Can someone explain the benefits that leads a manufacturer to go with the micro USB as opposed to the mini USB that allot of devices already have.
    03-10-09 11:52 AM
    It takes up less space and will become a standard in the near future.
    03-10-09 12:00 PM
    Well for starters it looks as if per the USB specifcation that Mini-A is deprecated but Mini-B is still good. Mirco is the same width but half the thickness so that's helpful. Plus since its a newer standard and some telcom dept of the EU (I think that's who it was) decided that all new phones should use a standardized charger port (USB) that everyone should just use the micro. But I'm not sure what the status of all that is. Just heard something in the nerdy news the other day about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 12:01 PM
    I have wondered that myself. I think it boils down to the fact the micro USB in thinner in height and as devices get smaller and smaller, it takes up less space. Also, and this is just my opinion, I think it’s all about selling accessories at the point of purchase that are compatible with your particular model.
    Last edited by Patrickwc; 03-10-09 at 12:31 PM.
    03-10-09 12:09 PM
    I think it�s all about selling profit-heavy accessories at the point of purchase that are compatible with your particular model.
    I don't agree with that if the intention is to standardize between phones. I was mostly curious the difference between the two.

I doubt that skinnier is the reason either, if the width is the same. There must be something different like the difference between USB1 USB2.0.
    03-10-09 12:18 PM
    I just broke down and bought 2 converters last night so I can still use all my mini cords. Cost me 8 dollars on ebay, and free shipping.
    03-10-09 12:21 PM
    Micro is also rated to last longer than mini. There is a long wikipedia article up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 12:59 PM
    Can someone explain the benefits that leads a manufacturer to go with the micro USB as opposed to the mini USB that allot of devices already have.
    Less breakage. I've seen ALOT of malfunctioned Blackberrys and guess what the #1 breakage is? the USB port.

It's poorly made.
    03-10-09 01:02 PM
    Less breakage. I've seen ALOT of malfunctioned Blackberrys and guess what the #1 breakage is? the USB port.

It's poorly made.
    The USB port on my 8320 just died last week.
    03-10-09 03:37 PM
    I just broke down and bought 2 converters last night so I can still use all my mini cords. Cost me 8 dollars on ebay, and free shipping.

Ditto. I also like that little cord that comes with it that lets you attach it to the mini-USB cable so it's always there when you need it.
    03-10-09 05:45 PM
    The biggest improvement micro has over mini is the thickness of the plug. Micro-usb plugs are significantly thinner than mini. They also can handle more power and they are can handle more connects/disconnects.
    03-10-09 06:11 PM
    They can handle more power? the max a usb port can offload is 500ma with a driver, 100ma without.

Where'd you read that! I want to know! :P
    03-11-09 11:10 AM
    On 17 February 2009, the GSM Association announced[23] that they had agreed on a standard charger for mobile phones. The standard connector to be adopted by 17 manufacturers including Nokia, Motorola and Samsung is to be the micro-USB connector (several media reports erroneously reported this as the mini-USB). The new chargers will be much more efficient than existing chargers. Having a standard charger for all phones, means that manufacturers will no longer have to supply a charger with every new phone.
    So, basically it's a standard. While it'll be more painful at first (none or few accessories will work) in the end it should be great as everything should work with everything.

It uses a smaller port and chipset which is great for all of these slim devices.

Not sure about that power rating mentioned by Anshulk though. It was my understanding that all USB was rated the same but USB 3 may be able to output more power.
    03-11-09 11:46 AM
    Ditto, picked up a couple at Circuit City going out of business. Got 6 for about $10.00, they were dirt cheap so I just grabbed what they had left.
    03-11-09 11:55 AM
    The physical interface of the Micro appears to be more durable - look at the female mini USB connector, it always looks like it's about to fall off, with no real support in the male connection. The Micro looks more solid with a comparatively hefty plastic surround inside the connector to surround the interface on the phone.
    03-11-09 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD