02-14-16 02:36 AM
42 12
tools

Classic in my pocket for communication, iPad mini in my backpack for everything else.

Which brings us full circle

Part of the failure of BB is to keep pace with BYOD and the desire of many (most?) people to carry a single phone that does everything.

No offence, but you are in a tiny minority in being willing to tote two devices around. Those days are gone (without any regrets) for most people who will simply buy an iPhone or Android phone that is equally capable acting as a messaging device *and* as a connection to the 21st century "world".
    02-10-16 04:50 AM
    Furthermore, there's an importance that the apps come from BlackBerry in the BlackBerry way. BlackBerry has been given access to other app services, but those services don't always have the Permission Selection format that BB offers.
    I'm willing to pay for the apps I want "once" with the cash in my pocket . But I'm not willing to"barter"my personal data (that is not essential for running the app), just to use the app. That applies to BlackBerry or anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 06:15 AM
    Title says it all, personally I need my social media like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter (possibly), YouTube, Watt pad & some other stuff for blogging. What app do you guys need?

Posted via CB10
    Google Play Store - that would do it
    02-10-16 06:20 AM
    Google Play Store - that would do it
    Then, as others already mentioned, why do you torture yourself with a BlackBerry phone? Go android from the ooutset.
    02-10-16 09:02 AM
    BB10 lost the app race a long time ago. The few made for BlackBerry apps and android ports: Facebook, Twitter, Igran ect. lack features and are no longer updated. The apps that depend on the android runtime often run badly or not at all. A while back I decided to delete all the apk's, ports, and amazon store apps I had installed on my Classic. I wanted whatever time I have left with the device to not be distracted by apps the OS was never really meant to run anyway. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. don't gave a damn about BlackBerry. I really liked Google Voice but it was dropped like a bad habit. Now I just ask my Classic to do what it does best - Calls and messaging. Don't get me wrong I use many of the apps mentioned in this thread. I just use them on an iPad Mini where they are fully supported and updated. I see no reason to waste time expecting BlackBerry to ever match Android and iOS in the app game.

Classic in my pocket for communication, iPad mini in my backpack for everything else.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    What about maps? Turn by turn navigation. BB MAPS has not been updated as far as I know.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 09:54 AM
    I was going to post something very similar, but then saw your post.

I'll just add that having the genuine App, rather than some reverse-engineered clone, is also important to many people. I want to use the same Facebook & Instagram App as everyone else, not Face10 & Igram, no matter how good they might be. And that's just for social "fun" Apps. Only a complete lunatic would trust a banking App or similar that came from an unofficial source!
    3rd party developers are also always at the whim of the original's owner. Access to APIs can be yanked or severely restricted.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-10-16 10:11 AM
    What about maps? Turn by turn navigation. BB MAPS has not been updated as far as I know.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Maps has turn by turn and works great for me.

02-10-16 06:37 PM
    Which brings us full circle

Part of the failure of BB is to keep pace with BYOD and the desire of many (most?) people to carry a single phone that does everything.

No offence, but you are in a tiny minority in being willing to tote two devices around. Those days are gone (without any regrets) for most people who will simply buy an iPhone or Android phone that is equally capable acting as a messaging device *and* as a connection to the 21st century "world".
    OK I'm one of those crazy people too. Actually I have three cell phones active right now. An iPhone 6 a Nexus six and a passport. There is absolutely no doubt that if I was go to two phones I would lose the passport and if I was go to one I'd lose the Nexus. I'm probably going to swap the Sim card on my passport to my Q 10 anyway. I like the smaller size for email. I'm not doing high end computing on the passport anyways
    02-10-16 08:18 PM
    BlackBerry Maps has turn by turn and works great for me.

When was it last updated?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 10:40 PM
    BlackBerry needed a lot of the big ones that people mentioned.

I say "needed" in past tense, because they were needed in order to grow BlackBerry 10's userbase, starting around this time in 2013.

But that ship has sailed, so we have what we have, and if we want more, we have to jump through hoops to get them loaded onto our devices at the expense of battery life and performance within the app..OR get an Android or iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 10:58 PM
    When was it last updated?

Posted via CB10
    Don't know...

I'd definitely like to see public transit schedules added in (I just use Google maps on the BlackBerry browser to fill that need). Any particular feature(s) you're looking for?

02-10-16 11:27 PM
    Don't know...

I'd definitely like to see public transit schedules added in (I just use Google maps on the BlackBerry browser to fill that need). Any particular feature(s) you're looking for?

Well it would be good to have new roads and restaurants etc circa 2016 vs 2013.
    02-11-16 07:07 PM
    QuickPost
    http://blck.by/1fci9Ue

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 09:02 PM
    NBA App, HOOQ... both not available for amazon and BlackBerry world

Spotify, Waze and Speed test available for Amazon

Overall this is the only android app that I needed on my device.. too bad I cant have NBA and HOOQ.. I only use android app available on amazon.. I avoided sideloading apps from google playstore which I have before.. After seeing deleted apps still on update list on my google playstore I decided to do a securiy swipe on my device..

Wishful thinking of having these 5 apps available on BlackBerry world app
    Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 01:11 AM
    Cross platform video chat as always along with MS Office.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 08:12 PM
    If they wanted BB10 to compete, they needed Snapchat. That ship has sailed now though.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, if BBM had gone x-platform much earlier, Snapchat wouldn't exist today... I'm 100%... ;-P

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-14-16 01:48 AM
    Yeah, if BBM had gone x-platform much earlier, Snapchat wouldn't exist today... I'm 100%... ;-P

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    Agreed.

As I'm sure you know, when JimB suggested that BB take BBM cross-platform, MikeL's response was a: "No, if they want to use BBM, they can buy a BlackBerry!".

xBBM could have been there years before Whatsapp, Snapchat, and the rest, and would likely have been the dominant messenger in the market given its millions of existing users. An advantage none of the others had as they had to build from zero users.

Remind me, just how many billions are those other companies worth now...?
    02-14-16 02:36 AM
42 12