Greetings all,

First post here, and yes, I'm a newbie with questions unfortunately...

Right now, my mobile service is with Fido. After a long, long negotiation I managed to get the monthly package I always wanted. Almost.

My voice needs are well met, however I had this itch to get a data plan to get e-mail on the go, etc...

The Curve 8310 looked like a nice little phone, so I got that. However, as my luck would have it, my provider has completely dropped BB support. The most insulting part about it is that they still provide roaming for the likes of T-Mobile, but won't provide for their own clients. *groan*

So, from my understanding, these are my possible scenarios:
    • Voice, no data
      Keep my voice account, no data.
    • Voice + GPRS
      Basically, adding a non Blackberry data package to the mix, either using the phone as a modem or using third party apps to get to my mail.
    • Voice + BB, carrier switch
      Worst case scenario, would basically end up nearly tripling my bill.

Halp?!

Best case possible, I'd like to simply pay as I go for pop3 or something, but I'm guessing a BB plan is non negotiable since the device is made to work through RIM's VPN.

Can I at least use the phone as a phone?

Thanks, I'm guessing that this is asked quite a lot, but I can't seem to find anything.
    06-25-08 08:57 PM
    Yes you can still use your Blackberry as a phone, but without a BB plan youll be missing alot of the great things that the BB has to offer, your best solution would be option 3 really, if you just add GPRS you'll still be missing BIS and with that Push E-mail, also unless you get "real Unlimited" gprs plan your bill could end up really really high, in the end if it all comes down to money youll just have to think well through if all the extra expenses are really worth it.
    06-25-08 09:37 PM
    Pana is right. Really without data, there's no need to have a berry. None of the best features on the phone will work.

That being said, my question is... Why would your carrier even offer the curve if they don't support blackberry services at all?? That makes no sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 09:43 PM
    I agree with Pana and Jenay - you should switch carriers to someone who'll support your Berry. I've never heard of Fido - is that in the US?
    06-25-08 09:49 PM
    Hmm. I think I called someone once and their voicemail said something about "fido messaging.." Really though, what the eff is fido??

06-25-08 09:51 PM
    ^^^ I agree with all of what has been said thus far ^^^

And I add... Welcome to CrackBerry!
    06-25-08 09:53 PM
    Hmm. I think I called someone once and their voicemail said something about "fido messaging.." Really though, what the eff is fido??

hahaha... Jenay... that is why I f*cking love you!

I like you more and more every day... I say we make a wedding date. lmao
    06-25-08 09:53 PM
    you should change. like the previous ones have said you really dont get to use all features of the phone unless you have data.
    06-25-08 10:03 PM
    Push isn't a high priority for me. I just need to be able to get my mail one every full moon, since when I'm out of the office I basically fall of the grid until next day.

Basically, switching over to Rogers would expand my bill from 28$/month to 73$/month. I would loose some voice minutes/options in exchange for BIS services, for a lot more money.

Ideal solution would be to use a small GPRS package, period.

So, can I?
    06-25-08 10:03 PM
    Oh, and Fido used to be the fourth mobile player in Canada, now bought by Rogers.

Phone is unlocked from eBay.
    06-25-08 10:05 PM
    REALLY!

Fido is Rogers urban hip marketing arm. If they shut out Blackberry you will really want to switch to Mr Rogers neighborhood.

Fido got Uno, UMA for unlimited voice plus host your own data. Rogers is comitted to their own Wifi scheme, but where does that leave Fido?

Sit, Stay, Wait!
    Last edited by Stoner; 06-25-08 at 10:29 PM.
    06-25-08 10:07 PM
    REALLY!

Fido is Rogers urban hip marketing arm. If they shut out Blackberry you will really want to switch to Mr Rogers neighborhood.

hahaha... Mr Rogers neighborhood. LMFAO!
    06-25-08 10:12 PM
    If you move into mr rogers neighbour...wont you be my neighbour???

(btw im moving to rogers too )
    06-25-08 10:17 PM
    hahaha... Jenay... that is why I f*cking love you!

I like you more and more every day... I say we make a wedding date. lmao
    Hahaha.... Ill have to break it to repro that I'm no longer marrying him for his tight acura... But I think he'll understand.

How bout next spring? Lol...

06-25-08 10:21 PM
    Hahaha.... Ill have to break it to repro that I'm no longer marrying him for his tight acura... But I think he'll understand.

How bout next spring? Lol...

Lol, I never would have imagined so much drama coming out from this thread...!

Still looking for an answer though, can I bypass RIM's data packages with a simple GPRS setup, even if I need to get some third party apps?
    06-25-08 10:38 PM
    Am I the only one confused by the above image??

Anyhow, op, your best bet is to switch carriers. You cannot bypass the need for a data plan on any bb device.

06-25-08 10:41 PM
    Hehe, let's just say the thread was derailed...

Check, I'll get on the phone with Rogers tomorrow, *shudders*.
    06-25-08 11:09 PM
    Ohhh I thought that might be what you meant.

06-25-08 11:11 PM
    Hehe, let's just say the thread was derailed...

Check, I'll get on the phone with Rogers tomorrow, *shudders*.
    Haha, I was going to say this thread is a train wreck. Close enough eh?

I would call Rogers and explain your situation. They may give you a deal.
    06-25-08 11:15 PM
    Yeah, a gprs data pack would only get you the ability to hit mobile mail sites, not get the push email blackberrys are known for. Time to get out of the doghouse!

06-25-08 11:21 PM
    fgervais, I just signed up to say that it is completely worth the money. This phone is capable of so much more and you are holding it back by not letting it off of its leash. Drop the dog and pay up, it is worth it brother. Thanks.
    06-26-08 09:07 AM
    You could try downloading the opera mini browser and see if you can get it working with your carriers APN settings. If this works you can use the generic data package to pay for it.

06-26-08 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD