM
    Because Sith Lord Google says no - and if Lord Google says no, you cannot release your phone.

The only possible response from BBRY is "yes my master".
    FIFY

... and they've joined the Dark Side... ;-(((

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    08-31-16 05:15 PM
    BlackBerry can't afford to market, the sooner you will understand this, the clearer things will be.
    Despite buying up other companies, they still have billions in cash.
    BB, Still the One
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-31-16 08:08 PM
    I'll disagree, you have to get the kids and other youngsters excited about the phones. If it takes Kim's Kardashian then do it. .
    Exactly! Like it or not it is the teens that determine "what cool is" and Blackberry is seen as something for old men...."my dad uses a Blackberry" "If he has a Blackberry he is too old to date you".....

It didn't help that Blackberry marketing and commercials WERE TERRIBLE! I will never forget the one with the middle-aged housewife standing in front of a minivan or something bragging about being able to do 5,000 text messages a day on her Blackberry. Not exactly an image of style and fashion, not glam in any regard, but glam and fashion and IMAGE are what sells, whether we like it or not. and another problem with that commercial is that "only old people text nowadays." People use Messengers today, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Viber, like, KIK, etc. these are considered "cool" and SMS texting isn't.

If it is shiny and flashy and can load 300 apps without running out of memory and has an epic selfie camera to keep your eyebrows ON FLEEK, this is ALL that matters to the waves of the vast majority that buy devices.

Blackberry is conservative and I think that is respectable and needed for many, but lets face it, it doesn't sell as well as a toy iphone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-31-16 08:09 PM
    I always like to back up what I say.....

http://www.inc.com/issie-lapowsky/in...teenagers.html

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-31-16 08:15 PM
    Lol, a lot of you act like teenagers are the only ones not buying Blackberries. People in their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and beyond aren't buying them either.
    08-31-16 08:49 PM
    I would have to agree that the youth (under say 20) dictate more what the older generation do now more than ever. There was a time in technology that the 30 some things set the trends. Now, it's the 12 to 18 year Olds.
    So we better listen to what they like. They are the future business consumers and they will not just accept what us older groups use blindly.

Blackberry most definitely needs appeal to the younger crowds or they will remain relevant. Unless by going to software and closing hardware they can avoid that youth affect.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 04:37 AM
62 123