Does BlackBerry provide one? Now that my contacts on Q10 are a complete mess and restoring them from an old backup file from my Torch bricks my email account, I need to do this surgically.

I don't know if the mess is due to BB10 or Gmail, but both have the same records which are missing the same information (phone numbers or email addresses of some contacts). I looked for a converter online, but either they cost $$ or else they plant tracking code on the computer and proceed to spam you to death.

Is there a converter that is free, effective and safe to use? Does BlackBerry provide any assistance with such conversions?

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 11:31 AM
    This may work and it is listed as free. MagicBerry - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Publisher's Description

From Mena Step Innovative Solutions:
    With MagicBerry Blackberry IPD & BBB Editor and Converter you can convert, parse and edit Blackberry IPD and BBB database file. Split and merge records and extract SMS, contacts, phone calls log, and service books to CSV or text files. You can use MagicBerry for editing the database and upload and save it in the IPD/BBB file. The first software that allow editing and extracting Blackberry Service Book for provisioning of the WiFi, MMS, Internet application (Facebook, GTalk and Yahoo).
    What's new in this version: Version 3.5 added BBB file support and convert, convert IPD to BBB (Mac, Windows), search records, extract media files.
    08-03-13 01:07 PM
    Magicberry is a paid service. The free trial version extracts only the first 5 records. I'm looking for an app or service provided by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 01:31 PM
    Sorry about that I was just going off the link which listed it as free. Never used it myself.
    08-03-13 01:38 PM
    01-14-14 06:19 AM
    What you can try is to do a copy of your existing backup contacts file .bbb, then rename it .ipd.

Once you've renamed the copy, use the following program:-

BlackBerry Contacts Extractor - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

If it doesn't work and you still have your Torch, you will need to find which version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager was saving backups as .ipd files. I vaguely recall the change from saving .ipd to .bbb occurred sometimes in between OS6 and OS7.

Do then an "Address Book All" backup and use the above program to extract your contacts.

I did it successfully a few years ago but can't recall which freeware program I used.

As to whether "...BlackBerry provide any assistance with such conversions?" you can try to contact them through your carrier.
    01-14-14 06:47 AM