WTF is the big deal about this phone not having WIFI??? I mean seriously im at a loss for why people are having a big fit about it. Can someon expalin what i'm missing. Dont mean to sound rude sorry if i do.
    03-10-09 05:46 PM
    If this phone doesn't come with wifi I'm jumping ship to at&t for the bold. Its not that the phone needs wifi its just the fact that verizon and sprint screw us out of full capabilities of a device. WHY NOT PUT WIFI.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 05:53 PM
    But why Verizon has MORE then sufficent coverage that you shouldnt need to use the feature of WIFI??? I mean I guess its one of those things that baffles me.
    03-10-09 06:16 PM
    Att has good coverage to. Its just principle with me. Why not give wifi if it makes people happy.

03-10-09 06:21 PM
    I just want Wi-Fi on all my devices now; I don't really need it, but I want it.

03-10-09 06:24 PM
    I could care less about WIFI, I am getting this phone with or without it when it comes to Sprint. Need a world edition phone and my 8830 is getting very worn out.
    03-10-09 06:26 PM
    i don't care about wifi either. i have great coverage everywhere so i'd probably never use it.

When i'm overseas, i'll just get the global plan, no big deal.

My only concern is the unlocked GPS.

i wonder how many vzw folks with wifi on their non blackberry actually need to use it? i've heard it's faster...but i use the web all the times for various tasks and i'm thrilled with the speed, even on my 8330!

03-10-09 06:28 PM
    i don't care about wifi either. i have great coverage everywhere so i'd probably never use it.

i wonder how many vzw folks with wifi on their non blackberry actually need to use it? i've heard it's faster...but i use the web all the times for various tasks and i'm thrilled with the speed, even on my 8330!

Ok im with you on the GPS but the WIFI thing just baffles me honestly it does not make sense!! Honestly why would an 8ft tall wookie live on the planet Endor with a bunch of 3ft tall Ewoks THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
    03-10-09 06:36 PM

Ok if the argument was RIM told us it was wifi or GPS and we said GPS, ok I can buy that, might go that way myself if I was VZW CEO. BUT this day and age RIM can and has made the devices with GPS & Wifi (8820 I think was the first). It's becoming appearent that VZW suggested (forced???) RIM to leave wifi out of the Storm and now MAYBE out of the Niagara.

But I guess we'll all see in a few months at which time I MIGHT have a Storm for sale.
    03-10-09 06:38 PM

But with wifi, it'd be faster, I think thats the whole point? As well as if it can be an option to no extra cost to the consumer, then why not? If I'm sitting in a hot spot and have the option to use wifi or not I'm most definitely going to use it.
    03-10-09 06:41 PM
    Couldn't agree more....I would rather have it and not need it...and all of the smartphones are capable of WiFi, so they should have it...just my opinion
    03-10-09 06:51 PM
    I have it and use it when I can. I wouldn't want a phone now that doesn't give me the option.
    03-10-09 06:53 PM
    You might just need to actually try wifi just to see what your missing. I used to be on verizon and know what kind of coverage and speed you're talking about, but thank God i've moved up in the world and now use t-mobile. On top of the HUGE speed boost, (on wifi i get around quadruple the download/upload speed then when not) another benefit is UMA. The fact that i can just shut off my cell service and still make free calls and texts is FREAKIN awesome! Verizon will NEVER do that because all they care about is money. Why else do you think their phones don't have wifi when everyone else does? it's because they want to control everything about your usage so they can make more $$. Sorry, i'm ranting, but i just suggest you give a wifi enabled phone a good run and i promise you'll become a faithful follower!
    03-10-09 06:56 PM
    I have verizon for my storm, and I tell you there are still places in all three hospitals I go to where you CAN'T get service, but my touch gets wifi. That is the big deal... for me. In the basement, no signal... in the back of surgery at one hospital.. no signal (neither vzw or att) ... there ARE places you DON'T get signal, and if you work in a big building, it's more often than you might think... besides, as others have said, if a device was designed for wifi... why should vzw and others restrict it? They make you buy the damn data plan anyway... they aren't losing any money? Do they really make loads of cash on people going over the 5GB limit? Meh...
    03-10-09 06:58 PM
    Ok im with you on the GPS but the WIFI thing just baffles me honestly it does not make sense!! Honestly why would an 8ft tall wookie live on the planet Endor with a bunch of 3ft tall Ewoks THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
    Lol wonderful episode!

03-10-09 07:30 PM
    WTF is the big deal about this phone not having WIFI??? I mean seriously im at a loss for why people are having a big fit about it. Can someon expalin what i'm missing. Dont mean to sound rude sorry if i do.
    Verizon can brag all they like about their excellent coverage. But when I have to do work in the basement of my office, there is not one bar from any carrier making it through.

But the wireless router one floor above my head works just fine.
    03-10-09 07:36 PM
    But with wifi, it'd be faster, I think thats the whole point? As well as if it can be an option to no extra cost to the consumer, then why not? If I'm sitting in a hot spot and have the option to use wifi or not I'm most definitely going to use it.
    I think this post gets right to the heart of the issue:

You might just need to actually try wifi just to see what your missing. I used to be on verizon and know what kind of coverage and speed you're talking about, but thank God i've moved up in the world and now use t-mobile. On top of the HUGE speed boost, (on wifi i get around quadruple the download/upload speed then when not) another benefit is UMA. The fact that i can just shut off my cell service and still make free calls and texts is FREAKIN awesome! Verizon will NEVER do that because all they care about is money. Why else do you think their phones don't have wifi when everyone else does? it's because they want to control everything about your usage so they can make more $$. Sorry, i'm ranting, but i just suggest you give a wifi enabled phone a good run and i promise you'll become a faithful follower!
    If you put out a phone that has WiFi, then your subscribers aren't forced to use your network... and if they don't have to use your network, then that's a loss of revenue for you.
    03-10-09 08:22 PM
    But Verizon has other phones with wifi...

03-11-09 12:03 AM
    There is a reason why Verizon is 80 Million Strong and Number 1!
    Services that offer the wifi need to cuz their service is so terrible. I like having the most realible service, instead of walking around looking for signal or some wifi...
    03-11-09 12:16 AM
    i personally dont care about the wifi because when im home im on my macbook so the onl time i use my bb to surf the web is out of the house where there are no wifi spots or anything of the sort so it does not matter to me.
    03-11-09 03:31 AM
    If wifi is so fantastic (never had it myself) and the iphone has it, why do soooo many people b*tch about AT&T's coverage?
    03-11-09 04:05 AM
    There is a reason why Verizon is 80 Million Strong and Number 1!
    Services that offer the wifi need to cuz their service is so terrible. I like having the most realible service, instead of walking around looking for signal or some wifi...
    I've been on T-Mobile ever since I got my first Blackberry and signal has never been an issue. One reason for that is T-Mobile's roaming agreements. There are parts of the country I go to that have poor T-Mobile coverage -- so I roam on AT&T or someone else like that at no extra charge to me.

When I go visit family, and they're surrounded on all sides by mountains, of course coverage is spotty, as it is with everyone. That's why the option of wifi is great. The surrounding hillside might block the carriers, but their wireless router does just fine in and around the house.

03-11-09 07:19 AM
    to the tread starter... one word!

T R A V E L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that clears things up about the need for wifi on a world device!
    03-11-09 07:45 AM
    I read on boy genius that the 9630 is not going to have WIFI so everyone panic!
    03-11-09 07:50 AM
    PANIC and strife. All over one little wifi option. If you don't like it, stay with a bb that has wifi. Nuf said.

03-11-09 07:53 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD