If I had the chance to step in as CEO at RIM, here's the agenda I'd follow:

1. Discontinue anything older than the Torch 9800 immediately. Liquidate remaining inventory NOW. Heins said there were still many OS6 & 5 (!) devices to move. They're dead weight.
    2. Cash rebates to carriers to move OS7 devices... up the trade-in allowances... get as many OS5 users onto OS7 asap.
    3. Drop as many manufacturing partners as is feasible. We already know Celestica is winding down, but I believe there are 8 or 9 others... If they aren't making OS7 (or BB10) devices, starting winding them down.
    4. Open the recovery out to the community... be open to suggestions and reward good ones.
    5. Do anything and everything to convince a strong strategic partner to take an equity stake in the company and license BB10.
    06-29-12 01:56 PM
    Oh, and one more point: if developer engagement is that important, it's crucial that Alec Saunders make it clear just where BB10 is right now, and what the roadmap is between now and release...

Restoring trust needs to be Job One.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-29-12 02:03 PM
    Well put and I agree!

When I first read the topic I thought it was going to be another know it all kid saying some ******** stuff like, why doesn't rim use droid.
    06-29-12 02:10 PM
    Oh, and one more point: if developer engagement is that important, it's crucial that Alec Saunders make it clear just where BB10 is right now, and what the roadmap is between now and release...

Restoring trust needs to be Job One.
    They are perfectly clear. Before yesterday is was "on track" for Latter 2012. Now it is Q1 2013. In the conference call that occurs in actual Q1 2013 it will be moved back to Summer 2013 because it has to be perfect..... This is how RIM rolls. I thought thor changed this like he said he was doing, but apparently it is business as usual in Waterloo. Poor Alec is in the same position he was in when he was telling all the devs PB OS2 would be out Fall 2011 up until RIM pushed it back again.
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-29-12 at 02:16 PM.
    06-29-12 02:14 PM
    Only problem with one idea is that the lower end models are selling very well in some parts of the world, which generates income. Cutting off a profitable line (in spite of the fact that the devices are low end) probably isn't a great idea now. Just my two cents.

And, as stated, being honest would go a long way, but a lot of the trust (but not the blind faith) is gone.
    06-29-12 02:16 PM
    Only problem with one idea is that the lower end models are selling very well in some parts of the world, which generates income. Cutting off a profitable line (in spite of the fact that the devices are low end) probably isn't a great idea now. Just my two cents.

And, as stated, being honest would go a long way, but a lot of the trust (but not the blind faith) is gone.
    I'm not saying to drop Curve models. They do, indeed, seem to be doing well.

But if there are OS5 models still in production, there's something deeply wrong.
    06-29-12 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD