So, a well known strategy - not sure who actually started this but certainly perfected by Apple, was to massively overcharge for more memory in phones. Anywhere from $100 to $150 per memory increase (from 16 to 32 to 64gb).

What I would really like is a strategy similar to the pc industry where you can choose the cpu. If Chen is really managing the inventory closely, why not offer different levels of the Snapdragon processor (assuming that a different cpu in the same series at different clockspeeds and mem would still work)

That way, those of us willing to pay - like me - the extra money to get a top level processor can do that.

I would gladly pay more to get a Passport like cpu in the potential Rio versus another outdated dual-core 1.5 ghz with 2gb of mem. The rest is fine to me.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leejayh; 01-01-15 at 10:22 PM.
    12-30-14 10:52 PM
    With more choices means more inventory and investment, because to get the cheapest price usually people buy in bulk instead of single item.

There will be a chance of leftover due to favorites and not so favorite items. Assambling the device also made a chance of wrong specifications that causes return of the items.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and howarmat like this.
    12-31-14 12:32 AM
    There would have to be alot more certification also with government agencies. I don't see this ever happening for BB. There will be phones that are modular eventually, Google's Project Ara is an example but this will be an expensive niche product.
    12-31-14 01:46 AM
    With more choices means more inventory and investment, because to get the cheapest price usually people buy in bulk instead of single item.

There will be a chance of leftover due to favorites and not so favorite items. Assambling the device also made a chance of wrong specifications that causes return of the items.

Posted via CB10
    +1000

Passport really does everything with its beast specs, I don't have any problems except one thing... I want another one!

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-31-14 02:39 AM
    It would be a sign that BlackBerry doesn't know what it's doing. How about including the CPU that makes the phone work great rather than asking the end user to decide what processor they want to include?
    12-31-14 02:48 AM
    I'd like to see this option as well. I want the BlackBerry experience with top of the line specs. Does the device need it? Some would argue and say no, but as a consumer willing to pay for that minimal speed I'd like it.

Posted via CB10
    drkpitt likes this.
    12-31-14 10:40 AM
    It's too hard for the average person to judge the value of such an upgrade. Things like storage and battery life are easily quantifiable and easy to up-sell. If I buy this upgraded model I can store x number more songs, and my phone will last x number more hours before the battery runs out. I can easily judge whether those things are worth the extra money to me. If the processor is faster though, how do I know that the increased processor will upgrade my user experience by at least the value of the extra price? So it would increase the inventory risk to BB without giving the customer a very useful choice.

Upgrades shouldn't be about better specs. They should be about upgraded usefulness to the customer. The customer should easily be able to understand how the upgraded feature makes their life better. Apple isn't up-selling more megabytes. That's not worth an extra 100 bucks to most people. They are up-selling the ability to store more songs, movies, and pictures. That's potentially worth an extra hundred bucks. See, it can be framed in a way that people care about. Upgraded processor is harder to frame in a way that makes it easy to spend significantly more for the upgrade.
    early2bed and TGR1 like this.
    01-01-15 09:41 AM
    I'd personally prefer any device with a larger official battery pack option and official cases to go with it like for example Z10 and third party battery pack and door cover. I don't really care about thickness, I shouldn't have to worry about my battery if I'm on the go. Yes, I understand you can buy external packs but it's not really practical. I have a Z30 btw.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 05:20 PM
    choices like these will lead to BB going in reverse. in the end they will spend/lose money and end up near bankrupt again.
    01-01-15 05:23 PM
    I hear what you are all saying. I guess the alternative is that they need to find a way to make smaller runs of products and shorten the product cycle.

I mean, my ask is not too dissimilar than what Apple has been doing. The 3gs, 4, 4s, etc really where fairly minor increases in cpu and the addition of network bands like lte.

I guess I continue to ask - where is the monster all touch phone. And Jesus, it can't be that hard to make. And, we know all the happy z10owners would be happy to upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 10:26 PM