What once was thought to be the flagship device of the company is already dead in the water. No more developers will even bother with BlackBerry from the recent ****-storm announced this week. C'mon folks, seriously, what can BlackBerry realistically expect when they launch the Z30? And who might I ask, is going to even bother with the device now? It already had Ho hum specs to begin with, now we know for sure apps will continue to be bare bones, and the company has no idea where it's going to he in the near future. So, what could they even expect? What incentive we have buying one? Is there even a point to its launch jow?

Posted via CB10
    rodan01 likes this.
    08-14-13 09:49 AM
    Where did you get your information from? Because it doesn't make sense as a developer

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:52 AM
    Im not sure what BB expects. maybe just to get around the same sales numbers as the Z and Q are. If you put out enough products and they all sell 1-2 million a QTR then your overall sales numbers isnt bad. But if they think its going to do remarkably better than either of the previously released devices I think they will be disappointed.
    08-14-13 09:53 AM
    Additionally, for all we know this year is the trial period and next year will be big news with releases.

This is me saying this, I dont have a source, but it's not unheard of. Is it the smartest thing? No, but BB did admit they hurried to release BB10 early this year since it had already been delayed. We'll wait and see.

Here's to hoping they go private!
    08-14-13 09:54 AM
    Why doesn't it make sense? I see a dying platform practically on the heels of surrendering, and what? I'm going to bother developing for them? It's not Intel, it's common sense

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:56 AM
    And you know everything that is going on behind closed doors!

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    08-14-13 09:57 AM
    Where did you get your information from? Because it doesn't make sense as a developer

Posted via CB10
    Why doesn't it make sense? I see a dying platform practically on the heels of surrendering, and what? I'm going to bother developing for them? It's not Intel, it's common sense

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:57 AM
    And you know everything that is going on behind closed doors!

Posted via CB10
    It's a question man. Why doesn't it make sense?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 09:58 AM
    Too much **** going on about BB. All those bashers never check how many iPhones Apple sold during their very first quarter 2007 against a 6 months old platform. Literally we are comparing an Apple to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    08-14-13 10:05 AM
    EDIT: just to clarify I realize this is about the Z30 but I think suggesting nobody will buy it implies the whole company, and the interest in the Z10 and BB10 OS, is equally dead,

Blackberry still has some sense of a loyal customer base, a recognizable brand, phones selling (albeit not in vast amounts) and claws in businesses. Blackberry isn't what it used to be, and it is in trouble, but I'm not sure BB10 OS can be considered dead just yet.

I'm interested in Blackberry for the first time, without any previous history of owning a Blackberry device. I like the design of the Z10, I like the Apple-style appeal of a brand that controls both the hardware and software of its products, and I like the OS.

I don't like Android, but I do like iOS. BB10 OS has a sense of security and a visual appeal that combines a familiar feeling with unique differences, both in a design sense and in a functionality sense.

I've made a couple of games independently, selling on iPad, Windows, Mac. I'm not a big company or a massive success, but I do make a hit of extra income this way, and I am interested in making Blackberry ports. This is despite having no interest in Windows Phone or Android. That doesn't mean much when it is just me, but there could easily be many others who are interested in BB10 OS like me. Actually, I have a fair few dev friends and online contacts who want to and will soon begin to.

In my opinion, since deciding to launch a new OS and new phones, there hasn't been enough time to let the new image sink in. Blackberry has been very awkward and quiet over the last few years, from my perspective, but it has only just re-emerged as something potentially relevant to me. It may have waited too late, but I still feel there is time for Blackberry to trickle down into people's lives as a brand, and be interesting and favourable again.

I'm in the <20 age bracket, and for the first time a Blackberry phone seems like it could be a good digital companion over other phones, rather than just a slightly ugly business phone with a qwerty keyboard (there are a lot of charming older Blackberry phones but wow, some real ugly ducklings too).

When people think Blackberry, they see a physical qwerty keyboard in their head. It will take time for this to change. Physical keyboards are good for some, but are the face of old technology.

Perhaps it is too late to fix Blackberry, but if I am here, then maybe there are, and will be, others who decide to ditch the iPhone and Android route and try something that is 'different'. I feel disappointed I might be late to the party of Blackberry, but optimistic that Blackberry will in some sense remain and grow.
    08-14-13 10:16 AM
    Too much **** going on about BB. All those bashers never check how many iPhones Apple sold during their very first quarter 2007 against a 6 months old platform. Literally we are comparing an Apple to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    It's a very poor comparison, due to blackberry's current performance.
    08-14-13 10:32 AM
    The company can survive by itself. It doesn't have to sale as much as Apple or Samsung volume. As long as the company can still sale around 10 millions devices per quarter, it makes money.
    stevepar and Geeoff like this.
    08-14-13 10:53 AM
    Honestly BB just needs some more time and an injection of cash which is probably why they are looking for a sale more than anything.
    08-14-13 10:56 AM
    The company can survive by itself. It doesn't have to sale as much as Apple or Samsung volume. As long as the company can still sale around 10 millions devices per quarter, it makes money.
    Sales of the first three quarters combined won't equal 10 million.
    So according to you Blackberry has been loosing money for the past…. Wait, when was the last time blackberry sold 10 million or more phones a quarter?
    08-14-13 11:00 AM
    Whatever happens I just hope that Blackberry can survive this state of their existence. Who knows maybe the Z30 with it's Phablet style, and Android-like specs will get some wouldbe Android adopters to come on board and get the numbers up.
    08-14-13 11:05 AM
    Whatever happens I just hope that Blackberry can survive this state of their existence. Who knows maybe the Z30 with it's Phablet style, and Android-like specs will get some wouldbe Android adopters to come on board and get the numbers up.
    it is not the size or specs it is the lack of apps that is keeping everyone away and the new device will not change that
    08-14-13 11:23 AM
    its not a phablet by any means. Its a tad bigger than a z10
    08-14-13 11:26 AM
    So, guys! No one here is answering my questions. Do you even see the need or fathom anyone else out there desiring a Z30 given the almost certainty that BlackBerry is on the brink of folding?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 11:38 AM
    Spoiler alert. If BlackBerry doesn't up the specs, Z30 sales are going to be very disappointing. BlackBerry is losing on all fronts. No apps, no carrier support, not the fastest, not the biggest/best camera, not the best resolution, not the cheapest. Operating software is very good (not perfect), but it wasn't sold very well. BlackBerry needs to do something drastic and extreme to get people to buy this phone.
    08-14-13 12:38 PM
    So, guys! No one here is answering my questions. Do you even see the need or fathom anyone else out there desiring a Z30 given the almost certainty that BlackBerry is on the brink of folding?

Posted via CB10
    Your negativity is neither needed nor appreciated. Your question is so empty there is no answer to it. What answer can be given to someone who asks an invalid question having made up his mind about what the answer should be and will refuse any positive answer? Stop wasting your time and other people's time and go develop some software that creates some random, empty questions like the ones you're asking lol

Im not sure where youre from but i can assure you Blackberry have enough committed users who would never go for anything else...the Z30 definitely satisfies users who like the bigger screen, who have bigger hands and who want high end specs. The OS is brilliant and is not dead at all, I really dont know what on earth you're on about when you say "almost certainty that BlackBerry is on the brink of folding".

You are a man with no vision it seems, you cant see further than your nose...if you truly cant see the potential BB10 has then I dont why youre wasting your time on this forum.
    stevepar and Tariq Nasir like this.
    08-14-13 12:42 PM
    Please define brink of folding? Did BB just burn up the 3 billion cash they have right now? Did they issue a press releasing suspending all production of phones?
    Stop being a child and grow up and start reading informative sites just not BGR

You do know at 3b cash they can operate as they are for 2years before they start getting into trouble that is of course they make no profit during that time.

Oh to answer your question I am ditching my iPhone 5 for the z30
    stevepar and ColdStoneGuards like this.
    08-14-13 12:45 PM
    Basically this dude signed up specifically to make this post.
    08-14-13 12:51 PM
    Kris, the $3B of cash isn't going to last for very long. Service revenue is about to fall off a cliff and that's generating all of BlackBerry's cash flow currently. That's why you hear people mention that they should sell off their hardware business. If you look back 2 to 3 years (most phones are sold on 2 or 3 year contracts and will be coming up for renewal soon), BlackBerry was selling over 12 million phones per quarter. These older phones generated about $60/year to BlackBerry to use their secure servers. The new BB10 phones don't need this service unless subscribed to and current quarterly sales are less than 7 million. Simple math dictates that this revenue is about to fall off a cliff. This is why BlackBerry executives at their last earnings release mentioned that they are no longer going to be providing the installed user base. I wish the situation was different, but it's impossible to deny reality. The good news about BES10 - assuming they can iron out the existing bugs, is that they charge $90/year per phone managed by it and it can manage androids and iphones in addition to BlackBerry's. Huge potential for growth here, but it needs to happen fast to offset the upcoming decrease of BB7 and older revenue.
    08-14-13 12:51 PM
    {snip} I really dont know what on earth you're on about when you say "almost certainty that BlackBerry is on the brink of folding".

{snip} if you truly cant see the potential BB10 has then I dont why youre wasting your time on this forum.
    While obviously nobody knows what's going to happen, BBRY folding is hardly an inconceivable outcome given the news this week. Someone could buy the company, stop the whole handset business, spin off QNX, and sell the patents. Who knows?

Also,it's considered rather bad form to suggest that people not post here because they don't happen to share your exalted opinion of BB10's potential.
    JeepBB and MasterOfBinary like this.
    08-14-13 12:54 PM
    While obviously nobody knows what's going to happen, BBRY folding is hardly an inconceivable outcome given the news this week. Someone could buy the company, stop the whole handset business, spin off QNX, and sell the patents. Who knows?

Also,it's considered rather bad form to suggest that people not post here because they don't happen to share your exalted opinion of BB10's potential.
    It also depends on which news service you are referring to. Many of them took the press release as a sign that BlackBerry has given up and wants to be sold. From what I've read, they are looking to go private and do what they can to increase BB10 sales, which may mean bringing in a partner. The press release even says they are looking to increase sales. That certainly doesn't sound like a company that has given up yet.
    08-14-13 01:04 PM
58 123