In an interview with Financial Post, Research In Motion�s co-CEO Jim Balsillie, touched on a few things for RIM�s future. Jim was quoted as saying:

We�ve leapfrogged everyone with what we�re announcing [on Tuesday] and you�re going to see it on display�We built an engine back in the mid-90s that served us incredibly well for 15 years, and in the past couple of years, we�ve had to build the engine of the future while still driving the engine we�ve got.�
    In the interview, Balsillie also said we can expect to see the new platform labeled as BlackBerry X (BBX) as we previously heard rumor to. We�re very excited for all of the announcements tomorrow and we will be live blogging the keynotes. Keep it locked to N4BB for all of your BlackBerry DevCon news!

N4BB

RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie Confirms BBX and Claims it ‘Leap Frogs’ the Competition | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews)

So excited. I really hope they deliver....
    10-17-11 09:43 PM
    Dual core devices are already available.
    10-17-11 09:54 PM
    OMG i hope so. So Friggen tired of bad press. Lets get BB7 out there and put into the hands of kids. Time to start giving phones to carriers to give away as promo's?
    10-17-11 09:54 PM
    Front camera devices are already available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 10:01 PM
    im pretty sure they said the same thing with the playbook....
    10-17-11 10:06 PM
    Lol RIM leapfrog everyone I'm literally laughing out loud after reading that. This just isn't believable at all after the storm then playbook release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    K Bear likes this.
    10-17-11 10:14 PM
    This all sounds familiar. . .

"The PlayBook “will be the most significant development for RIM since the launch of the first BlackBerry,” said Balsillie on a conference call with analysts."

Oops.

RIM's Balsillie predicts 'highly successful' PlayBook launch, expands app ecosystem | ZDNet
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-17-11 10:18 PM
    Over the years I have learnt not to believe every thing Ball-Silly says.If it's Mike then he is more credible.But Ball-Silly is a lot of hot air and very little substance.Some famous quotes

"Blackberry Torch 9800 is a quantum leap over competition"
    Referring to OS 7 devices "Their Jaws dropped, the carrier's"
    "Blackberry Playbook is better than anything out there"

Ball-Silly is all hot air and really he should be the first one to go for RIM to change.If u can't trust the CEO whom do u trust in the company then?
    10-17-11 10:21 PM
    “Once you see the new platform…you’ll be all very surprised,” RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie said during the company’s earnings call Thursday. “…I think you’ll just be amazed that how it’s a quantum leap over anything that’s out there….I just wish I could wind the clock forward a few weeks.”
    this was dicussing the release of OS 6 and OS 6 devices

Research in Motion CEO Eager to Show Off New BlackBerry 6 Platform, Smartphone Models - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-17-11 10:22 PM
    Lol RIM leapfrog everyone I'm literally laughing out loud after reading that. This just isn't believable at all after the storm then playbook release.
    Spoken like a true iPhone disciple.
    Because it's so hard to believe that a multibillion dollar tech company could put out the latest tech
    10-17-11 10:25 PM
    I really hope this is true. I'm gonna just expect nothing, because if I expect a lot, I will be disappointed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-17-11 10:33 PM
    im pretty sure they said the same thing with the playbook....
    And its was true minus a few items that required time to implement, hopping tomorrow is that time. PlayBook kicks a** and its getting better, sweeeeeeet!
    10-17-11 10:33 PM
    Because it's so hard to believe that a multibillion dollar tech company could put out the latest tech
    If we're talking about RIM, it is.

Their quantum leap Playbook has sold less units in it's entire life than either iPad sold on it's first day... every one of their quantum leap OS 7 phones combined have sold less than iPhone 4S did in a weekend. I am very excited to hear about their latest quantum leap.

The only thing doing a quantum leap is RIM's stock and market share into the ground. Lets be honest here.
    10-17-11 10:34 PM
    OK people avoid the flame bait and wait for tomorrow.
    Chrisy and chiefbroski like this.
    10-17-11 10:39 PM
    Yo prove your point about the iphone 4s outselling all os 7 device till now in one day.

I had all three previous iphones and the 4 was garbage as far as an actusl phone goes.. We bought three in our company and all have been warrantied. Two are un usable as phones and i have since picked up a 9900 which i love. I only miss tiny wings on my iphone which is now soley used as an ipop by my wife to play angry birds.

Everyone bought into the iphone hype but alot of people have moved on to better devices. If everyone is able to buy an iphone including the 12 year olds in the play ground. adults and young adults arent going to crave them much longer.

Siri is not going to attract techies because we see it for what it is, a weak effort to launch something new when all other smartphones already have something similar.

The apple is no longer fresh and is starting to rott but continue to avoid dealing with its reality
    Jake Storm, ekv, jesse_h and 1 others like this.
    10-17-11 10:44 PM
    every one of their quantum leap OS 7 phones combined have sold less than iPhone 4S did in a weekend.
    Oh? Apparently you have access to sales figures to which rest of us aren't privy.

Would you be kind enough to share your source? Considering that this is a Blackberry forum, I'm sure that the majority of the users here would be very interested.
    10-17-11 10:44 PM
    Any multi-billion dollar can succeed on putting out the latest tech, now RIM...thats another story. The Playbook flop is a fine example.
    10-17-11 10:45 PM

Their quantum leap Playbook has sold less units in it's entire life than either iPad sold on it's first day... every one of their quantum leap OS 7 phones combined have sold less than iPhone 4S did in a weekend. I am very excited to hear about their latest quantum leap.

The only thing doing a quantum leap is RIM's stock and market share into the ground. Lets be honest here.
    End of thread.
    10-17-11 10:47 PM
    Im gonna be honest I am not sure there is a quantum leap that is available in smartphones anymore. Sure you can put really great things on them (Siri), but what can be put on a phone that would make anyone really really say wow I had no idea that was possible?

Guess we will see when DEVCON gets rolling.
    10-17-11 11:20 PM
    double post
    Last edited by EdwardBlackberryHands; 10-17-11 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Double Post
    10-17-11 11:20 PM

if you weren't so in-secured of RIM's(QNX) prowesses you wouldn't be here to comment..and that says a lot about Playbook and the Blackberry...sales will come just relax after all it is still doing a better job than gazillion other Android tablets. As far the tablet OS goes it did leap the completion on what it does namely multi-tasking, desktop quality Flash performance, full web fidelity, Blackberry Bridge, Wifi sharing/syncing, OTA etc.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 10-17-11 at 11:40 PM.
    10-17-11 11:24 PM
    sales will come just relax after all it is still doing a better job than gazillion other Android tablets.
    To say the PlayBook is doing a better job than all the Android tablets that aren't selling isn't all that encouraging.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    10-17-11 11:26 PM
    Full interview for context: RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie: �We�ve leapfrogged everyone� | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

The leapfrog is explained here:

Matt Hartley: I think everyone�s really excited to see what RIM has up its sleeves tomorrow. RIM does seem to have a lot riding on the QNX platform and what it�s going to look like on BlackBerry devices, but there are already some people out there who are worried this may not be enough to really wow the tech industry. Does that concern you at all?

Jim Balsillie: Impossible. Impossible. This is quantifiable. It�s irrefutable. It�s impossible. If you take HTML5 scores, we have the highest HTML5 scores. It�s quantifiable. If you take the performance aspects and the scalability and the certifications of the BBX platform, it�s irrefutable. You take the security, you take the scalability, you take the standard tooling, you take the performance aspects, you take the compliance scoring � I mean, if that�s not enough, do you want a time machine? You realize how huge a deal we are around the world? I hope you guys realize. I mean, I met three heads of state last week, 12 carrier CEOs. We are at 50% odd market share in many of these markets. We�re the number one brand in South Africa, and number one in the U.K. It�s funny, this whole narrative doesn�t fit. Where does that $20-billion of sales come from?

HTML5 scores, security certifications, scalability.
    10-17-11 11:28 PM
    Unfortunately Balsillie took a ride in the hot tub time machine and thought he was giving an interview back in the early 2000's when RIM finally put a speakerphone in their device.

In all seriousness, I would take this with a grain of salt. That grain should be the size of Jupiter.
    10-17-11 11:46 PM
    Full interview for context: RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie: �We�ve leapfrogged everyone� | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

The leapfrog is explained here:

Matt Hartley: I think everyone�s really excited to see what RIM has up its sleeves tomorrow. RIM does seem to have a lot riding on the QNX platform and what it�s going to look like on BlackBerry devices, but there are already some people out there who are worried this may not be enough to really wow the tech industry. Does that concern you at all?

Jim Balsillie: Impossible. Impossible. This is quantifiable. It�s irrefutable. It�s impossible. If you take HTML5 scores, we have the highest HTML5 scores. It�s quantifiable. If you take the performance aspects and the scalability and the certifications of the BBX platform, it�s irrefutable. You take the security, you take the scalability, you take the standard tooling, you take the performance aspects, you take the compliance scoring � I mean, if that�s not enough, do you want a time machine? You realize how huge a deal we are around the world? I hope you guys realize. I mean, I met three heads of state last week, 12 carrier CEOs. We are at 50% odd market share in many of these markets. We�re the number one brand in South Africa, and number one in the U.K. It�s funny, this whole narrative doesn�t fit. Where does that $20-billion of sales come from?

HTML5 scores, security certifications, scalability.
    I don't necessarily care for the way he is expressing his ideas, but he is basically right. BBOS and BBX (QNX) are basically running a baton race. UI-wise, OS 7 will end up right around where Tablet OS took off. Tomorrow, we're hopefully going to get to see where BBX goes next. But in addition, a phone that joins the tablet. The transition is being presented fairly seemlessly as far as the UI is concerned. Performance and scalability across devices exists now with the OS 7 devices. With BBX the scalability will exist from phone to tablet and across all product lines.

Having said that, I have no Bridge update as of right now, so I'm assuming the only opportunity I'll have to see 2.0 tomorrow is via the webcast. If we do get it tomorrow, however, that would really be Impossible. Impossible. This is quantifiable. It�s irrefutable. It�s impossible.
    10-18-11 12:02 AM
291 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD