I've avoided BBM since my second BB when I started receiving PIN messages intended for the previous owner and realised that it has a major privacy problem.

I might be interested in a custom PIN provided I can find assurance that, if any of my phones ever get recycled to other users, they would never see messages intended for me. But I can't find any such assurance online.

Anyone here know the answer?
    02-09-16 02:19 PM
    BBM accounts are single device only accounts.
    In order to use your BBM account on another device, you must move the account to the new device, the old device will no longer show your messages. This is done mostly automatically when you activate and sign in with your BBID on a new device and then turn on BBM.
    That is how it works for any BBM account level, be it basic free, custom PIN, or BES controlled.
    In order for someone to gain access to your current BBM, then would need to know your BBID info and use that to activate and sign in a device you do not possess.
    If you have an old device, that you had been using with your current BBID, and don't want to risk anyone getting it, turning it on, and possible knocking you current device off, then all you have to do is wipe the old device.
    You can also manage your current and previous devices under your BBID here:
    http://us.blackberry.com/bbid.html

A custom PIN is a vanity thing, it allows you to mask over your existing PIN with one of your own. Useful for say a business person with a ton of BBM contacts and wishes to simplify having a new BBM contact add them or if you just want to have your own "brand".
    BBM accounts are single device only accounts.
    In order to use your BBM account on another device, you must move the account to the new device, the old device will no longer show your messages. This is done mostly automatically when you activate and sign in with your BBID on a new device and then turn on BBM.
    That is how it works for any BBM account level, be it basic free, custom PIN, or BES controlled.
    In order for someone to gain access to your current BBM, then would need to know your BBID info and use that to activate and sign in a device you do not possess.
    If you have an old device, that you had been using with your current BBID, and don't want to risk anyone getting it, turning it on, and possible knocking you current device off, then all you have to do is wipe the old device.
    You can also manage your current and previous devices under your BBID here:
    http://us.blackberry.com/bbid.html

A custom PIN is a vanity thing, it allows you to mask over your existing PIN with one of your own. Useful for say a business person with a ton of BBM contacts and wishes to simplify having a new BBM contact add them or if you just want to have your own "brand".
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 02-09-16 at 04:33 PM.
    02-09-16 03:01 PM
    Custom pin follows You, and not the device.

It makes it easier to communicate to people, and when you change device, you don't have to update your business cards or other places you have communicated your pin.

With custom PIN connected to your BBID, your business cards are still valid when changing devices
    02-09-16 05:45 PM
    How much is a custom PIN?

Sent from my  Classic
    02-10-16 08:06 PM
    Custom pin follows You, and not the device.

It makes it easier to communicate to people, and when you change device, you don't have to update your business cards or other places you have communicated your pin.

With custom PIN connected to your BBID, your business cards are still valid when changing devices
    Even regular pins do this, not just the custom one.

I currently am on my Passport but if I turn on my Classic or Z30 and want to use that device and bring my BBM list over, I simply click on BBM on that device and am prompted to move my list over.

I do this all the time.

Attachment 390888

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 11:00 PM
    Even regular pins do this, not just the custom one.

I currently am on my Passport but if I turn on my Classic or Z30 and want to use that device and bring my BBM list over, I simply click on BBM on that device and am prompted to move my list over.

I do this all the time.

Attachment 390888

Posted via CB10
    That's BlackBerry ID, not the actual PIN.

It's if you want to keep an easy to remember string to add contacts with instead of either sharing your BBID email address or having to use a PIN (non-BB devices don't have consistent PINs).
    02-10-16 11:07 PM
    How much is a custom PIN?

Sent from my  Classic
    Around $2 $1/month, I believe.
    Last edited by thurask; 02-10-16 at 11:24 PM.
    02-10-16 11:09 PM
    $0.99 / month
    02-10-16 11:22 PM
    That's BlackBerry ID, not the actual PIN.

It's if you want to keep an easy to remember string to add contacts with instead of either sharing your BBID email address or having to use a PIN (non-BB devices don't have consistent PINs).
    You are so right. I thought he was saying that the list follows only follows the custom pin.
    02-11-16 01:34 AM