What have you been smoking?
    Nothing. It's a personal bias from listening to people bash leadership - generally when they themselves have never been in a position of leadership / responsibility. The phrase "incompetent company" triggered the comment.

It's kind of a standard response to the Chen - haters.

Of course, now that I've explained myself, this likely means that you are a retired CEO or small business owner who has run a company quite successfully! That would be terribly amusing.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-04-16 10:48 AM
    Nothing. It's a personal bias from listening to people bash leadership - generally when they themselves have never been in a position of leadership / responsibility. The phrase "incompetent company" triggered the comment.

It's kind of a standard response to the Chen - haters.

Of course, now that I've explained myself, this likely means that you are a retired CEO or small business owner who has run a company quite successfully! That would be terribly amusing.

Terribly amusing would be a considerable improvement. In fact your post was simply irrelevant and boring. The whole company is incompetent, not just the 'dear leader' John Chen. But please do consign yourself to hero-worshipping CEOs since you don't seem to be able to muster any creative thoughts on your own.
    11-04-16 10:53 AM
    Terribly amusing would be a considerable improvement. In fact your post was simply irrelevant and boring. The whole company is incompetent, not just the 'dear leader' John Chen. But please do consign yourself to hero-worshipping CEOs since you don't seem to be able to muster any creative thoughts on your own.
    I wouldn't classify myself as a CEO hero-worshipper: it's more that I have respect for the difficulties of being in leadership.
    I am not going to pretend to be able to run a company better than him.

And, if my post is boring to you then that just re-inforces my decision to not pursue a career as a comedian.
    app_Developer and DrBoomBotz like this.
    11-04-16 10:58 AM
    • You're missing the patents BlackBerry owns.
    • You're missing the additional security layers they have brought to Android, even though you think people aren't interested in them I can tell you some certainly are.
    • You're missing the fact that despite the brand being beat up in a lot of regions, it's still attractive to many in other regions. You sound as though you have very North American thoughts when you really need to look beyond that.
    • You're also missing the fact that not everything BlackBerry related has to go into a 'smartphone'. eg: Look at what webOS turned into.
    • You're also missing the fact that BlackBerry doesn't REALLY have to make money in this arena, as long as they're not SPENDING money on handsets anymore, they can carry on with whatever other software ventures they have.

Just to name a few.
    * do wonder about the BLU lawsuit, (Blu, known for selling relatively affordable unlocked phones, infringed on 15 of BlackBerry’s patents. The patents in question revolve around processors, power management, mobile communication, and more. Because of the infringements, BlackBerry alleges, Blu “earned substantial revenue selling 2G, 3G, and LTE-compliant products that use BlackBerry’s technology.”) What did BLU do, as that would seem to be either part of the CHIPSET or part of the OS. Unless BLU is building their own chipsets....
    * I doubt the markets they have talked about care about licensing the security. As these are very price sensitive markets.
    * Do agree that some markets, there is still a value in the NAME. Problem is for just how much longer will that be true?
    * Don't see BB10 or especially BB Android (not theirs) being of any value..... if someone wanted an OS for a TV, think QNX would fit the bill much better.... no need to reboot on regular basis. QNX with some BlackBerry security know how might be used beyond automotive... but I don't a place for BB10.
    * You have to spend money to make money....

BB licensing strategy is milking the last little bit of milk out of a dead cow..... at least when it comes to hardware.
    11-04-16 11:26 AM
    I wouldn't classify myself as a CEO hero-worshipper: it's more that I have respect for the difficulties of being in leadership.
    I am not going to pretend to be able to run a company better than him.

And, if my post is boring to you then that just re-inforces my decision to not pursue a career as a comedian.

Let me guess ... another shareholder? I fully understand that you want dividends rather than good products ...
    11-04-16 11:26 AM
    Let me guess ... another shareholder? I fully understand that you want dividends rather than good products ...
    Nope.
    A BB fan.
    A person who gets tired of leadership-bashing in general, especially where it's being done by people who have never been in leadership themselves.
    DrBoomBotz and StephanieMaks like this.
    11-04-16 11:52 AM
    Why the knock on us shareholders? Without us you wouldn't have anything except for a fancy pager.....
    Ronindan likes this.
    11-04-16 12:48 PM
    Why the knock on us shareholders? Without us you wouldn't have anything except for a fancy pager.....
    Well I prefer a fancy pager to a software that I won't use . We are the consumers remember
    11-05-16 06:39 AM
    Nope.
    A BB fan.
    A person who gets tired of leadership-bashing in general, especially where it's being done by people who have never been in leadership themselves.
    Just because someone hasnt been a CEO doesn't mean they can't recognize a CEO who is an *****.
    Last edited by ray689; 11-05-16 at 12:43 PM.
    11-05-16 09:30 AM
    That's what the incompetent company known as BlackBerry needs to make a profit but someone else might be able to make lower quantities profitably.
    I suspect the true cost of BB10 is not slapping it onto a phone, but maintaining it. Maybe some government would be happy with 20000 phones that use a secure OS like BB10, but I doubt they would be happy with one that has no security updates or support going forward. You would need to continue security updates and browser updates, and maybe sdk updates for enterprise apps as a minimum. Then what happens when the company wants access to their Sharepoint server and Microsoft isn't updating whatever they need to?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-05-16 09:41 AM
    That's [10 million units] what the incompetent company known as BlackBerry needs to make a profit but someone else might be able to make lower quantities profitably.
    Yes, in unicorn land.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-06-16 09:40 AM
    I wonder when Bla1ze will be moving to Jakarta ? Much better climate.
    11-06-16 02:48 PM
    Just because someone hasnt been a CEO doesn't mean they can't recognize a CEO who is an *****.
    I had a boss once who had a great attitude. His attitude was that "if you are going to appear in my doorway with a complaint, then I expect you to have an idea to offer on how to rectify the problem".

I have over 35 years working as a staff person in a largely unionized company- listening regularly to people who have never had any kind of leadership role bashing management. Or, bashing how much money management is paid for "doing nothing". I have done just enough supervision to understand how tough it is: I have had to prepare the paper on, "you have 4 analysts, including yourself. If we have to lay one off, which one will it be". All of those people had 15+ years of service in and if laid off, their lives were going to be seriously disrupted.
    There's more to a leadership job than just sitting at a desk drinking coffee and figuring out how to screw people over.

So, you have a valid point, but part of me wants to say "ok, if you are so smart, let's see you demonstrate how to do it better!"
    It's like why I don't take marital advice from people who are divorced.
    JeepBB, Jack Chin and MikeX74 like this.
    11-07-16 08:31 AM
    I had a boss once who had a great attitude. His attitude was that "if you are going to appear in my doorway with a complaint, then I expect you to have an idea to offer on how to rectify the problem".

I have over 35 years working as a staff person in a largely unionized company- listening regularly to people who have never had any kind of leadership role bashing management. Or, bashing how much money management is paid for "doing nothing". I have done just enough supervision to understand how tough it is: I have had to prepare the paper on, "you have 4 analysts, including yourself. If we have to lay one off, which one will it be". All of those people had 15+ years of service in and if laid off, their lives were going to be seriously disrupted.
    There's more to a leadership job than just sitting at a desk drinking coffee and figuring out how to screw people over.

So, you have a valid point, but part of me wants to say "ok, if you are so smart, let's see you demonstrate how to do it better!"
    Well, he should be given the chance. Maybe he'll turn out to be the next Jobs. So by this logic you won't have the chance to critique anyone because you should do a better job at the exact position.
    11-07-16 09:28 AM

While I appreciate your comment and understand where you are coming from, union workers complaining about management making too much is not a fair comparison.

Lets look at Chen for a minute. At the previous 2 earnings calls, he makes statements that muddy up the direction/stance of the company causing media to interpret what he says which then leads to both him and others in the company needing to do follow up interviews to clarify what he meant over several weeks to follow. A real confident and competent Leader does not give half assed wishy washy and conflicting messages. They make their plan and explain it thoroughly with no room for interpretation. It's doesnt take a genius or a former CEO to know that Chen has continuously screwed this up.
    11-07-16 09:39 AM
    Only in regards to hardware

Blackberry's primary focus has been on software and MDM ever since BBOS died.
    BB10 was never going to replace the revenue from BBOS and they knew that
    11-10-16 08:23 AM
41 12